Switching to formula

Colleen1988

Reaction score
Ive breast fed for 2weeks but ive been really poorly since birth and im struggling to keep up with it. I'm thinking of switching to formula but unsure of how to do this... Any advice? xxx

What I did with my son was i would swap a feed for a bottle. And did it like that gradually hun. It also helped my milk dry up gradually without being too painful I found xxx

I would agree with the above, replace 1 or 2 feeds a day with formula - make sure it's not 2 in a row though or your boobs will be very full and sore. You can then gradually up it. I struggled with breastfeeding exclusively as well so started combi feeding to give myself a break - you could consider this? I have definitely found that my supply is dwindling though so I could end up using formula all the time unintentionally. I find breastfeeding really convenient at times and would prefer to carry on combi feeding eg it's so much easier to breastfeed in the night than get up and make a bottle, now that my oh is back in work I'm doing all the night feeds so don't get the benefit of others being able to feed xx

You could try giving breastmilk in a bottle to help with the transition? Also, just be aware that switching can cause tummy upset and diarrhoea/constipation. My lil miss had bad poos after switching! Oh and beware of the nuclear ones. Poo EVERYWHERE :) x

Thanks girls, I already express my milk into a bottle and my oh gives him feeds with that but he's sick a lot and then is starving but ive already used loads of milk so he will sit on the boob for ages just getting drops coz he's starving! Need to get into some kind of routine at some point and I think that will be hard with breast feeding xx

Get hubby to continue feeding with bottle as your LO will find it distressing to smell your milk and not have access to it. As you're transitioning to mostly formula and your LO is confident on bottle, you should be ok to give bottles yourself. Just wear a high-neck top to cover up your milk smell.

Last edited:
I was the same after 2 weeks I had to make the decision to go to formula and I gradually dropped bf feeds for her first few bottles my mum and OH say at bed time which they loved doing but not even a week in and Amy is such a happy content baby.

Ive managed to switch quite easily to formula but I'm having a nightmare with knowing how much he wants, I think I may be I over feeding as he's always sick :( I just don't know whether I'm coming or going with his feeding at the moment xxx

Its impossible to overfeed them at this age hun. It could be the teat is a bit too quick for him? It can also take a wee bit of time for their tums to get used to the thicker consistency of formula.

He's on the slow teat.. Tommee tippee closer to nature
He's 3 weeks old and he's taking different amounts all the time, I spoke to health visitor and she advised to use a dummy to try and get him to longer between feeds as she thinks he's snacking instead of taking full feeds! It seems to have worked so far so we will see xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back