Spina Bifida

*sam*

Reaction score
Don't want to get too deep into it for fear of getting incontrolably upset again but about 3 hours ago my midwife phoned me to tell me I have to into hospital at 9am tomorrow for any emergancy scan because my blood test shown that I have a high risk of spina bifida.

Has anone else had this result back or know of anyone who has had this scan done and what there result was?

Apparently I will find out for definate tomorrow from the scan.

Any info that anyone has would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks. :cry:

Hiya,
I was sorry to read your post, Im dont know what to say. I hope everything goes okay tomorrow. Its probably just a precaution but things will work out okay.

Take care
Laura

hi hun if u dont mind me asking how old are u? i no the older u are the higher chance of them coming back high.
mine came back low but i am always treated as high risk as my mum gave birth to a lil girl with spina bifida who died after a few hrs and another time my mum found out at 26weeks her son had spina bifida mum asked how bad they said he will prob die before 40weeks or if he were born wouldnt live long as he had it bad, so mum decided to be induced and end the pregnancy (must have been a heart breaking) but he came out dead, sorry how horrid this is that im telling u.
but the 2 babies mum had after that the bloods came back high risk but the scan came back fine i had a detailed scan at 20weeks its very long and in detail they measure all the spin and stuff i understand how scared u are and u do have reason your midwife has made it sound important but just get a good night sleep hun u will no for defo tomorrow

sending u my love and lots of hugs x x x

I was at a xmas night out a few years ago and this woman was there that had spina bifida. She was a funny person, came in her own car (drove her own car) and opened my eyes to what it was like to have it.

I never had the tests done as I couldnt have done anything had I known.

Whatever happens tomorrow, you will be okay.

Thanks girls.

Dionne I'm 26, not exactly high risk group is it??

I'm freaking out!

no hun its not its late 30s... i feel sorry for u hun u must be freaking out i was waiting for my results but i like i said hun my mums came back high with 2 babies that are fine..

promise u will update me tomorrow????

its going to bug me sooo much now i realy honestly do hope every thing is ok for u x x x

just got that of the internet if it sheds any more light on it...

Diagnostic tests can be performed during pregnancy to evaluate the fetus for spina bifida. The tests include the following:

blood tests - The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) recommends that a blood test be offered between 15 to 20 weeks to all women who are pregnant who have not previously had a child with an ONTD and who do not have a family history of ONTD. This blood test measures alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) levels and other biochemical markers in the mother's blood to determine whether her pregnancy is at increased risk for an ONTD. AFP is a protein normally produced by the fetus that crosses the placenta into the mother's blood. Generally, if a fetus has an ONTD, the alpha-fetoprotein level in the mother's blood will be increased. Although this test does not tell for certain whether a fetus has an ONTD, it will determine which pregnancies are at greater risk, so that additional testing may be performed.
prenatal ultrasound (Also called sonography.) - a diagnostic imaging technique which uses high-frequency sound waves and a computer to create images of blood vessels, tissues, and organs. Ultrasounds are used to view internal organs as they function, and to assess blood flow through various vessels. Prenatal ultrasound may be able to detect an ONTD, and may be used to examine other organs and body systems of the fetus.
amniocentesis - a procedure that involves inserting a long, thin needle through the mother's abdomen into the amniotic sac to withdraw a small sample of the amniotic fluid for examination. The fluid is then tested to determine the presence or absence of an open neural tube defect. Small or closed defects may not be picked up by this test.

Thanks Dionne, that's really helpful.

I wonder if I'll have to have an amniocentisis then? aswell as the scan?

How long did the scan take for you?

