passive smoking worries :(

Cixes

Reaction score
Ok so my hubby smokes, i have told him about the dangers and he knows that he has to not hold the baby until an hour after his last cig and he has to have a wash and change his clothes. Thats fine cause i can nag at him about it and make sure he does it BUT....

His mam and sister smoke too and i know they will just come in and expect to hold Noah like having just put a fag out! It is really worrying me now to be honest. I know i have to say something and i know my hubby will but i just think they will think i am am going over the top.

To be honest my sil has been trying for a baby for a while now and keeps saying she is gonna give up (personally i think if your trying for a baby it should be the first to do on your list!) and my mil had said to her you don't have to give up smoking cause you want to be pregnant just cut down a bit!!!! I was gobsmacked!! My Mil smoked through her pregnancy with her so it shouldn't of really suprised me :roll:

I just hate the thought of Noah breathing in all that nasty air and chemicals - i would blame them if anything happened to him too.

How do i broach the subject? i am normally pretty straight talking if i feel strongly about something but i just reckon that what i say might fall on deaf ears, and i will be sat there panicing!

As some of you know my MIL lives next door so its not like it won't be a regular thing, plus she just pisses me off anyway! I am desperately trying to find a bigger house that we can afford so we can move away!!!

awww hun :hug: :hug: :hug: please remember its your baby and you have the right to tell people what to do around your baby etc :hug: :hug:

If its your OH mum and sis I would maybe ask your OH to approach the subject with them? If he has to wait an hour etc and change his clothes he knows the reasons why he's doing it so can explain it to them?

I really dont think its unreasonable of you hun to ask the same of them :hug: :hug: :hug:

A bit premature popping in here but I really can't believe you posted this today. I've spent all night worrying about this.

OH stopped smoking recently and has done really well, but since Christmas he's taken to the odd cigar now and then. We recently discussed co-sleeping and he said he didn't mind, thought it was a good idea. I realise now I'm going to have to bring the smoking subject up again as he won't be able to sleep in the bed with us after he's been smoking.

Also, we're meant to be renovating our house so we can sell it and move in with his parents. They are heavy smokers. They said they will try to cut back when baby comes but I really can't see them smoking outside every time they need to light up. They're pensioners so it's not a three minute pop out thing. They smoke to enjoy it and are passionately against the smoking ban.

It sounds like I'm painting them in a bad light, but they are really good people and support us immensely. They're just old fashioned. I can't see any way of protecting Pixie without causing trouble.

I feel for you here as that must be hard, I wouldn't want anyone round my baby that smokes and you have every right to say something but I know that's easier said than done!!!!!!

I think we all have worries about things and normally they are not as bad as you think. I worry that people are going to try and take over and tell me what to do and I worry that people are going to come round with all their children and give my baby germs, some of its rational and some irrational!!!!!!!!

I smoked when my sister had her frist two children and I woudl always wash my hands and make sure my breath was OK before holding baby x

I had this problem with my OH other children from his previous marraige. They are 20 and 17 and they both smoke. We had a few problems with the 20yr old girl accepting that we were having a baby so I then felt even more awkward about telling her she had to wash her hands and leave it a hour before coming near the baby after smoking.

In the end I asked Mark to have a word with them and I think they were ok with it... They recently came to stay with us for a week and Natalie said it was actually quite good as she cut right back on smoking so that she could hold the baby and she felt much better and saved a load of money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back