• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Surnames

Bee7

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a dilemna with what babys surname will be. Me and OH aren't married and have no plans to marry in the near future. I know in most cases baby would still take the fathers name, but my family keep saying how it's not nice for my to have a different name to baby. Not only that but i'm not 100% sure if OH's surname is his 'real' name. He took on his stepdads surname when he was about 3, and although all his ID (passport etc) has this name on, i'm not sure if it was ever officially changed or what's on his birth certificate. He doesn't seem to know either, but obviously he was only a toddler!

I'm thinking the easiest way to go and keep everyone happy would be a double barrelled surname but personally i've never been a big fan. What does everyone else think? xxxx

It's different for me because I'm married but given all the circumstances in your post I would go with your name. If you do get married in the future then you can just change surname, although double barrelled could definitely work. It's your decision at the end of day - there is no wrong decision x

me and my OH arent married, we will do one day tho so im content to give baby his surname and just change mine when we do get married. ive told him if he takes to long to get it sorted and marry me i will be doing the proposing and arranging of the registry office just to make him look like the woman lol

For passports etc you would need to show birth certificate so he probably had it changed legally hun. I wasnt married when i had paige or jake but they have hubbys surname and now we are married and baby number 3 will have the same surname. Entirely up to you hun, doesnt matter what other people think at the end of the day i had a different surname to my 2 but i wasnt bothered xx

Its up to you hun. My surname is penny and partner onions so I didn't mind my son having my partners as they are both as bad as each other for bullying. But if you want the same name as yours then its not a problem they ask you when signing birth certificate what surname you want on it x

Im a fan of double barrelled surnames, i got married and didnt want to loose mine as we are all girls so if me and my sis got married it would die out and its not a common surname so I went double barrelled and hubbie is happy for the baby to be that way as well.

It doesnt really matter what other people think. If you see yourself getting married eventually - even if its not in the near future - it might be easier for LO to have dad's name - as it would be one less thing to change after the wedding.

Personally I think its nice for them to have fathers's name - unless he's a complete pillock who's not gonna be a Dad - just cos its the only thing the men can give them - we get so much else.

At the end of the day - one of you is gonna have a different name from ur LO, you need to decide what best for u as a family, and everyone else will just have to deal with it.
xxx

OH and I are never going to get married but I will change my name by deed poll so we all have the same surmname (if ever I am blessed with a baby that is :shock:)

It's weird as I am traditinal in the sense I want us all to have the same name but not traditional enough to get married :)

Last edited:
OH and I are never going to get married but I will change my name by deed poll so we all have the same surmname (if ever I am blessed with a baby that is :shock:)

It's weird as I am traditinal in the sense I want us all to have the same name but not traditional enough to get married :)

I was just going to suggest this - would you consider changing your surname by deedpoll to OH's name?

I don't think so. Only because it's not really his 'family' name, it's his stepdads and he isn't even in contact with his stepdad anymore. Obviously it's the name he's grown up with and is known as, but its as though it doesn't really belong to anyone.

Despite this i think he'd be very hurt if i really pushed to go with my name over his, so it looks as though double barrelled is the way forward xxx

This is something me and my OH have to decide on too. We had recently decided that I would change my name by deed poll so we'd all have the same name as we have no intention to mary in the near future. However recently my OH has been a bit of a nasty prat so that's currently off the table. Unfortunately double barrel isn't an option otherwise I would quite happily do that, our names sound ridiculous together. I think you should do what you are comfortable with hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back