spd anyone?

klam

Reaction score
hey, just been to see midwife today and mentioned the pain i was having as it is gettin too much to bear. she says it is symphisis pubis dysfunction which iv been lookin up on. have been reffered to physio dont know how long that will take so just wondering if anyone else has this or has had it??

I had this with my little man so you have my full sympathy :hug:

When I saw the physio she gave me a belt to wear when I was walking and it really helped alot. She also manipulated my pelvis and it felt a little more comfortable for a little well. xxx

I had this too with my last pregnancy; I was referred to a physio who fitted me for a belt too that went around my hips, it kind of held them together for support. However, this didnt really help me as I had so much difficulty in getting out of bed and to the loo in the morning, they gave me crutches in the end which helped a lot. I hope you get some help from your physio :)

Sorry honey no experience of this, but didn't want to read and run. Hope the physio helps x

Oh SPD is just awful!!! I've had pain since about 13 weeks that's gotten progressively worse. The physio gave me a support belt which was huge and had metal bones in it, so got it changed two days later for one which I can't actually bend or sit down when wearing! I spoke to one of the physios I work with who has given me the huge tubigrip which is a lot more comfortable to wear and does feel like it's holding me together. I'm afraid it's not something that can be worn all the time so night time is particularly bad, and sleep is a luxury. The physio I saw tested my pain free limits, and checked there were no nerves involved since sciatica is very common in pregnancy too.
Some days it gets me really down, and especially with the lack of sleep but all I can do is limit what I'm doing and take regular paracetamol (not happy about that bit). I'm concerned about later in the pregnancy, I'm already struggling at work and would like to speak to the midwife about labour and delivery although they seem to think it's quite early to be discussing the details.
would be nice to hear how you get on, maybe we could share some tips :)

Can you explain how spd makes you feel. I haven't had any probs in pregnancy before but i have a lot of back pain this time and sometimes my hips ache too, almost like they are splitting in two. This isn't improving and back ache is a real pain as i have to sit down every 30 mins or so. But i wouldn't say i have pain in the pelvis.

My friend has this, she is in agony so I feel for you after seeing the pain she is in :hug: She is attending physio and has also been given a strap to wear.. She may have to get a section but nothing is for definite yet x

For me the pain started in my coccyx, technically I have sacroiliac pain too but it's basically just the whole pelvis being unstable. I think the term SPD is used commonly as a substitute for what is actually 'pelvic girdle pain', just meaning that it's not just the pubic joint at the front that is unstable. I have pain in my groin and when it's bad it radiates down into my thigh too. I first raised it with my MW when she was trying to check for bubs heart beat and I said I found it so painful to lie on my back (the sacroiliac pain primarily) but then as she measured the fundal height my pubic bone was very tender. If I'm on my feet the pubic bone starts to really ache. At best it feels like I've done three days straight at the gym, like you need a real good stretch and you've found muscles you didn't know you'd had, but doing that stretch just hurts even more in the longer term.
When I get up to stand my pelvis clicks, and I can feel it grinding when I'm walking. The tubigrip actually feels like it's holding your pelvis together, and because it goes right up over your bump too it helps to take the weight of the baby off the pelvis a bit too. The phsyio did advise to sit on a gym ball for 30 minutes each day to tone the core muscles but I've not noticed any difference from this. Also to avoid things that involves spreading your legs, so getting in/out of a car with knees together (much easier if you put a bag for life under you on the seat to reduce the friction), breast stroke is bad, any straddling or true squatting.
I don't think I'm very good at describing it at all,
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
For me the pain started in my coccyx, technically I have sacroiliac pain too but it's basically just the whole pelvis being unstable. I think the term SPD is used commonly as a substitute for what is actually 'pelvic girdle pain', just meaning that it's not just the pubic joint at the front that is unstable. I have pain in my groin and when it's bad it radiates down into my thigh too. I first raised it with my MW when she was trying to check for bubs heart beat and I said I found it so painful to lie on my back (the sacroiliac pain primarily) but then as she measured the fundal height my pubic bone was very tender. If I'm on my feet the pubic bone starts to really ache. At best it feels like I've done three days straight at the gym, like you need a real good stretch and you've found muscles you didn't know you'd had, but doing that stretch just hurts even more in the longer term.
When I get up to stand my pelvis clicks, and I can feel it grinding when I'm walking. The tubigrip actually feels like it's holding your pelvis together, and because it goes right up over your bump too it helps to take the weight of the baby off the pelvis a bit too. The phsyio did advise to sit on a gym ball for 30 minutes each day to tone the core muscles but I've not noticed any difference from this. Also to avoid things that involves spreading your legs, so getting in/out of a car with knees together (much easier if you put a bag for life under you on the seat to reduce the friction), breast stroke is bad, any straddling or true squatting.
I don't think I'm very good at describing it at all,
Hope this helps!
Thanks, mine sounds like normal aches and pains compared to you - poor you i do feel for you. Guess i'm not as young and fit this time round lol

thanks for the advise all, just waitin on physio callin so ill let u know whats happenin n if the tubi belt thing works or wot shes goin 2 do but sounds like im just goin 2 need 2 stick it out till the boys here. really nervous bout the labour now! megsmeadow - tip sharin sounds good ill be sure 2 let u know wots happenin x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back