So much to learn!!!

cherelle

Reaction score
Is anybody else scared that they ahve so much to learn about looking after a baby???

My due date is getting closer and closer and im thinking oh crap .... how do i know how often to change him, what clothes to dress him in when in its hot, do i feed him whenever he wants? ..... etc etc

Its exciting but im scared!!

once you have been a mum a week you will feel like a pro :)

I am like you, totally clueless but I am sure your instincts will kick in and you will just do this automatically, think we are all worrying about impending births if this is your 1st x

Yep!!! Woke up the other morning thinking about how to make up bottles lol. There is heaps to learn, but I'm guessing all first time mums have felt the same, after all we don't really get taught how to do these things. I was really hands on with my friends baby but that was nearly 7 years ago and he wasn't mine so its very different! You'll be great!!!!

x:)

bottles are easy :) if you have 3 oz of water then you will have 3 level scoops of formula on my ds

i would put the boiled water in say he was on 4oz then that would be 4 oz of water in each bottle then put the lids on and allow to cool then i bought the formula dispensers and put 4 level scoops in each dispenser so when i needed a bottle i just poured the formula into the bottle and warm it up

Thanks midnight :) I got one of those tommee tippee flasks as well, so I'm not having to wait for the kettle to boil everytime baby is hungry!

x

It is scary thinking about what to put them in and what they want etc, but even if you've had children before every baby is different and once you have had them for a few days you start to get to know them, even with my 5th i was still learning, when i tried to get him off the breast and onto formula it took my sister who hasn't actually had a child herself to work out he would only take the ready made milk and not the powder, she took him for the weekend and got him on bottles and off me, cause he wouldn;t take bottles from me. So my biggest piece of advice is listen to peoples advice and take what you want and ignore what you want. because everynewill have an opinion on what you doing and with the likes of me people can be to scared to offer advice cause they think you must know everything and you dont.

Is anybody else scared that they ahve so much to learn about looking after a baby???

My due date is getting closer and closer and im thinking oh crap .... how do i know how often to change him, what clothes to dress him in when in its hot, do i feed him whenever he wants? ..... etc etc

Yep!!! I am totally clueless about pretty much everything! Have never even changed a nappy and I'm 38 years old! Making up bottles? I haven't even got a clue about how to sterilise a bottle!!!! xxxx

I actually googled the other day 'how often a day does babys nappy need changed' and it took me to the baby centre, they have loads info. But I was gobsmacked when it said 8-10 times a day at first. I get scared but I'm guessing it all comes to you naturally xx

I actually googled the other day 'how often a day does babys nappy need changed' and it took me to the baby centre, they have loads info. But I was gobsmacked when it said 8-10 times a day at first. I get scared but I'm guessing it all comes to you naturally xx

I know what you mean Emma, i spoke to a woman with a small baby the other day and she said she gets through at least 10 nappies a day. Ten a day!! Thats like a nappy change every hour! :shock:

I know. When the hell do you change them, I thought they slept lots and then ate then slept again haha. I asked my mum ages ago and she said she thinks its after each feed, it thought she would know all the answers but suppose it was 26 years in april since she has last had a baby lol. Xx

lol, isnt is funny how people forget how they looked after a baby! I have a step sister who is only 8 but my mum says she cant remember much about what to do with a baby lol

Lol its weird. I think aswel cos things change so often with how to do certain things with baby that people are scared to tell you incase they give you wrong advice. And then you get the other ones like MIL who just want to shove the advice down your throat, grrrr annoying! Xx

i have always changed baby nappy every feed, then at about 2/3 weeks old i dont change it middle of night feed to help them start to see difference betwen night and day, unless obviously they have pooed and it needs changing in middle of night.

Yep!!! I am totally clueless about pretty much everything! Have never even changed a nappy and I'm 38 years old! Making up bottles? I haven't even got a clue about how to sterilise a bottle!!!! xxxx

Amanda! You've never changed a nappy!!!! :shock: lol, its easy enough although I used to put my nephews on back to front:whistle: Its annoying when they're wriggly and sticking their fingers in a pooey bum :lol::lol: nappies I'm ok with but the amount of nappy changes at first is heaps!

Lol its weird. I think aswel cos things change so often with how to do certain things with baby that people are scared to tell you incase they give you wrong advice. And then you get the other ones like MIL who just want to shove the advice down your throat, grrrr annoying! Xx

Yeah ditto! My MIL is a nice lady and usually fairly shy but shes been quite forceful with her advice!! And she also insists on being at the hospital and seeing our son 'the minute he's born' which im a bit weary of cos i dont know if ill be in a it state!

Pinky - ive changed a few nappies but only for little girls, its going to be weird changing a boys nappy!! lol x

Yeah ditto! My MIL is a nice lady and usually fairly shy but shes been quite forceful with her advice!! And she also insists on being at the hospital and seeing our son 'the minute he's born' which im a bit weary of cos i dont know if ill be in a it state!

Pinky - ive changed a few nappies but only for little girls, its going to be weird changing a boys nappy!! lol x

You need to put your foot down with your MIL hun, or get your OH to say something lol. I found it weird changing Williams nappy at first, but you get used to it. I get confused about how much blankets and sheets they need!!!! I like the sleeping bags so I have a few, I like the idea that they can't kick them off. Its all so complicated :lol:

yeah - i wouldnt want to upset MIL cos shes very sensitive :-s but i have told OH that i only want visitors when i say im ready!! Especially because shes bringing her professional camera to take pics of us all and im dreading that!!!! lol its awful but u gotta laugh

Ive been given a couple of those sleeping bag things so i think ill use them too. We need a room thermometer too dont we? Im already obsessed about him being too hot! x

Yeah I have a room thermometer on my monitor. Yeah I'm worrying about the temp too, they do say its better for it to be cooler than warmer - I think :lol: My downstairs is alot cooler than upstairs, its roasting up there!

x x x x

I had to change the room I was going to have nursery in cos it was far too warm so putting him in the cooler room now, its smaller but looks cute for wee baby.

I have said to my OH I don't want anyone at hospital apart from immediate family and I'm hoping he will tell my MIL this cos she likes to show off so will want to bring his whole family up. Also she stays round corner from me so I'm worrying she's going to be up visiting allll the time. I've told my OH I'm taking the batteries out the doorbell and ignoring my phone if people turn up uninvited hahaha. Hope I'm not being selfish xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back