Smear Test

BabyNumber1

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place but...

I was wondering if i should have been sent a letter about having a smear test? I am only 23 but i have heard and read that everyone who has had a baby should have one?

Should i just wait for a letter or should i ring my doctors and ask for one? Im worried they will just fob me off?

Thanks
xx

Usually if you've had a baby they do it at your 6 week check up after giving birth. Maybe you should phone the GP and ask them?
xxx

Yeh ive seen quite a few people say they had theirs at their check but i didnt :/ ill speak to my doctor and request one again!

Surely they cant just point blank refuse it! x

In England, women are not offered a smear until the age of 25. In theory, you can't request one either and they can definitely refuse.

This is the way the screening programme works in the UK. The reason is that that risk of cervical cancer is low and the chance of false positive at this age is high. False positives mean women having invasive tests like colposcopy when they don't need them.

Unless you have a reason to, such as family history or bleeding after sex, I wouldn't worry.

Ive just booked mine. I've never had one which is really really bad of me. I had Owen a year ago too. So all
Booked in.

Mum of Owen. Born 11/7/11 @ 19.17pm weighing 7lb 12 oz :)

I was told my 6 week check was too early to have a smear because of cell changes caused by pregnancy! I had my first smear at 20 but I think it has changed to 25 now. If you are worried about anything definitely request one xxx

I had mine about 6 months after I turned 25, I got a letter through the post!

Ive been having them since I was at college. I had to have a colposcopy as I had some abnormal cells. I was told by my dr that they like to wait untilm6 months after birth so that your body has got back to normal. He said the 6 weeks check would be far to early. I just had mine about 2 weeks ago, waiting for results.......

I've never had one and I've had two children!! Should get one really!!

I've never had one so wouldn't know.
I think that they should be offered at a younger age, they give the HPV vaccine at like 17 years old to protect against cervical cancer, so why not offer the smear too?! x

I live in Scotland and you can have your 1st smear at 21. I think it's ashame that its 25and over in England.
There really not a big deal :) xxx

My sister has 2 LO's but as she is 24 she was never offered a smear after either of them.

It took some mid cycle bleeding for her GP to do one, however once she reported the bleeding they did get her in immediately and get it all looked into!

I would def ask hun

xxxxxxxxx

Im almost 26 and have a lo and no smear!!

Im gonna call docs tomorrow. X

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

I booked one for today as I thought you were supposed to get one after baby. I turned up and she said you had one 2 and half years ago, and they are every three years...i said, can't you do one anyway and she said no!

I had my first at 17, they told me way back in the day I'm supposed to have one as soon as sexually active, although they've changed it all now lol
I now need one every year until I'm 40 because I had treatment for abnormal cells when i was 29

i would go hun, after having kids its makes the risk higher, where i am at 25 you automatically get one, but if you have kids no matter what age you have one then too!

dont worry its not painful they have different little swab things now that are soft! not like the old ones that were spikey!

over and done with in 10 mins sweety xxx

Always better to get checked and like lynette says, it's over quickly. I got my results back and everything is normal :yay: so happy as really expected it to be abnormal again!

I requested one 6 weeks after giving birth and my GP said no not until I am 25!

I have been having them since I was 16, there was no discussion about it my GP just told me to get one at 16 and I have had them every 3 years since. I didn't question it at the time but found out in later years that my mum had cancerous cells found during a smear and she also had a molar pregnancy so although it isn't meant to be hereditary I think he was just airing on the side of caution by giving me smears from an early age. I had my last smear a month before I fell pregnant but they didn't label up my swab properly so it was never tested! After my miscarriage my doctor advised me that I need to go and get another smear done but I am still waiting for the bleeding to stop following my mmc before I can go.

Last edited:
Sitting in docs waiting for mine now actually . Pretty grim! :/

Mum of Owen. Born 11/7/11 @ 19.17pm weighing 7lb 12 oz :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back