Does anyone take calcium supplements?

fruityloop

Reaction score
Hi all,

I read an article today that says by taking calcium supplements during pregnancy, it greatly reduces the risk of pre-eclampsia.

I take Pregnacare tablets on a daily basis but they don't contain any calcium at all.

Does anyone here take calcium supplements?

I've just got some from the chemist (chewable ones) which I've tried to take but they make me throw up.

Anyone else taking calcium?

I went to Boots to get calcium tablets when I was pregnant because I am/was Dairy Intolerant but I was told not to take them unless they are prescribed by the GP.

Just drink plenty of milk :lol:

I would love to drink milk but just the sight of it makes me gag :puke: and that was even before I was pregnant!!

Maybe I should eat cheese and yogurts or something. I can stomach them.

When I eventually see a midwife I'll ask her advice.

I've always hated milk. I can only tolerate it in tiny amounts on cereal and then the cereal is almost dry. It looks now as if the cereals aren't as good for you as previously thought due to the high sugar content. As I'm pre-diabetic (or fasting glucose impaired as they call it these days), I have to be careful.

It's all so confusing :roll:

I have gone right off milk too! Used to love a glass of skimmed milk but yuk - can't go near the stuff at the moment.

I stopped in at the health food shop on the way to work this morning and spoke to an amazing man in there who seemed to be a vitamin expert!

He said calcium supplements are more important in the third trimester but he recommended a multi-vitamin which is the only one he knows of with maximum doseage of calcium. It's an 'own brand' by Fresh and Wild - just called Pre Natal Supplement with 1000mg calcium. I think Fresh and Wild's are only in London and Bristol though?!

He also said it was good to take DHA in the first and third trimester and EHA in the second. I got a Mega EPA 1000 (fish oil concentrate) made by BioCare.

Blimey - I will be rattling after all of those!

Lucyx

I am not too keen on dairy either so my midwife said its important to take a calcium supplement. Boots won't give pregnant women anything but paracetomol, that's their policy, they have to cover themselves. I'd give your midwife a ring because I'm sure she'd give you the ok :D

i agree milk at the moment is making the m/s worse.

I take sanotogen pronatal and they contain 17% of RDA calcium but even these tablets are making me gag at the moment as well. infact practically everything brings a lump to my throat :puke: :puke:

The only thing I have managed to keep down so far today is a burger King milkshake.....Mmmmmmm

Although I did have my doubts just afterwards, but so far so good, and that has calcium in it :wink:

I don't drink milk much, but I make sure I eat a slice of cheese or a bit of yogurt daily at the mo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back