how do i wean on to formula

lizzie1978

Reaction score
Can anyone offer some advice. i have bf exclusively for 22 weeks and now want to change to formula feeding. i am unsure how i do this. can i just try replacing one bf per day wit bottle of formula? do i increase this every couple of days so my production reduces and baby gets used to it? Only thing im sure of is im goin use aptamil as this is what ive been told is closest to breast milk.

all advice appreciated

Yes that sounds perfect. Well done for hitting 22 weeks! Why do u want to wean off??

Just want to point out the aptimal isn't closest to breast milk t_hey are all the same. It really grinds me how they have managed to market that!! *rant over*

I think leave it at least 3 days because that's how long they advise pumping for to increase your supply

im in a 50/50 over stopping at the minute as i shall miss the closeness but im struggling to shift my baby weight and this is causing me back and hip pain so i really need to follow weigt watchers or slimming world plus i have had no break from bf since she was born as when i express milk even just once a day the extra i produce due to this is really uncomfy. I just feel that with her reachin 6 months soon she will be able to get nutrition out of purees etc and i can finally sort myself out after emergency cs and complications with wound hence difficulty exercising

Bfing is the BEST weightless ever. You burn I think 500 extra calories a day. I THINK that slimming world (could be wrong but there if defo one) that has a weightloss plan for bfing. Just something to consider. Would you not combi feed? You've come so far iykwim!

Weightwatchers i think you can do while still BFing. Trust me as someone who combi feeds - i would like not to faff around with bottles

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Well done getting to 22 weeks hun.

You can still do slimming world whilst breastfeeding.

You mention about getting the nutrients from purees when she gets to 6 months. While she'll get some nutrients from purees/ food, the majority of her nutrients will still come from milk (either breast or formula) until she's 1 year. As someone who had to stop breastfeeding, my personal opinion would be to continue breast feeding. Cleaning and sterilising bottles is a right pain the backside lol.

Just to confirm you can do weight watchers whilst breast feeding. You just get extra points!!

Hi hun! I weaned to some formula at about 22 weeks and then combi fed. What u describe as ur plan sounds fine! Just give it a good few days for ur boobs to respond to dropping a feed as u can get quite engorged. Try not to pump if u can as that will just maintain supply. If u r uncomfortable just hand express a bit off to reduce pressure. Doing it slowly is best for u and I think it helps LO adjust too! I can understand y u r considering stopping and that is completely up to u. Pros and Cons to both bf and ff, u just do what's right for u xx

thankyou for responses. im not intending to combifeed plus ive adjusted my diet and the weight still isnt coming off. i just feel that i need my time now and when i express just once it triggers ridiculous milk production levels. this may sound selfish but i feel a mess and i have breast fed exclusively for nearly 6 mths. i cannot fully explain properly but i do feel guilt at doing this but feel it might be best for me

I'm interested to read this as I'm gonna be doing the same in a few weeks. I need to get LO 'off me' by the time she's 7 months as I need to go back to work. I figured that I could wean onto formula first (by about 6 1/2 months) and then start weaning onto solids. Thw whole weaning process really confuses me so i thought i might be better tackling one thing at a time!

I figure that they still need quite a lot of milk when they're weaning and they can't yet have cows milk so it seems a sensible thing to do if you can't carry on feeding up to one year.

I'm gonna change one feed in the day for a few days/week, then change the bedtime feed for a few days/week, then change any other day feeds, then change night feeds. That's my plan anyway - we'll see what LO's plan is! Ha ha!

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm interested to read this as I'm gonna be doing the same in a few weeks. I need to get LO 'off me' by the time she's 7 months as I need to go back to work. I figured that I could wean onto formula first (by about 6 1/2 months) and then start weaning onto solids. Thw whole weaning process really confuses me so i thought i might be better tackling one thing at a time!

I figure that they still need quite a lot of milk when they're weaning and they can't yet have cows milk so it seems a sensible thing to do if you can't carry on feeding up to one year.

I'm gonna change one feed in the day for a few days/week, then change the bedtime feed for a few days/week, then change any other day feeds, then change night feeds. That's my plan anyway - we'll see what LO's plan is! Ha ha!

Good luck!

I am aiming to do a similar thing but weaning on to solids possibly will overlap with weaning on to formula. im goin try dropping a feed every 2/3 days. know i cant rush it incase i have problems with lo taking to bottle/formula and milk drying up. going to miss the closeness though

I would also try to get your oh to give the bottle feeds so she doesn't smell your milk and maybe go into another room or out for a bit.

just also be aware you can start putting weight on when you stop bf as this happened to my friend, she piled it on really quickly as she didn't adjust her own food intake so maybe start your diet at the same time you begin changing over! Let us know how you get on x

I had to stop bf'ing at 14 and a half weeks due to tongue tie. During my time bf'ing, weight dropped off. As soon as I stopped, weight went back on. On top of that, the cost of formula is rediculous. On top of that, making bottles ks so much faff compaired to bf'ing. This is just my personal opinion. I so wish I could of continued bf'ing for longer. :-( But you do what's best for you. Never feel pressured into doing something. You have done so well to manage 22 weeks and your baby has got the best start possible. Best of luck Hun.xx

I am intending on starting to alter my eating habits as i gradually wean her off. got hv calling monday to make appt to discuss weaning onto solids and weaning off breast milk to formula and from there i can make my decision. at the minute she sleeps 11pm -6am without waking but wants feeding every 1 1/2 - 2hrs so they are going to talk to me about it as the trainee hv said if she sleeps you cant have everything when i asked which is fair enough but the other hv on phone said she'll send someone out and sounded like lo is feeding too often. i know some are comfort feeds but this is also making it difficult. Thankyou for all your advice

I started to wean to formula at 5.5 months coz I didn't want to do, weaning to solids, weaning to formula and move to own room all at 6 months! It worked out really well in the end and I managed to drop down to 2bf a day and 2 bottles quite easily and carried on with the 1-2 bf at night that he did. I gradually stopped the 2nd day bf and carried on with first thing in morning and at night. Ethan stopped night feeding of his own accord and I'm finishing bf tomorrow as he doesn't seem to be interested or have much after breakfast anyway! He will b 8months! I will miss it and yes, bottles r faffy but it does give u more freedom and allow OH to b much more involved! Good luck with weaning and the weight loss hun :)

I started to wean to formula at 5.5 months coz I didn't want to do, weaning to solids, weaning to formula and move to own room all at 6 months! It worked out really well in the end and I managed to drop down to 2bf a day and 2 bottles quite easily and carried on with the 1-2 bf at night that he did. I gradually stopped the 2nd day bf and carried on with first thing in morning and at night. Ethan stopped night feeding of his own accord and I'm finishing bf tomorrow as he doesn't seem to be interested or have much after breakfast anyway! He will b 8months! I will miss it and yes, bottles r faffy but it does give u more freedom and allow OH to b much more involved! Good luck with weaning and the weight loss hun :)

This sounds exactly like what I'm hoping to do!!! I hope it goes as well for me as it has for you!

This sounds exactly like what I'm hoping to do!!! I hope it goes as well for me as it has for you!

Ah good luck with it all hun! It was def the right thing to do for us! Hope all goes well for u! Feel free to pm me if u wanna ask anything x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back