taking baby home from hospital help

warrior princess

Reaction score
we dont have a car so was hoping to get a lift after my baby is born from the hospital.
but i have heard that you have to have a car seat fitted.
this seams an expensive buy for us as it will be a 10-15 min journey only and we wont use it again.
anyone now if it is ok to use a taxi without a car seat :?
anyone had the same problem

:shock: you can't take a baby in a car without a car seat- what if you crashed!?

could you get home another way? Walk/Bus?

Jade x

get a big taxi.. andput the baby in the pram..cant you borrow one? are you planning to never travel by car anywhere? try ebay for a 2nd hand 1.. a 2nd hand carseats better than no seat imo..

personal opinion here.. but people who dont put their kids in carseats are child abusers in my eyes, all to often i see peoples kids standin up on the back seat poking their tongue out at me.. their parents deserve to be shot.. poor kids imagine they crashed.. they would die instantly!!!!! sick!

If you get a Black Cab, you'd be able to get in with a pram but I doubt they would let you with just a baby and nothing else, it's too dangerous. Is there a way you could borrow one if that's the only option? Otherwise, buses/trains/walking? You really can't take a baby home in a car without a carseat, it's really not a good plan.

Good call from Lisa there, a second hand carseat could be the way forward if it's really your only option. Or you can buy brand new *cheap* ones off kiddicare.

click here and while they might not be the best quality, they still have to pass safety ratings to be able to be sold in the first place. You could get one of those and keep it somewhere in case you 'get lifts' anywhere else, ie hospital emergencies, in future?

x

our hospital wouldnt let us leave until they had seen a car seat :shock: and made sure baby was strapped in.

i'd sau 2nd hand one too then wud be best

leckershell said:
If you get a Black Cab, you'd be able to get in with a pram but I doubt they would let you with just a baby and nothing else, it's too dangerous. Is there a way you could borrow one if that's the only option? Otherwise, buses/trains/walking? You really can't take a baby home in a car without a carseat, it's really not a good plan.
and its illegal

As everyone else has said really, you cannot take a baby home without a car seat if you're going via a vehicle, they will not let you, its illegal and dangerous!!!
I think you should get a car seat, they aren't that expensive and do come in very handy and I'm sure you'll go in a car atleast once during his/her life or even if you travel by train it will be useful!

warrior princess said:
we dont have a car so was hoping to get a lift after my baby is born from the hospital.
but i have heard that you have to have a car seat fitted.
this seams an expensive buy for us as it will be a 10-15 min journey only and we wont use it again.
anyone now if it is ok to use a taxi without a car seat :?
anyone had the same problem

Put on your running shoes

I can only confirm what everyone else has said.

I'm sure you can buy a second hand one from ebay or find one for free in your area on the gumtree website, i think.
:hug:

be wary of second hand car seats unles you know their history (ie if they come from a friend or relative so you know they haven't been in an accident) like a cycle helmet you should replace your car seat if there has been an accident as the stresses on it mean that if there was another accidetn it may not be up to the job.. and that is not a risk you want to take....

Your hospital should be able to loan/rent you one.

You should then be able to ask the taxi to return the seat once you've been dropped off!

Call your hospital and ask, they should be able to help!

xxx

lots of mini cab offices have baby seats so if you call and book a cab you could ask for a baby seat and they will fit it to the drivers car before they collect you. do you not know anyone with a baby that could drive you? otherwise you'll just have to buy 1 im sure it would come in useful again at some point.

Do you know anyone who could lend you one if thats the only time you will be using it? Otherwise you will have to buy a cheap one if you can but I agree with what others have said about being wary of used car seats your don't want to be taking any risks with your precious little one.
One thing to consider is what if you need to get a tax somewhere in the future, friends give you a lift somewhere surely you must have lifts occassionally off friends relatives what are you going to do with baby then? In my opinion a cheap car seat to have incase its needed is well worth the cost!

Hate to say it but legally you are allowed babies and kids in a taxi in your arms, if no other option is available to you taxi wise. I have never done it but you are allowed.

kellysomer said:
http://www.safekids.co.uk/NewCarSeatLaws2006.html

Thought i had better back the above up with the evidence....

Ok even though it maybe legal it still isn't advisable because Taxi's can still have accidents just as any other vehicle, it's a small price to pay to be safe!

yeah its odd you can take them in buses and taxi's without a carseat but not in car :think:

try and borrow one but make sure you know its history,

good luck with the birth :D

thanks for all the advice
looked at a few local taxi firms and some have baby seats avalible will book one of them when the time arrives

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back