soooooooooo ANGRY

Anna23

Reaction score
My partner has been signed off on the sick for 2 weeks and his job have practicly told him he will lose his job over being off for 2 weeks, so we decided to ask for advise and they told him that his job are aloud to do this so basicly he has to go back to work tomorrow even though he is oviously unfit to work otherwise he looses his job!!!

Who did you ask for advice hun cause i am pretty sure thats not right.

Ditto what Flame has said.

Someone cannot be sacked when off sick etc. If he has been signed off the company should respect that.

Did you call CAB? Read employment rights?

Is it agency work? Permanent? Contract?

oooo I agree with the others..they can't do that...even in Spain as long as its backed by a medical certificate.... and they can sack you for being pregnant here.... if its agency work, then thats different, because he's not employed by the company but the agency, and while he can't be fired from his job with the agency, he won't be paid for not working because agencies are there to cover empty necessary posts. :think: you need to speak with CAB.... :think:

no it's not agency, we phoned the cab but they were closed so we phoned the jobcentre and they gave us a no for the ACAF (who ever that is) and they said that aparently they can do that!!!!!

can you believe this his employer is not accepting his sick note!!!!!!!!!!

Its ACAS

http://www.acas.org.uk

Give them a call and have the facts to hand. Consider any other possible factors that may have arisen that could affect your OH's employer seeking to terminate his employment, ie Written or verbal warnings etc. It all plays a part.

if it is simply based on the signed off sick for 2 weeks then again you need to tell them exactly what has happened for them to be able to advise you.

Has he had alot of time off sick? I believe if an employee has alot of time off sick over a certain period the employer is able to take action, I'm not 100% but I know my friend took loads of sick time off for various different reasons and she was asked to resign she had quite a few warnings first though apparently it was in the contract that if you have more then a certain number of days off espcially is its not consecutive i.e. day here day there then they can take action including sacking not sure if this is legal but there are a few buisness I know with similar policy so guess it would have to be :think:

Perhaps try CAB again when they are open, if he hasnt had alot of time off previously then definately fight it cause it can't be legal then! :hug:

Read this page also

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10026619

Does your OH fall into that catagory I've pasted in from it below?

If you are persistently off sick (or long-term sick), you employer should normally look at any alternatives before deciding to dismiss you. For example they might have to consider whether the job itself is making you sick and needs to be changed.

You should be aware that you can still be dismissed if you are off sick.

Your employer would normally be expected to allow a reasonable amount of time for you to recover from your illness. The actual amount will depend on things like:
how long it will take to recover
how certain it is that you will recover (with some illnesses, like broken bones, it is clear how long it will take but with something like stress it can be uncertain)
how easy it is to get cover
whether your job can be kept open

If you have a disability (which may include long-term illness), your employer has a legal duty to try to find a way round the problem by making 'reasonable adjustments' to how and/or where you work. Dismissal because of a disability may be unlawful discrimination.

They cannot sack your OH for that unless he's already been warned, either verbal or written before but if he hasnt then they have to give him a written warning before they can sack him but that also depends on how long he has been there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back