A reason why we should all have smear tests...

zebrastripes said:
I'm quite worried now, I haven't been offered one or anything :think:
Just ask your doctor hun!
I would! Infact my last one I asked for as I wasnt sure how long it had been!

I think every health care trust is slightly different and there are big differences between England & Scotland so I have no idea the norm for N.Ireland.

Best thing to do if you're concerned is see your doc or nurse at your local surgery.

Becky said:
I think every health care trust is slightly different and there are big differences between England & Scotland so I have no idea the norm for N.Ireland.

aye I know we have travelling cervical cancer vans anyway.... not like any of them would come down this far, probably just take it for granted we die giving birth to incestous children/getting trampled by cows

bloody hell...is it really over 25 now??? :shock: i had my first at 20 :shock: my last showed abnormal cells so i had a colposcopy but she coudnt find the ambormal cells SO im going back tommorrow to have a repeat colposcopy to see if we have any change if so im gonna tell her to just remove the cells id rather go with out sex for three months than risk the cells changing any more...wish me luck ladies i bloody hate this colposcopy thingy :puke: :puke:

my neice has just had her first and she is 19 on thirsday it must be different in different areas

They say you should have your first within 5 years of becoming sexually active - which obviously varies from person to person. In London (Enfield) it was every 3 years but I moved up North bang on 3 years and it became every 5 years so I got 2 years' grace but I'm now out of that by miles too :wall:

I'm far too scared. I've added me name to your list Urchin but I can't see me ever having one again tbh.

I asked my doctor about a smear when I had my Chemical in June and he told me I had to wait till I was 25. :?

Im 20 and never had one,, nor a letter. They send my mum them regulary so it must be 25yrs+ here too. They didnt even mention it when I was pregnant.

debecca said:
I'm far too scared. I've added me name to your list Urchin but I can't see me ever having one again tbh.
Why are you so scared ? :hug:

I have been through the smear,colposcopy and positive cell thing its really really scary.you just feel like your whole world falls apart.thankfully i had what the call a loop excision where they burn the affected cells away,done nder local and quite painless.and everything has been fine since.i always tell everyone to go get a smear 5 minutes of embarrassment to have the smear is definately worth it,although you think with todays modern medicine and scientific world they would have come up with a less embarrassing way to test. :think:

helsekia said:
I have been through the smear,colposcopy and positive cell thing its really really scary.you just feel like your whole world falls apart.thankfully i had what the call a loop excision where they burn the affected cells away,done nder local and quite painless.and everything has been fine since.i always tell everyone to go get a smear 5 minutes of embarrassment to have the smear is definately worth it,although you think with todays modern medicine and scientific world they would have come up with a less embarrassing way to test. :think:
Thats what my aunt had done! though unfortunately she haemorrhaged afterwards!

lea m said:
helsekia said:
Thats what my aunt had done! though unfortunately she haemorrhaged afterwards!

omg dont tell me about haemorraging...shit im having this done 2mrw morning :? :( :shock: :( :( :( :(

Jade&Evie said:
:shock: she's only 27 too.

They say that you don't need a smear until you are 25 so I have never had one

see i thought this, but i was told off when i had my MC for not having one done! when i asked them they said that its from 21. But in my GP's there is a sign on the wall saying "ladies, are you over 25 - have you had a smear test done?"

was also told by my GP that there is no point in having one done till 6 months after bubs is born - there are still abnormal cells floating around? :think:

I had my smear done when i was 19 after my 1st pregnancy (which was unsuccessful) so I had my letter 3 years later.

Went for my smear and was told that it is unusual for someone my age to have another but seeing as though I was there...

I then had 3 abnormal smears (Mild Dsykariosis) - (every 6 months after my 2nd) and had to have treatment. I had CIN 2 areas which had to be removed.

I WAS ONLY 24 WHEN I HAD TREATMENT.

Personally I think the age should be dropped!!!

If they had thier way I would only be getting my smear now at 25..... would it then have developed to CIN 3 or worse???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back