So confused with feeding!

diane

Reaction score
Can anybody run me through bottle feeding please? It's the one thing I can't get my head around!
Do you boil water everytime you make a feed? I want to do the recommened methods by the nhs. I've heard people that boil water then pour into bottles and put all the feeds in the fridge, but also been told this is no longer recommended?

So can somebody just run through how they do their feeds everyday please? Thanks in advance! X

Formula feeding is a minefield of do's and dont's :shock:
I boil the kettle once in the morning and fill about 3 bottles with the correct amount of water. I use powder dispensers and add to the water as and when needed. I then repeat this in the afternoon/evening.
Some people will say that this is not correct as the water is not hot when you are adding the powder BUT i have used this method with both of my children, many friends/family have too and more importantly I was told this was fine by my mw, hv and GP.
Good luck x

they have brought out new guidelines in the last couple of years regarding keeping bottles in fridge and advise this shouldnt be done. However, it is entirely up to yourself, as my hv said...they have to tell you the latest guidelines but it is ultimately up to you what you want to do. I started off making bottles as and when I needed them.....but now I make up 3 bottles in the morning and keep them in the fridge. My sister did this with all 3 of her babies, with no problems at all, and so have many other people I know. x

I make then an hour before needed and let them cool z

we never knew when LO would want a bottle, so we used to boil the kettle, leave to cool for 30mins then fill a flask! that way when LO wanted a bottle, we could make it fresh and had water at the right temperature sitting waiting for us.

we then empty the kettle, pour in more fresh water and boil it ready to fill the flask for the next bottle!

the flask it also great for going out and about if you want to give LO warm milk and not a ready made carton.

Thank you ladies!!! Good to just hear some real life stories about how to do this! Feel a bit more calm now xxx

Formula feeding is a minefield of do's and dont's :shock:
I boil the kettle once in the morning and fill about 3 bottles with the correct amount of water. I use powder dispensers and add to the water as and when needed. I then repeat this in the afternoon/evening.
Some people will say that this is not correct as the water is not hot when you are adding the powder BUT i have used this method with both of my children, many friends/family have too and more importantly I was told this was fine by my mw, hv and GP.
Good luck x

I do exactly the same thing as LO likes his milk at room temperature and we haven't had any problems x

Boiled water last 24h so you only need to do your bottles once a day
I personally do my steriler & bottles all at the same time so he has water in all
Of his bottles ready for the day then simply add the milk as and when need, I keep bottles at room temp x

They says it's the milk that's not sterile, so it has to be added to hot water to kill off any bacteria.

I sterilise the bottles, boil the kettle and put the correct OZ of water in the bottles. I add the powder, then cool all the bottles down quickly in a bowl of iced water. I put them in the fridge until needed. They can be kept for 24 hours. I just warm one up when needed.

If I am going out, I just put the bottles in a small insulated cool bag, and find somewhere to warm them up when needed.

I just fill my bottles and add the milk when cold IMO milk companies say it to cover there backs and due to the fact neither of my boys would touch even slightly warm milk It worked best for us

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back