TENS Machine?

JulyBug

Reaction score
What's everyones opinion on TENS machines? My midwife highly recommends them so have been looking into buying one - do they actually make any difference to the pain? I imagine there's mixed opinions but would love to hear your thoughts.

x

I think mine helped. Not sure if it was more the distraction of it or what but definitely worth a try in this situation! Also you'll be able to use it after for any other aches and pains etc x

I liked mine. It may have just been a distraction, but it was nice to have something to do and a different sensation during the pain

Didn't really help me in afraid but I'm a really big wimp.

My partner went and bought one after I had a painful false labour a week before the real thing. Baby was back to back, but I managed to turn her in that week and the actual labour wasn't as painful!
I used the tens up until getting in the pool and it felt nice and tingly... I'm not sure if it did much but distract from the contractions. I kept cranking it up and my partner couldn't believe how high I had it come the end. He'd tried it on himself and couldn't get past the second setting without feeling it was too strong lol
So I think it's worth it even for the distraction - as Wednesday mentioned, for something to do. It's nice to have something you feel you can take charge of and control while contractions are happening.

Last edited:
Mine did nothing for me unfortunately, i actually felt better when I decided to take it off. I felt all my contractions in my back though so that might have been why!

Think I'll follow this post! I have been lent a TENS machine by a friend who said it was amazing for her. I'd read that they're most helpful during the early part of labour. I'm hoping to only have baby with gas & air, don't want to be high as a kite on various drugs if I can help it! (Obviously I'm well prepared for that to change!). Will be interesting to read everyone's experiences!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back