Tens machine

Natalie8964

Reaction score
Just wondering if any lovely ladies here have used a tens machine in labour and have any feedback? There is a highly rated one on Amazon which has 20% off at the minute, I'm tempted but thought I'd see if any mummies had any thoughts on using one :) TIA x

I’ve not used one but I’ve heard mixed reviews.. they work really well for some but can make labour worse for others. I think baby’s position makes a big difference there. Does your hospital give you the option to hire one? Mine did. It may be cheaper than buying one.

@WinterWolf I'm not sure, I think I'd rather have my own so I can use it in early labour. I've heard mostly good things, but might hold off until I'm a bit further along or have some more feedback!

I haven't really heard of anyone that has used one. Would love to hear some reviews though x

I did hire one through the NCT when pregnant with my son. Think it was about £25 and you had it for something like 8 weeks spanning due date. In the end I had a super quick labour so didn’t actually get it out of the case Sorry not much help!

I hired one from the community midwives at about 38 weeks. I didn't have a particularly straightforward labour unfortunately so it's difficult to say if it helped or not. I managed to get into established labour using one before I had complications and had to be admitted. I certainly could have carried on using it at home pain wise for longer had I not needed to go in. Although I can't give a clear success story, I'd certainly be willing to give it a try again. Hope that helps.

I used Babycare Elle Tens machine for both my labours.

During the first labour it was a huge help, especially for the car journey to hospital.

For my second labour, it made the pain worse - BUT it was a different sort of pain with the Tens so I continued using it for a while as a distraction.

If we were having another, it would definitely be going in my hospital bag again. X

I used a tens machine in my first labour, i hated it. It made me feel more uncomfortable. Although I was well into my labour when my midwife suggested trying it. So I was probably too far gone. It maybe works best for early labour and contractions. Everyone is different but so it could be a real help for you, worth a try! Anything is worth a try hehe.

I used a tens machine in my last labour. I'm not convinced it helped with pain relief, however I do feel it gave me a distraction using the boost button with each contraction. I plan to use tens again this time

My plan is to water birth. But if for any reason I can not do the water birth as planned I would definitely try this. I have never given birth before but I think anything that is not a drug that could potentially help is worth a go. Maybe I will buy one *just in case*.

My plan is to water birth. But if for any reason I can not do the water birth as planned I would definitely try this. I have never given birth before but I think anything that is not a drug that could potentially help is worth a go. Maybe I will buy one *just in case*.
My plan is water birth too but tens machine is most effective in early labour, so id be using it while labouring at home until I got to the birth centre to use the pool x

I haven’t used one myself but have heard many many positive things about them. I will consider it this time.
I’ve seen women in labour saying it’s not working, they take it off and then realise how well it actually was working ;)

top tip..... not to be used in the water :lol:

I haven't used one before but given it a go this time. I've just rented one. Really hope it will help with the early labour as I intend to stay home for as long as I can. Will hopefully be able to tell u what it like in the next few weeks:cheer:

I haven't used one before but given it a go this time. I've just rented one. Really hope it will help with the early labour as I intend to stay home for as long as I can. Will hopefully be able to tell u what it like in the next few weeks:cheer:

Little did I know how soon I'd get to use one..
I did fine it useful. I didnt need to have it blasting though as it was so strong. I was able to have a natural birth. I'm not sure if it was because off this or what. I def did find it a useful distraction when the contractions were non stop. With the help off freya app (hypnobirthing). Would use one again.

Last edited:
Little did I know how soon I'd get to use one..
I did fine it useful. I didnt need to have it blasting though as it was so strong. I was able to have a natural birth. I'm not sure if it was because off this or what. I def did find it a useless distraction when the contractions were non stop. With the help off freya app (hypnobirthing). Would use one again.
Thank you so much for your feedback! I've got the freya app too, so I plan on using both! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back