Stuck between 2 girl's names

oceanborn82

Reaction score
When we had our son, we couldn't choose a name. It wasn't until he was born that we decided on Ethan. I found it quite stressful not having a name, so I was so determined this time round to have a name ready.

We always said when we had a girl we would call her Willow, then I made the stupid choice of sharing the name with my parents who reacted really against it. Insisting she will be tormented for her name and have kids being cruel to her, but I don't think Willow is one of those names (think daft celebrity) that would get cruel names?

I tried to ignore them but as time went on, their comments bothered me more and more. We both still love Willow but we started looking for names regardless. Now we are a little torn on two names as we didn't expect to fall in love with another name.

My husband let the second name slip to my parents who liked the name but I still get the original name creeping into my mind at times.

So we are torn between Willow and Anya. Basically we wanted something a little different, a bit modern (without being stupid.. like some celebrity names).

Still lot's of time to make final decision but now it's on my mind all the time and driving me crazy because we can't decide. The middle name is a family name so we already have that to keep with tradition so argh.

So let's get you ladies thought's. Any of those names speak to you?

Last edited:
I prefer Anya. Sorry but dont really like Willow. Is that not a character on Buffy or another of these teenage vampire things?

Anya is lovely though. X

Anya and Willow are on Buffy, but funny enough it's not where we got them from. Got them from a baby naming book :)

I like willow! Not so much Anya..but it's really personal preference xxx

I love the name Willow, our surname is Williams though so even if we had been having a girl then it wouldnt really of sounded great. But I still love it!
What about as a middle name? Anya Willow sounds lovely xx

Last edited:
We have a middle name already. It's a family name so we really just want to settle with the first name

Both lovely names and not too 'out there' at all! If you prefer willow then your parents will have to just lump it! Names soon grow on people especially when their little personalities shine through xxx

I prefer Willow. I know of 2 Willows and the name really suits them. I consider it quite a strong girls name. I really like it.

Not sure where abouts in the country you are - do you pronounce Anya as 'An-ya' or 'On-ya'? I'm not terribly keen on it personally x

I think they're both lovely. I don't think willow is 'out there' at all xx

I like both names... Personally I'd go with Willow because I have an old school friend called Anja, though she spells it Anya for simplicity these days. Willow is pretty, and I don't think it's out there enough to get picked on!

I really like Anya- it's a strong but beautiful name, whereas Willow seems a bit airy fairy to me, but it is very soft and pretty sounding at the same time.

You really have to go with what you two like and ignore your parents, they will love her whatever her name is :) x

I like Willow and once taught a girl with that name who was a real sweetie.

I really like Anja (or Anya as your spelling) not keen on willow tbh but quite like
Anya Willow as a first and 2nd name

However if you two want willow you should use willow

Yeah two spellings of Anya exist. I have some Finn friends who spell it Anja. But I know people up here would pronounce the j in an English way, that's the reason for the y spelling ;)

i have quite a few european friends called Anja so its always anja in my head... its like my name im Joanna but a lot of people spell it johanna lol

id never pronounce the j as a J but maybe its cos i know some anja's lol

i do like it though - ive never met a nasty anya/anja, theyre allo lovely people

Think they're both lovely! Prob slightly prefer Willow but Anya would be so lovely for a little blondie :)
We have two boys and I'm sure this is number 3 but my fantasy girl names are Connie and Winnie (both hated by everyone!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back