STILL aneamic - will it affect homebirth?

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
I had a letter from the docs to say that I am STILL anaemic and need my bloods redone (i had them done last week).

But GRRRR I've been taking my iron tablets, eating well and drinking orange juice with EVERYTHING as recommended.

It's worrying me slightly as the midwife said they advise against homebirths in cases of anaemia - something to do with the risk of bleeding being higher. I was surprised by this and googled it. Everything I found said that there is no real evidence to suggest it can cause problems in a homebirth and that it shouldn't stop you having one! So now I am confused!

I don't want to put me and baby at risk but I'm not going to give up my homebirth!!

Any ideas/suggestions/anything....????

talk to them hon :)

it depends how anaemic you are - everyone drops a bit after a birth but if you are very low to start with and you drop more than expected you can end up with all sorts of problems you don't want, :hug:

better to talk to the drs than get advice from here IMO

Hope youve managed to sort out the confusion in advice hun i know just hoe much you want to have Faith Lily at home
and that your home birth is till going a head :pray:

sarah :hug: :wave:

From what i've found out and from the info Sherlock has given me (thanks hun) I should be ok :)

I see my midwife on Saturday so i'll talk it through with her then :)
Thanks for the help guys :D

id ask your midwife, im sure she will put your mind at rest but im sure you will be ok x

Hope it'll be ok for your homebirth. Good luck on saturday :hug: xx

BabyBee said:
I had a letter from the docs to say that I am STILL anaemic and need my bloods redone (i had them done last week).

But GRRRR I've been taking my iron tablets, eating well and drinking orange juice with EVERYTHING as recommended.

It's worrying me slightly as the midwife said they advise against homebirths in cases of anaemia - something to do with the risk of bleeding being higher. I was surprised by this and googled it. Everything I found said that there is no real evidence to suggest it can cause problems in a homebirth and that it shouldn't stop you having one! So now I am confused!

I don't want to put me and baby at risk but I'm not going to give up my homebirth!!

Any ideas/suggestions/anything....????

i was anaemic. And i got a home birth. Just insist on it. Your body knows its anaemic and will not bleed so much after the birth. Mother nature is wonderful .
Trust in your body. And if it feels right then it is ...
good luck

top tip for anaemia in pregnancy!!!

eat two or three bowls of coca pops in the day. fortified with iron its sooo good for you.
if you like liver have some of that but no more than a portion a week. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back