A reason why we should all have smear tests...

its deffo 25 here too. And they dont do one if you have a coil fitted either. I kept getting asked have i had one - but then they look at my age and say - oh never mind. I was tested for chalmidia and stuff before coil and durring pregnancy - but not a smear.

A few years ago it was 20 that they started smear testing - i know cos i giot a letter through - but by the time i rang to make at appointment (possible 6 months later) they said its cvhanged to 25 now, so no need. :think: :think:
(im 24 with 2 kids now tho!)

I haven't had one yet - when I lived in Wales I got 2 reminders through when I turned 20 and never went :oops: , but when I moved back to England and re-registered with my docs I never heard anything so guess it must be have been 25.

I too have been having them regually since about 18 , i had an abnormal one becuase of an infection :oops: ( dam cheeting ex) but then in 2006 i had another abnormal ( after an abnormal u have them every year ) Well this time i had CIN 3 cells, and was informed nicely i would have had cancer within 4 years or sooner I WAS 23 when i had that smear done !!! I too had the laser loop surgery , unforuntantly got infected ( very rare) and was in hospital 3 days on a drip :wall: but got the all clear 6 months later , ive just had another smear and ive got the all clear again , but stll have to have them yearly now .

Cervical cancer can be caused by having sex... theres an STD that can cause it... Its why they now have vaccinations for girls to help prevent it...and several religious groups are up in arms as they say it causes promiscuousness... it doesn't but it does protect your daughter from getting cervical cancer in the future. The thing is you might not have sex till your married but it doesn't matter you could still get this STD that causes cancer...its just the more sexual partners you have the more likely your chances are of getting it...its a matter of probability. They offer them in Spain as a matter of course and I KNOW that Tia and Lil miss will have their when they come of age.

As for Smears... medical advice is you should have a smear every 3 years starting from the date that you loose your virginity... If you don't loose it till your are 22 then its 25 if you loose it at 13 then you need one at 16. When you get into your 50's you need one every year.

Count your lucky stars you don't live in Spain cos they like doing them every year... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I had my last one done in March this year.. :D I've never found them to be bad... just cold.. very cold.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

edit to say... its been a loooong time since I was in the UK.. they've only changed things to save money...

Isn't it ridiculous that girls are becoming sexually active at younger and younger ages and yet the increase the age for your first smear.

Perhaps a high profile case like this will draw attention to how stupid this is. I am 28 and had one at 21 and another at 26 (which I had to have 3 times as they couldn't get enough cells). I personally think that anyone who refuses have them is stupid (not those who have just put it off or forgotten) it is 10 mins (if that) of discomfort and embarrassment that could save your life. Plus if you get cancer there will be a lot more poking round down there going on! And most of us have had babies, it can't be worse than that!

Squiglet said:
Cervical cancer can be caused by having sex... theres an STD that can cause it... Its why they now have vaccinations for girls to help prevent it...and several religious groups are up in arms as they say it causes promiscuousness... it doesn't but it does protect your daughter from getting cervical cancer in the future. The thing is you might not have sex till your married but it doesn't matter you could still get this STD that causes cancer...its just the more sexual partners you have the more likely your chances are of getting it...its a matter of probability. They offer them in Spain as a matter of course and I KNOW that Tia and Lil miss will have their when they come of age.

Yes, its certain strains of the HPV virus that can cause cervical cancer, which is indeed sexually tranmitted! -This is the virus that there is now the vaccination for. Other strains of this virus cause Genital warts. Not a nice virus! - I'm all for the vaccination!

i've asked countless times if i should have a smear and each time they tell me no, i dont need to have one until im 25.

which, by the time i turn 25 (end of sept this year), i will have had or almost had my THIRD child... and have been sexually active since i was 17.

cost cutting nhs....

Gem & Leland said:
Well this time i had CIN 3 cells, and was informed nicely i would have had cancer within 4 years or sooner I WAS 23 when i had that smear done !!! I too had the laser loop surgery , unforuntantly got infected ( very rare) and was in hospital 3 days on a drip :wall: but got the all clear 6 months later , ive just had another smear and ive got the all clear again , but stll have to have them yearly now .

I had similar story, including being infected after treatment.

I was 23ish (cant remember exactly now) cant believe they let you wait until 25yrs I would demand one especially those more prone to problems, bloody scrimping NHS :evil:

I used to be a nurse and during training had to give an 80 year old a smear as she had come routinley for one at clinic, she hadnt had sex for years (could barley part her arthritic legs) and i doubt they would have treated her if she had abnormal cells but we did it as she had asked.

With STI's as rife as they are we should be encouraging every young woman to get this done as part of their sexual health checks until the new vaccine is in place not making it an issue.

*Star* said:
i've asked countless times if i should have a smear and each time they tell me no, i dont need to have one until im 25.

which, by the time i turn 25 (end of sept this year), i will have had or almost had my THIRD child... and have been sexually active since i was 17.

cost cutting nhs....

thats bloody awful :shock: :shakehead: they should definitely be giving you a smear!!

I had one a few weeks ago, and i can thank this forum (and sweetcheeks for starting the thread about smears..viewtopic.php?f=54&t=84331&st=0&sk=t&sd=a :clap: ) for actually making me get up off my arse and book an appointment....i had one whan i was 20...and now im 28, so i left it 8 years :roll: plenty of time for something to be wrong with me, but THANK GOD i got the results and im all clear. i certainly WILL NOT be waiting another 8 years for a test. I really dont know why i left it so long.

aramintalovegrove said:
With STI's as rife as they are we should be encouraging every young woman to get this done as part of their sexual health checks until the new vaccine is in place not making it an issue.

the HPV vaccine does not prevent cervical cancer nor does it prevent STD's. The vaccine is to proide an immune repsonse to two strains of HPV thought to be responisble for the majority of cervical cancer cases. However there are about 19 high risk HPV strains that could lead to cervical cancer, and experts believe that the vaccine could prevent around 70 per cent of cervical cancer. Therefore it is still vitally important to get regular sreening for cervical cancer even after immunisation.

i had my first at 16 because i was put on the pill and therefore assumed to be sexually active i have had one every 3 years since then, its awful that they are not giving them to women under 25!!! :evil:

i recon if you are under 25 and asked you would get one. and they need to draw the line on when to start testing people- they can't tell what age people are sexually active. But in my opinion 25 is too old.

who do I phone to ask about one? I have been sexually active for 4 years now and have had Evie so would like one (well not really....) just in case. I don't want to phone my docs and ask the receptionist all about it though :oops:

Jade&Evie said:
who do I phone to ask about one? I have been sexually active for 4 years now and have had Evie so would like one (well not really....) just in case. I don't want to phone my docs and ask the receptionist all about it though :oops:

Just phone your GP...If you don't want to go through the receptionist, either book an appointment with the nurse, or ask the receptionist if they can get a nurse to call you back and explain to the nurse who can book the appointment on your behalf.

i didn't realise that clip was of her getting the news (i can't believe it was filmed let alone shown) and some of those comments were disgusting. i have watched three people die of cancer and seen what the disease does to the body and i would not wish it on anyone, not even the morons on youtube.

I know i couldnt read the comments they were making my upset and my blood boil. I really felt for her watching it :(

oh god, that made me cry. to get that kind of news full stop must be devastating but to get that news thousands of miles away from hom and with a load of strangers must be so hard.

:hug: I hope she's home with her family and little boys now :hug:

That report says if she had left it it may have spread - so fingers crossed it hasnt and she will be fine and clear after her op

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back