straightener opinions please!!

kmac

Reaction score
Hello!!

Sadly, my GHDs died this morning :(
I have used them every day for 4 years though, so that's quite good going.

So I need to get new straighteners - I don't have wash and go type hair!!

What I want to know is - is there any other ones that are REALLY as good as GHDs?
I don't want to buy other ones and then regret it....
And I have advised other people before just to get GHDs and not waste money on cheaper ones!!

DH has kindly said he will pay as an early birthday pressie which is nice.

Do any of you have ones that you would recommend, and know how they compare to GHDs???

Thanks!
xx

I would contact GHD and see if the could fix them for you.
TBH, I don't think there is any straightener as good as them, in my opinion, they are the best you can get :D

Id not touch anything but ghds.

My ex spent £100 on a pair of non GHDs and they were crap.

Im sure GHD will repair them if you return them

Oh and is the title a pun?

:oops: :oops: about the title!! Didn't mean it as a pun!
Looked on the website but i don't see anything about how to get them repaired.. i think they have lasted quite well tbh!!

Put your old broken ones on Ebay and buy a new pair!
-My sister put her broken ones on e-bay (Obviously stated they were broken) and she got about £40 for them....You see someone will buy them, repair them and sell them on as re-manufactured and still make money on them. Everyones a winner! lol

TBH I used to think whats the fuss about GHD's, my revlon straighners do the job, what can possibly be so special?...Then I had a pair and they ARE the best straighteners. Go on, treat yourself, your worth it! lol

chickadee1976 said:
http://www.ghdhair.com/uk/customer-care/returns

Ive heard of people returning them here without a reciept and getting them back repaired

I looked on there, thought there was no point as I no longer have my receipt :think: :think:
Might give it a go, but honestly don't know how I will live without them if they were away getting repaired! :oops:

Rachael said:
Put your old broken ones on Ebay and buy a new pair!
-My sister put her broken ones on e-bay (Obviously stated they were broken) and she got about £40 for them....You see someone will buy them, repair them and sell them on as re-manufactured and still make money on them. Everyones a winner! lol

TBH I used to think whats the fuss about GHD's, my revlon straighners do the job, what can possibly be so special?...Then I had a pair and they ARE the best straighteners. Go on, treat yourself, your worth it! lol

I looked on ebay earlier and noticed a few sets of broken ones. Mine are really discoloured though.

I wouldnt bother buying anything but GHDs. Ive tried others and they are rubbish in comparrison. I have shortish hair and have the small thin ones.. they are great!

Claire x

kmac said:
I looked on ebay earlier and noticed a few sets of broken ones. Mine are really discoloured though.

I don't think it matters. If you can't get them repaired by GHD it may be worth putting them on anyway, just to see what happens. I'm always surprised at how much some stuff goes for, especially the broken things! - Especially if you would have just binned them.

i got mine fixed by a guy on ebay! cost me £16.00 and only took 2/3days to send and receive back.

They are as good as new again and a lot cheaper than buying a new pair!

[urlhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Faulty-GHD-Repairs-Service-Broken-Damaged-GHD-Repair_W0QQitemZ260244865201QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36408QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262][/url]

I sold my broken GHDs on ebay for £35. Went out and bought the new model GHDs and love them love them love them. GHD wanted to charge me something silly to repair them.

If it wasn't for my GHDs I would have something resembling a ginger afro.

I see the new ones switch off automatically after 30 minutes! That's quite appealing - I regularly panic on my way to work that I left them plugged in!!

Right. Think I have decided to stick with the GHDs. First plan is pop to the hairdresser and see how much they sell them for and compare prices. It says on the GHD site you can hand in old ones to a salon and get 20 pounds off the price of new ones... so if it's ok that they don't work i might do that!!

kmac said:
What I want to know is - is there any other ones that are REALLY as good as GHDs?

YES THERE ARE!!!!!

my hairdresser (a friend & creative director for toni & guy, so he knows what he's talking about) told me that as long as you buy straighteners with solid ceramic plates that heat to above 200 degrees, you'll be getting the same as GHD's without the price tag. i've got a babyliss set and they've been brilliant for a fraction of the cost - i have very wavy hair that frizzes and curls with the slightest suggestion of humidity and i rate straighteners on their ability to deal with that, and the babyliss ones have actually impressed me more than GHDs :) :)

aww, my GHDs died a couple months ago, i feel your pain... :hug:

i dont have wash and go hair either lol, i got a serious 'fro goin' on if i leave it au natrel frizz has been the bane of my life :roll: :lol:

so basically i cant settle for any old straighteners either...

i spoke to my stylist and she said as long as they heat up to over 200 degrees they should be pretty decent (and they must be ceramic of course)

i bought some nicky clarke ones they were on offer in boots reduced to about £24 from £35 i think- well they were well worth the money (my hair in my avatar was done with them), altho i must admit they are not as good as my darling GHDs (r.i.p.) i cant quite get the same glossy shine as i could with them, but its almost as good i think u have to be a girly girl / camp guy / hairdresser to tell the difference :D

Thanks for all your replies!!

I looked on the website and you could trade in your old ghd's at a salon and get 20 quid off a new set, so I just did that. Still a bit pricey I guess but I couldn't bring myself to take a chance on other ones (I tried a few sets before getting my first ghd's) so my hair emergency is over!! :)

You made a wise choice. I bought some babyliss ones for about £35-£40 and they burnt half of my god damn hair off!!! My hair kept getting trapped in the edge of the plates and burning it off! I was disgusted and took them back, the shop didnt want to refund me at first until i stated that i should be filing for compensation NOT just a refund. After that i bought some funky pink GHD's and they are wicked. By far the best straighteners i have ever used or bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back