The true essentials for baby number 1

CARNAT22

Reaction score
I was looking through the changing bag thread last night (they are all so pretty!!)

It got me thinking though, what exactly do you need for your first baby?

Is a pretty changing bag a proper essential of can you just pick up a large, cheap bag and and use that?

There are all sorts of gizmo's out there but how much of it is needed?

I am still a long way away from buying anything but I'd be interested to hear people's views? Or if there is already a thread maybe someone can point me in the direction

xxxxxxxxxx

i would be interested in this too - we have said that we are only going to get what is absolutely necessary though like yourself have not bought anything yet and wont for a while either xx

The true essentials (I think!) are:
Pushchair/ travel system/car seat
Moses basket/crib/cot and sheets
Chest of drawers for clothes
Nappies
Wipes
Vests
Sleepsuits
Socks
Hats
Coat/warm jacket depending on time of year
Couple of blankets
Changing bag (sometimes u get one free with ur pushchair, if not boots give one away if u r part of their parenting club)
Bouncer/rocker (just make sure it's suitable from birth)
Dummies
Steriliser
Bottles
Pump
Muslin cloths (both for burping and Henry loves his muzzy as a comforter)
Infacol just in case!

Think that's it for pure basics. Loads more u could get but I haven't found essential. kezza did a list somewhere of everything (I'm sure someone will have the link) but its very daunting and not essential.

Hope that helps xxxxx

I agree with all that Larlybelle has said as the basics..

The only reason we ended up getting our glider chair and the changing bag is because I got a tax rebate of £700, I also do think it's important that you have stuff that you want for your baby as well, up until the tax rebate everything I had bought was just because it was essential and it was leaving me feeling a bit put out that I couldn;t buy some 'nice' things for my baby, I know my baby is a 'nice' thing obviously, I don;t know how to explain it.....

xxx

I have never used a changing bag, feeding chair, changing station, baby bath, pram, nappy bin thing!
I use a lovely big bag as a nappy bag, I wear my baby (easier around the shops then buy a cheap fold up buggy for toddler in that too heavy to carry too shaky to walk far stage)
All you need are nappies, clothes (hardly any newborn size, start 0-3), big bag and changing mat.
I use a Moses basket next to my bed then into a cot when too big for the basket x

A big bag would def work as well, but I don't think I'd like to use it, unless it had lots of compartments like a changing bag. I find it difficult enough to find stuff as it is.

I wouldn't say a rocker is essential - G prefers lying on her changing mat.

Basically -
somewhere to sleep with bedding.
A way to travel, - pram or sling
Nappies and wipes
Sleepsuits - to do them cheaper wait till baby is here. We have lots of 0-3 cos everyone said don't bother with newborn, but even at 7lbs newborn was still huge. 0-3 look like tattie sacks on G at 7weeks!! Plus I'm surprised at the level of gifts we've been given - and now have far more 0-3 stuff than I think she'll wear - coulda saved a fortune that way. Xxx

i never have used a changing station and only used a bath for my first 2 to much faffing about lol big bath is wat i use so much easier :) changing bag well i got one with a few of my prams and a free huggies one also but i would say just a big bag realy dont need nothing fancy, u can waste a lot of money buying things that truthfully u will use very little of :-/ i would like a crib thjo for bedroom and not a moses basket cos they last all of 5 mins and i dont like using cot for a a gd few months mostly bcos i have tiny babies n they look very helpless in such a big cot lol xx

I think a bit like Bella, I will buy the essentials for us, sleeping feeding travelling and washing equipment but i also WANT to buy the nice things :lol: xxx

Thanks ladies,

This is all very insightful.

As I say it's going to be a while until we invest in anything yet.

We're still is a (big) one bed so we don't have a nursery to worry about yet.

I think a pram will be essential for me as I am just too scared to wear the baby :shock: Especially with it being a winter baby.

