Squeamish about breastfeeding...

clarey

Reaction score
Did anyone else feel like this but found it was OK once you tried?
I feel like I am failing Bean already cos the very thought of breastfeeding makes me feel weird, I have no idea why I think this but I feel terrible for it, and at the moment its the only stressing me out about having a baby.
There seems to be so much pressure to breastfeed, my midwife said they wont let me leave hosp until they ar happy with the feeding, and although in my head I know its best I still feel sick at the thought :wall:

Please someone tell me I will feel differently once the baby is born! I am sure I am being very silly.....

I felt strange about breastfeeding when i was pregnant so i always said i would bottle feed, but as soon as he was born i decided i was going to try it, it didnt feel like a disgusting thought anymore, just natural :D I only did it for a couple of weeks with formula feeds aswell I'm sure you will feel the same once your lo has arrived. If you dont dont worry about formula feeding its not a bad thing at all.

I was exactly same as you but as soon as I tried breastfeeding it felt like the most natural and wonderful feeling in the word, and the bond you feel with your baby is just amazing, maybe its a hormone that's released, not sure.

I dont breast feed anymore just cos I didn't do it properly from start due to my worries and it's a big regret so I'd say def try it out and see :hug:

i had the same feeling before i had alana, and to begin with i found feeding very strange and used to just fall asleep whilst i was feeding, i think it took me over a week to get over that feeling and begin to bond with baby.

i did have alot of bonding problems due to PND so i think i would of probably enjoyed it sooner had i not been suffering with such severe PND

aww, hun- dont do it unless u really want to! :hug:

I feel the same. There is no way anything is sucking on my boob. Don't even like it when Dh has in the past.
Don't let anyone pressure you into doing anything you don't want to or don't feel comfortable with. It's your baby and no one will question wether you are a good mum or not if you use formula.....

I know exactly how you feel. At first i told everyone i was going to formula feed and the hassle i got from everyone (except my OH) was incredible and unfair.
I think the idea is icky. It makes me cringe.
BUT i've told myself i'll try it. And i'll see how it goes.
I may go to try and then not be able to but then i may find it ok.
I've decided to ignore everyone elses opinions and see how i feel.
Breat is only best if you want to do it!!

Thanks, I am so relieved I am not the only one, my Mum keeps saying how wonderful it is and I just cant imagine how!!
I will try and not think about it, see how I feel when Bean is here,
Thank you!

I don't think many women think breastfeeding is totally "normal and natural" before they have kids.
When I was pregnant with my first I just figured I would bottle feed, it was only support from my OH and MW that made me even consider it.
After I tried it I too realised how lovely it was, and how after nuturing your growing baby with your body for 9 months, you can carry on after birth.

I breastfed both of mine to around 9 months and will be BFing this one too, I love it and the bond you get with it :)

I was lucky in that I never had the slightest issue with breastfeeding,however my friend's mum never bf her as the idea completely grossed her out :lol: and she's grown up perfectly normally. I can understand where you are coming from-you should give bf a try, because you may find you feel differently-but if it's not for you don't worry!

just thought i'd add, altho i never found the idea icky or anything, while i was pregnant i decided to breast-feed mainly to lose weight and save money :oops:

but when i did it i found it wonderful bonding, i love it i think im addicted to it! i bottle-fed for the first time yesterday and in comparison it felt clinical and nowhere near as close.

unless it TOTALLY freaks u out (in which case dont be pressured into it), give it a try. u might love it!

:hug:

i bottle-fed for the first time yesterday and in comparison it felt clinical and nowhere near as close.

I agree with you there Trixi. Unfortunately I only breastfed James for just over a week as he was ill and I was having problems with my milk supply, and the nurses in scubu suggested he have formula.
The first time I bottle fed him I felt so upset, it felt so clinical like you said, and I felt like he was over a metre away from me, it just felt so cold and artificial. Although in time I got used to bottlefeeding and it did james no harm, I would have much preferred to continue breastfeeding.

Don't be hard on yourself and just try to go with the flow when you've had the baby.

I was unsure about whether I could breastfeed before I had George due to previous surgeries on my breasts. When it came to it and he was born they put him to side and he just started suckling me. It felt right and completely natural.

Sadly I had a low milk supply and had to stop breastfeeding after a few months but I really enjoyed the closeness with him during those early weeks. (Mind you I still find I can feel close bottle feeding him too... it's what you make it and I like to make it our quiet time especially first thing in the morning and for the bed time feed).

See how you feel when your baby is born. Don't be pressurised either way by "well meaning" people if you aren't comfortable.

:hug:

hey hun, i felt exactly the same as you, i couldnt handle the thought of amber sucking on my nipples and sadly the feeling never changed once she arrived.

I had always said to myself i will see how i feel when she is here and the thought of breast feeding never crossed my mind! She has been bottle fed from day 1 and i dont have any regrets because she is one happy little one.

You go with your instincts hun, you will be the mummy you make the decision and whatever comes naturally to you will work for you. I know its hard with the pressure about breast feeding but no midwife ro anything put any added pressure on me to at least try.

:) :hug:

Thanks ladies for your advice :hug:

Its so nice to know I am not the first to feel weird about this....

I will just relax now and see what happens when bean arrives, I want to get bottles etc anyway so I can express milk for OH to give her so I will be prepared either way.

Thanks!

Do whatever you feel best with. I was bottle fed and it didn't kill me! I breastfeed my baby though. She is 4 and a half months old now, and before I had her I was convinced it would be a miracle if I breastfed her for longer than about 6-8 weeks. She is still exclusively breastfed, long beyond the time I though I would have switched to bottles - it's just so easy and convenient. I'm hoping to keep breast feeding her till she is happily taking solids, and for that I'm hoping to go down the baby-led weaning route. (on Christmas day she had her first taste of solids - she kept reaching for my plate and eventually I helped her get a bit of carrot puree in her mouth. You have never seen carrot go down so quickly :lol: )

One thing to remember with breastfeeding, and that a lot of people won't mention is that there is a reason that most women feel pleasure when their breasts are touched/sucked. It is completely different with a baby to with your OH, but I cannot deny it is a warm, lovely pleasurable feeling to have my baby there drinking away. My mother doesn't have any regrets about bottle feeding me, but wishes someone had encouraged her to just give it a little try having seen me with my baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back