A reason why we should all have smear tests...

:shock: she's only 27 too.

They say that you don't need a smear until you are 25 so I have never had one

I just read it on The Sun website but wasnt sure if it was true :shock: :(

Scary stuff!

Grr it's stories like this that worry me, I can't have one until I'm 25 (I'm only 23 now) even though I'll have had 2 babies which puts me higher risk :x

I've specifically asked the nurse and the doctor about having one early and they've both said they won't do one until I'm 25.

Bloody hell, but when i went and had the swabs done for the coil surely that would have come up with something.

why do you have to wait untill ur 25?? Iam 29 and I have been having smear tests since I was 16, I thought it was as soon as you start having sex. I know Jade Goody has been a fool, but she is so young and has 2 boys lets hope she gets through this, for her boys. Bless her :hug:

mrs_tommo22 said:
Bloody hell, but when i went and had the swabs done for the coil surely that would have come up with something.
nope, the swabs are only testing for specifics things such as bacterial infection and STD's not the presece of abnormal cells. You can have them done at the same time though.

I hope Jade gets better soon.

We were speaking about this in the chat room the other night.

We get called for smears here from 16yrs old on wards. Strange how each area has different ages.

They used to do smear tests from when you were sexually active but they changed it in the last year or so and now you don't have your first until you're 25. I'm glad that I've been lucky to have them.

Cases like this just prove how vital it is to have them as early as possible.

its disgusting that you should have to wait till you are 25. Most people could have been sexually active for 10 years by that point. I hope Jade gets through this. I dont particularly like or dislike her but I would not wish this on anyone. She must be terrified for her children.

I think they offer them to you when you go on the pill because I certainly had one before 25. Had one recently and all clear. The docs called me 6 months after the baby was born.

you can demand to have one if you are sexually active. Especially after 2 kids! How ridiculous to say they won't do one!

I had them under 25.

K.x

maybebaby said:
Grr it's stories like this that worry me, I can't have one until I'm 25 (I'm only 23 now) even though I'll have had 2 babies which puts me higher risk :x

I've specifically asked the nurse and the doctor about having one early and they've both said they won't do one until I'm 25.

Thats ridiculous...is this the new protocol? - You used to have them from 19 every three years after you first became sexually active....I'm shocked if they have moved the age to 25 because at only 19 I had Grade III CIN changes, which is basically the stage before cancer and if it wasn't picked up by the smear I had then, I would have most certainly gone on to develop cervical cancer.

my mum didnt have one for 10 years and got stage 4 cervical cancer :(
i keep meaning to make an appointment :?

mrs_tommo22 said:

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure the tests they do before you have a coil fitted are just to check you don't have any infections (Basically anything that can be treated with antibiotics) They don't actually take cells from the neck of the cervix for specific analysis.

I have to have one every 18 months as my aunt and sis had cervical cancer :( Been having them sicne I was 17 :roll:

Wait, does this mean that I can'y get one?
I'm sexually active, I'm on the pill and I have a baby, so shouldn't I be getting one

(on a different note, i learnt yesterday that breasfteeding for 2 years actually decreases the risk of cervical cancer by 25% so if you bf 2 babies for 2 years eaxh you're 50% less likely...)

Me and my mum were talking about smear tests this morning!
I'm on the pill and I keep bleeding even though I always remember to take my pill.
We have a long history of cervical cancer in the family. My mum was diagnosed after
she had my younger brother and had to have her womb taken out.
It can be scary being a woman with all the nasty things that come with it.

Jade&Evie said:
:shock: she's only 27 too.

They say that you don't need a smear until you are 25 so I have never had one
They usually give you one after you have a baby hun! :think: You should ask!

I had one after I had Joseph, Dillon and Lucy even though there was only a small gap betweens them!
So I had my first at 17! My aunt didnt go for years and had pre-cancerous cells! Luckily they removed them and shes been fine since! She was 30!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back