Supplements for pregnancy

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
Is anyone taking anything other than folic acid? My BIL who has done many courses and who is currently dosing his own pregnant wife with Omega 3, (despite the fact that it makes her feel sick) advised me that if I ever got pg again I could avoid pre-eclampsia etc by taking magnesium in early pregnancy. I asked my doctor and she recommended a calcium magnesium supplement. I bought it and oh my gosh the pills are huge - about four times the size of a regular panadol. I'll have to split them before taking them, and I'm wondering, are they worth the bother?

Silly questions I know, compared to some on here. Anyone take calcium or magnesium and did they have the desired effect?

Sue

Hi there! I don't know about calcium and magnezium pils - I didn't have any particular need to take those pills. But I did take Pragnacare pills which, among other goodies, contain calcium and magnezium.

I drink mineral water for the extra magnesium etc rather than pop pills. Much nicer and I mix it with OJ :)

TBH, I'm of the opinion that taking folic acid is good, but so long as you are eating a balanced diet, baby will be getting all its nutrients from you, so should be fine otherwise.

I wasn't aware lots of Omega3 so early on was overly benifical to baby. I thought it was only later in pregnancy for development. I eat fish, veggies etc for that rather than supplements. I'm all for diet before pills tbh. I worry about problems for myself in pregnancy, but prefer not pumping myself full of pills, so am happy to carry on as I am and have monitoring via my MW for any potential problems.

Maybe crush the pills up and mix them in some yogurt if you do want to take them?

I'm interested to read other women's experiences. I've done a bit of reading online on the whole Omega3 helping preventing pre-eclampsia, but I think there is a higher risk group of women who may develop it, so maybe its more applicable to them than others.

Interesting reading anyways, but I think I'll still go for trying to eat it in food rather than pill form. I may increase the amount of food with it in that I eat however. Extra veggies never hurt :)

i was told not to take any other suppliments other then folic acid, and im pretty sure they spesifically said donttake omega 3, though im not surewhy they would say that. have a look online at advice that might help
Clare x

over here in Corfu you are told to take:

Iron supplement (which comes in a little botle)
magnesium supplemnt
calcium supplement

The calcium tablet is HUGE but you actually dissolve this and drink it

I think the calcium is because you cant drink the tap water here which in UK has calcium in.

Hiya,

I think you have to be careful with fish oils esp. cod liver oil because of added Vit A which can be harmful in large doses. My OH cod liver oil specifically advises against taking if you are pregnant.

abcd1234 said:
i was told not to take any other suppliments other then folic acid, and im pretty sure they spesifically said donttake omega 3, though im not surewhy they would say that. have a look online at advice that might help
Clare x

I found this article about it

I'm sticking to eating the stuff rather than pill form, much yummier :lol:

Thanks girls - I might crush this up - I'm all for healthy diet as well, but if this will help me avoid pre eclampsia I'm all for it. I don't want to go through that again.

My SIL is 12 weeks pregnant and all is well, but I'll ask her husband about the omega three. I'm sure he's not considered the vitamin a issue, for which reason I have been avoiding the cod liver oil. And one of our nieces had a cleft lip and palate among other things. Hmmm.

Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back