spinal

sam96031

Reaction score
Ive got my c section booked for monday and have half decided that im going to have a spinal this time, last time i had a GA as i was scared, my problem is im scared of needles but more than that im petrified of anything to do with my back as ive seen my dad go through over 20 years of back pain. So im looking for reasurance and any personal experiences please.
The reason i want to be awake this time is last time it took me a while to bond with emma (i know being in SCBU didnt help) and DH wasnt allowed in with me and he got to see emma 12 hours before i did!
Thanks in advance for any replies :D

I had a spinal, it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. One thing i will say is dont make the mistake i made and try and drink water when you have one cause i swollowed and it went down the wrong hole and i couldnt cough so had to kind of try and chokily breath through it. It was a very weird experiance, i kept trying to move my legs and feet all the time and found it a little odd that i couldnt lol. It didnt hurt when they put it in and obviously you cant see the needle cause they are behind you, it was a weird warm feeling. But my back hasnt been the same since, seems quite a bit weaker, although i had quite a weak back in the first place.

I had a spinal for my section with DD and I have to say that it wasn't that bad at all. I didn't feel the needle going in and I don't remember having any discomfort in my back afterwards, I imagine that the section wound & painkillers I was on were enough for me not to notice. I don't have any problems with my back at all and what I will say is that having the spinal helped my section be one of the nicest experiences of my life.

I went in, had the spinal administered, OH joined me and we chatted while the surgeon did the cutting bit then when DD was born they checked her very briefly (her apgar was 9/10) and then gave her to OH to hold. I just remember this little blue foot passing my eyes and then he turned her round so I could see her face. While he held her I asked what sex she was and he had a look and told me she was a girl. She was so beautiful.

THen OH took her back to my room while they finished stitching me up, when I got back to my room the MW took our first family photo and then asked if I wanted to feed her. She fed with no problems and it was wonderful.

I might need a section this time and I will definitely be going for the spinal option again.

Last edited:
thankyou so much for those replies. Becky sounds like you had a lovely experience i hope mine goes as well as that :hug: :hug: :hug:

sam96031 said:
thankyou so much for those replies. Becky sounds like you had a lovely experience i hope mine goes as well as that :hug: :hug: :hug:

And just think - that was an emergency section - imagine how nice an elective can be!

If it helps...I have back problems, had an epidural which was converted to a spinal for the section...had no problems with it either then or since. :hug: :hug:

Hiya
I had a natural birth but then had to go to theatre afterwards because had a retained placenta and they gave me a spinal - i was terrified as i hate needles and the thought of them messing with my back scared me (i tried to convince them to give me a GA instead!) , but it was no where near as bad as i expected! I barely felt the needle go in (i think they numb the area first anyway) and it took effect very quickly, just felt kind of warm and tingly then all went numb! I could feed Jack as soon as the procedure was done and my legs went back to normal pretty quick, after a couple of hours or so the feeling started coming back. I haven't had any trouble at all with my back since it was done.
Try not to worry im sure it will be fine! :hug:

Hey :wave: I had an Emergency C Section and had a spinal. It really wasn't that bad, I was terrified because I really did not like the thought of a needle in my back but it was so much better than I thought. It didn't really hurt, just felt a sharp sting for a few seconds and that was it and then my body started to numb. I was also anxious as I was having the most excruciating contractions at that point and wasn't sure if I could stay still but I was fine. Explain to them that your nervous about it, I'm sure they will be supportive and will help you through it as best they can but honestly it really isn't that bad, you'll be fine. Good luck, hope it goes well for you :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back