Spina bifida

Kerrig104

Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m looking for a bit advice
In the uk we are recommended 400mcg of folic acid but increased to 5mg if a family history or spina bifida.
My dads sister died of spina bifida. Is this a close enough link or must it be me or my partner? I’ve not been able to get through to my gp

Isn't folic acid an over-the-counter vitamin? Maybe you can an extra lower dose?
I daily take 4mg and 2mg in my prenatals. The body gets rid of the excess anyway. I take folic acid even when not ttc as it helps your body make new cells.
If you want to make sure about the dose, talk to your GP, even before starting ttc!x

I take double the recommended dose, because of history of miscarriage and it is included in my pcos supplement. My fertility doctor told me to do it.

There is no harm in taking too much that I’m aware of so I would increase until you speak to your gp x

I would say that's a close link, yes. Even if it wasn't, the upper limit for folic acid is really high, it would be very hard to overdose on it. Here in Aus it's 5mcg recommended for everyone and some prenatal brands have 8mcg in them. Just take a double dose, it won't hurt you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back