Sick of being told how to bring my LO up

katie_lou

Reaction score
I am sick to the back teeth of people telling me how to bring my child up .

Don't do this and don't do that or you should do it this way ..NO I will do it my way and do what's best for MY baby .
I am sick of people saying you will make a rod for your own back about me
Cosleeping - well it works for me and my daughter so get over it .the new one i have been getting is you have to let your baby cry ...NO I DONT !!!!
My parenting choices might not be the same as others but I would never dream of saying to some one don't do that . We should be able to bring up our children how we want and not be judged for it.

Sorry for the rant xxx

I completely sympathise!! I hate how people assume they can tell you how to bring up your children!! Drives me up the wall! They're my children, I'll do it my way!! Argh!!! :hugs: I'm sure you're a brilliant mummy! I got whined at for wearing DS, for co-sleeping, for giving him a dummy, for cuddling him to sleep, for not letting him cry, for paying him too much attention, for BLW-I could go on! Do it your way and let no one put you down for it xx

Thanks hun it's so frustrating isn't it x

some people are just trying to help...pass on experience.

i always listen to advice and take some bits from some or maybe nothing but sometimes advice from those with experience can be invaluable.

dont always think of it as a negative thing or a slant on your personal parenting choices.... :)

its competitive mums that annoy me...lol :D xx

Unfortunately I know it was negative digs as the comments all came from my mil and they were all pretty nasty. :'(

I hate competitive mums too!!

some people are just trying to help...pass on experience.

i always listen to advice and take some bits from some or maybe nothing but sometimes advice from those with experience can be invaluable.

dont always think of it as a negative thing or a slant on your personal parenting choices.... :)

its competitive mums that annoy me...lol :D xx

I do listen to advice and I am grateful for it but at times I just don't want to hear it , it feels like other people think there way of parenting is right and they ram it down your throat . I think am just having a bad day lol.

Oh god competitive mums don't get me started lol

Xxx

Unfortunately I know it was negative digs as the comments all came from my mil and they were all pretty nasty. :'(

I hate competitive mums too!!

oh...not so good then :(

arrgh yeah i hate that too. i dont mind advice but my mum keeps making little comments like 'another nappy for the landfill' and 'its that formula thats making her fat' like i dont bf and i dont use cloth nappies, just cos i combi feed and use disposies too when were out or for bed! id understand if i didnt bf at all or use cloth at all but nothing is ever good enough for that woman. u do something your proud of she can always think of a way it could be better and tells you how to fix it! grrr

lol i love her to bits and were really close but she does make me bite my tongue a fair bit with comments like those

I had this problem with my nan she was adamant that I put harry on a bottle and I just told her to back off, it's my hubby who tells me how to bring harry up and it really winds me up, it's ok for him to pipe up how I should do things a certain way because harry prefers it, but he's not the one with harry all day every dayi am so I'll bring him up how I want, I nearly kicked his ass the other day because he keeps letting him cry and not see to him! I'm not against controlled crying but its just not my cup of tea, I'd rather have a happy baby any day xxx and I hate competitve mums aswell all babies are special in their own way why do we need to compete?

My mum says to let Albert cry....so I did when we were round her house lol

i think it's too distressing for us as mums and too stressful for the poor little mites id rather fall out with my family than let harry cry for too long breaks my heart to hear him cry :(

A baby's cry is scientifically proven to be designed to drive it's mother mad. We hear them 3 times louder than anyone else does, we can distinguish their cry over hundreds of other babies. It's like that for a reason, our babies cry because they need us for one thing or another and I defy any woman who can sit in a room with their own baby crying and be able to ignore it.

I've not even popped yet and I'm already sick of being told what to do with him and what not to do with him! Every mum and baby is different! Why don't people understand this?! Sod them, whatever works for you and baby is all that matters!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Hearing my LO cry breaks my heart , I know controlled crying works for some but I can just about listen to her cry for a min x

I agree Katie!! DS didn't sleep through until he was one and the amount of people who were trying to push me into controlled crying is untrue! To me it's unnatural and goes against all my instincts as a mummy!

Jack's Cousin is 11 days younger than him and his Parents constantly compare them, its so annoying! The usual comment is 'oooo he's so light' because Jack's only 19lbs and George is over 2 stone!!

They make excuses for why George doesn't even pick up finger food when they see Jack munching away on sarnies and fruit/veggies. It's because they don't allow George to use his hands, they just spoon feed him.

They made cmments when George got his teeth first and when George slept through the night first and when he sat up unaided first.

Now they are absolutely gutted because Jack's almost walking and George is just about crawling & pulling himself up!! Also they thought because George is massive compared to Jack that he'd be the bully and torment Jack etc ... we went round there the other day and Jack kept poking him in the face and pulling his tshirt (as babies do) making George cry. They actually got the hump because it was Jack doing the 'bullying' and not George!!! How sad!!! x

I think everyone gets this hun. Whether its from health visitors, midwives, friends, family...everyone has something to say. Often it's just well meaning people trying to pass on advice but other times (as is often the case with my MIL) i do feel like she's trying to tell me what to do. Mostly i just nod and agree and say i'll try it, then just blatantly ignore her and do what i want anyway.

You have to do things your way. Obviously there are some general rules but ultimately everyone's pregnancy/birth/parenting experience is different. When i was pregnant i kept hearing about this huge rush of love i'd have when Jack was born. It didn't happen like that for me and i felt really guilty and ashamed. Obviously now i look at him and melt, but our bond was more of a grower (think it was a lot to do with the traumatic birth).

My point is that people often don't realise that they can actually be doing harm by passing on their own views, experience and opinions. Best just to take each day as it comes and do things your own way i think xx

Jack's Cousin is 11 days younger than him and his Parents constantly compare them, its so annoying! The usual comment is 'oooo he's so light' because Jack's only 19lbs and George is over 2 stone!!

They make excuses for why George doesn't even pick up finger food when they see Jack munching away on sarnies and fruit/veggies. It's because they don't allow George to use his hands, they just spoon feed him.

They made cmments when George got his teeth first and when George slept through the night first and when he sat up unaided first.

Now they are absolutely gutted because Jack's almost walking and George is just about crawling & pulling himself up!! Also they thought because George is massive compared to Jack that he'd be the bully and torment Jack etc ... we went round there the other day and Jack kept poking him in the face and pulling his tshirt (as babies do) making George cry. They actually got the hump because it was Jack doing the 'bullying' and not George!!! How sad!!! x

Sounds like poor little George could have a terrible childhood hun. What a couple of morons

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back