Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)

sam96031

Reaction score
is anyone else suffering from this? if so what are you doing to alleviate the pain?

i have it and at the moment just put up with it, i had it so bad with my last baby i couldnt walk atall but it wasnt a recognised thing then so just put up with it.
Nothing worked anyway but you could try the odd paracetamol.
I hope you feel better soon.

I am suffering with it! when does it hurt you most??

Mine is any time my legs are not together:

Stairs - Do them at home on my bum avoid them when out

Getting dressed - on a chair

Shower - sit on edge of bath and swing legs in

Car - sit first then swing legs in

Generaly taking it slow and i have developed a lovely little shuffle for walking around everyone thinks its very funny but i think it hurts less so i dont care!!

Hope your ok!!

Its the sleeping!!! i cant seem to get comfy and when i turn over i feel like screaming because im not awake enough to remember to keep my legs together!

mommymoo definitely the sleeping is the worst i can never get comfy and turning over hurts so much! stairs hurt, walking hurts, and definitely picking Emma up hopefully going to mention it to consultant that it is getting worst and he will either get me a belt or GP will refer on to physio.
hope both of you get some help soon its a horrible thing to put up with :( :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ufff... I don't envy you. I had this also but it seems to have eased up now. I found that swimming and sleeping with a pillow between my legs helped immensely.

Get well soon. :hug:

I do but only mildly.
Big :hug: cause it sounds like some of you ladies are really suffering.

I got a belt from the hopsital after a quick phsyio session which was more showing you about your pelvic floor excercises etc. It doesn't help with the pain really but it DOES help you feel safe walking around because you can feel your hips strapped together :rotfl:

I find it hurts mostly at night and/or when I have been stood up/walking for more than 10mins. I get really bad aching starting in my hips/pelvis which progresses up my back and down my legs the longer I stay up. Suddenly I feel like I've lost all the support in my joints and they are aching and spongy :(

Can get it sitting down as well though but I just shuffle around on the chair whenever it gets uncomfortable.

Pretty much all you can do unless you have it bad enough to need crutches is take paracetamol when it's really hurting and try to find poistions you can swap between so that the pressure doesn't stay built up in the same area for too long.
You also should keep you legs spaced out properly (parralell (sp?) to hips) you shouldn't cross them or spread them out wide :wink:

I have to say and have to be careful not to jinx myself but I had it worse earlier on and its eased a little now and Im guessing it is because I don't do anything! :rotfl: No I mean it! I don't walk anywhere except maybe a max of 300-400 metres at a time! I don't stand unless I seriously have too, I don't lift anything now unless I have too, I don't push or pull things (like furniture lol) I walk slowly up the stairs but I have a downstairs toilet so only go up and down the stairs a couple of times a day! If I can ask someone else like OH or one of my children to do something for me then I will! Even things like pass me a book that would otherwise mean me standing up from sitting! KWIM? At first I just felt so lazy and kept doing things as normal and it got worse and I just could bear the thought of it getting even worse and having to deal with it until 40 weeks!
I also sleep in or on my silk nightgown which I think people think Im mad for saying but seriously makes a hell of a lot of difference! I can kinda glide over at night rather than try and turn and cause myself endless pain! I think tbh that is the main one to help! Satin should work too anything slippery! My physio even suggested sleeping on the outside of a sleeping bag as they are slippery!!

Get all of the spare duvets in the house and put them on your side of the bed so you can sleep on top of them. Use the search facility to find out what advice you can. Nearly 5 months after the birth I am seldom bothered by the pain but I was crippled by it in 3rd tri and after the birth and I know I gave lots of advice to others then, I just cant think what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back