When did they tell you the results, right at the end of the test?

hi ya
my mum had this with me and was told to have an abortion, but i dont have it i am fine
i hope it all goes well for u tomoz hun

the scan went on for about 25mins its a great scan thou they go into sooo much detail right down to counting the toes

they tell u there and then as they are looking it was like
"theres the head it all looks fine just going to go right down the spin yeah thats fine nothing missing"
that kind of thing so you dont have to sit round after waiting

then if its the worse and there is a prob they will be able to say how serious it is..

hi sam sorry you have this worry hun i hope all goes well for you 2moro will be thinking of you xxxxxxxxx

Sorry to hear you've got this worry Sam, but at least they are doing something for you. What time is your scan today hun? I'll be thinking of you. xxx

Was this shown up from just a routine blood test? I had bloods taken last Tuesday, but my midwife is crap and didn't tell me what they were for apart from Downs. So I'm not even sure if I've had the test and being 35, surely I'm higher risk than you for a start?

Good luck hunny, let us know how you get on.

it was from her 16week test, the test are for downs and spina bifida, yh my mum had 2 babies after 35 and she was high risk usualy does come back high the older u are.
her scans at 9am. hope its all ok for her

Oh Sam I hope all goes well for you today.. I know it must be a worry for you but like Dionne says.. the scan will be very detailed and can completely contradict the blood test.. so many factors affect the blood tests .. that is why they are only 70-80% reliable in picking up things.. that means they could pick up false readings too and scare us to death!!

I had my SB results yesterday and I am gonna be 37 in April.. my result was 35 which aparently is OK.. but not fab...my scan is tomorrow so I will know more then. Yes Tankett the risk does increase with age.. as with downs... chase your m/w re results!!!

Good luck today and let us know how it goes.. thinking of you xxxx

Hiya,
We just got back from the hospital and everything was fine.

We went in this little room at first and waited to see a consultant, who went through every eventuality with us and was abit upsetting but also reasurring at the same time.

Then we had to wait for about an hour to get scanned (which seemed like forever!) We were finallt called into the scan room and I lost it as soon as I lay down, it was awful. She showed me the heartbeat and that was fine. Then it seemed like ages till she spoke to us again. Apparently it was wiggling about so she couldn't see the bottom of the back. But she said everything looked normal from what she could see, but needed to check the bottom of the spine. So I had to go for a walk to see if I could move it around a bit and by the time we got back in for the second part of the scan she could clearly see the bottom of the spine and everything was perfect!

We got a scan pic and found out the sex, she had her legs open and there was nothing there!!!!....So there gos my feeling it was a boy and all the chinese charts were wrong too!?!
She did say to not buy anything pink yet and to wait for the 20week scan just to be sure but she was pretty certain.

So, I now have another scan at 28weeks to check the growth, so we get to see her? again!! :D

Also, the consultant said that the results are sometime high for no reason, so anyone who has high results on there afp tests, try not to worry! (easier said than done, I know!)

Thankyou to everyone for your concerns, I really apprieciate it. xxx

Thanks again, Sam xx

Im glad to hear it worked out for you :D :D

Congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope it goes smoothly for you here on in :D

Hi Sam

I have been following the thread glad all is ok, i would definitly hold off buying anything pink my friend was told at 15 wks when she has a scan it was a boy and when she went for 20 wk scan it was really a girl :doh:
:lol:

sarah

Thats great news! and to top it all off you got a scan pic and know the sex! So happy for you x x

Sam that is such great news.. what a relief!! And you had the bonus of finding out it is a little girl.. how wonderful you both must be feeling this afternoon!!

Just goes to show how scary these blood tests results can be.. thank goodness for ultrasounds eh!

Oh how lovely.. a lickle girl :clap: :dance: :dance:

xx

Phew!!! What a relief that must have been!

I was going to put something in my earlier post about not worrying too much, and looking on it as an opportunity to see your bubba again, but then I thought again. If someone had said that to me when I was going through the worry you were, I would have lamped them for being insensitive!!!!!! :shock: :lol:

And a little girl!!!! Fantastic news!!!!!!! :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:

Phew, what a relief Sam, I'm really glad everything went well for you and your OH today, you must have been frantic in the last 24 hours. Great news and a lovely little bonus in finding out the sex!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back