I think we'll start thinking about things a lot more after 20 week scan. We have decided after 12 week scan to make a plan of all the needs doing / buying for the household in general (we have a lot of space but are not using it very effiecently so we need to sort out a lot, throw out a lot, and invest in some cheap draws for inside our walk in closets and cupboards!)

I was getting a bit ahead of myself but it's handy to know what we truly need and what are luxuries!

xxxxxxxxxx

We'll be buying the essentials this time around.

moses/cot with bedding
pram/carseat/change bag
bath seat (easier when bathing 2 together)/changing mat/essentials like nappies wipes etc
bouncer
feeding equipment - bottles/steriliser/dummys/pump

Then I'll just need clothes, baby will be in sleep suits for at least the first 4-6 months except special occasions like xmas :) where baby will have a special outfit. x

I used a table with my changing mat on but then i did have a section so was glad of the height when changing my little nipper it all depends on how you give birth and how the baby likes things i kept alot from Leo so not got much to buy but have Replaced the stuff that is tatty

29 weeks pregnant. Team yellow x

This is a great thread! We are a long time off buying anything yet but have started to plan what we might need and what everything might cost.

It's really interesting to hear what people have and haven't used.

Did anyone use a travel cot/play pen type thing? We've got a large house and I'm worried when bubba starts rolling and crawling that I won't be able to cook/wee/get a drink and keep both eyes on bubba as things are quite spread out. Temped by a travel cot/play pen so I can keep bubba in the same room, but know they are safe whilst making lunch and stuff.

I just took AJ with me :lol: I still cant pee in peace and he's 3!
If I needed to cook etc, I'd pop him in the highchair/cot where I knew he was safe and could let him play.

I just took AJ with me :lol: I still cant pee in peace and he's 3!
If I needed to cook etc, I'd pop him in the highchair/cot where I knew he was safe and could let him play.

haha u will never pee in peace again hehe yer as they get older just take them with u and i plan to get a jumperoo they look fabby xx

It's going to get pretty cramped in the loo then! The dog likes to come with me as well and he's nearly as big as I am! I'm not sure I'll fit myself, a child and a dog in the downstairs loo!

I used a playpen before our stair gates were put on but a travel cot folds into a nice bag so easily stored!

I would also add some kind of chair is handy for a little one as sometimes they like a different view I've got the fisher price infant to toddler rocker my ds loved it so kept it for this baby!

When you make a cuppa or wee , you have to carry them with you unless their asleep, you get extremely good at the one handed thing! things just take longer. (My OH has not done enougth of it as he still can't hold Devon for long now, but then he doesn't have any hips to stick out to hold baby on, now Devon is older).

Toilet trips - Well as the ladies said - baby comes too. I used to have a changing mat on the landing ready, then used to move it to by my feet in the loo , (it's not a bathroom, just a tiny seperate loo, so couldn't even shut the door!). Now Devon is 15 mths, hes still not really walking, but can stand and bang the back of the loo door while I go!!

Save some cash for at least 2 stair gates once baby gets moving about. We have one on the lounge and one on our bedroom door where Devon sleeps, the rest of the house is not babyproof!

You don't need a changing unit, if you have a chest of drawers, most changing mats fit nicely on the top and don't worry it doesn't have edges to hold it on like a changer, you will always have one hand on baby at any time, so their not going anywhere!!

You do get far too many clothes in 0-3, I never give clothes as a pressie anymore , I always get weaning plasticware as no-one gets that , so no double ups! I would just get essential babygrows to start you off, as there is nothing nicer than a trip to the shops with your newborn to purchase a pink or blue something in the right size..

I have got a pram, travel system one that comes with a car seat, car seat being very essential for us. A Moses basket and blankets. Pram blankets. Bottles and sterilising equipment, nappies, wipes. A changing mat for the floor. Some vests and basic baby grows mostly newborn and up to 1 month, we're team yellow so not going overboard with clothes. And a few nice knitted cardis.

Havnt bothered with a changing station, and got a changing bag with my pram.

Could go wild spending, this is a great thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back