sensor mat?

We have one because DH lost his sister to SIDS, so for us it was essential.

Only time the alarm went off was if we lifted her out the crib and didn't turn it off .

yes thats what i need to remember turn off before getting baby out of cot in night for feed
so sorry about your OH sister

I was ok at night, lol - there's a warning beep first, so you can lean over and turn it off if the monitor is close enough.

It was during day, or getting up first thing, I'd be half way down the stairs and have to run back up! Lol

we never had one, baby was in with us til 7 months in her cot cos we managed to fit it into the bedroom with some creative furniture stacking lol so we will do the same this time and not get one

I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but is the idea that if the alarm goes off you will be in time to save baby by resuscitation?

I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but is the idea that if the alarm goes off you will be in time to save baby by resuscitation?

This isn't a stupid question at all, I've been wondering the same thing! Because they always seem to say that SIDS has no known cause and if its going to happen there's not a lot you can do... But I guess if you we're alerted within 20 seconds of baby stopping breathing then you'd at least have a chance to do something. Also I suppose if baby stopped breathing for reasons other than SIDS, say if they got caught up in the blanket, then you'd definitely be able to help them.

To answer the original question, we have a sensor mat but my main reason for getting one was that I was so paranoid about SIDS when ds was a baby that I just couldn't sleep soundly, even when he was! I don't think they are a necessity, just handy for peace of mind although I'm worried I won't actually trust mine and will still be up a million times a night checking on baby anyway!

Xxx

Last edited:
I think they are just an expensive gimmick and if you had one you would just be on edge all the time.

I did read that by the time y=they stop breathing it's too late anyway, but that was another forum so i don't know how factual that statement is. It would certainly be the case you would need to know baby CPR and if you don't it's best not to get a mat as you'd feel even MORE helpless if something did happen and you couldn't even try.

xx

Didnt have one for Alice but because tempy was in neo natal because of her breathing for £30 I got a Tommie tippe one, not had a false alarm yet but it is good because when I pick her out to feed it goes off if I forget to press the botton, wont be using it much longer and going to sell it and get some money bk that way x

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Plus wet lung isnt common but does happen and if mw hadnt noticed at the last minute she wasnt breathing right she could have stopped later that night without the oxygen. Its not just sids -- I suggest everyone takes a minute to read up on baby CPR its two fingers in the middle of there chest and light breaths like your blowing out a candle two breaths 30 pumps until ambulance arrives. Not trying to scare anyone its very unlikley but better to know just in case xxx

One theory behind SIDS is that baby goes into a deep sleep and forgets to breathe. (Like have you ever jump started yourself outta a sleep!!) so alarm can go off at very shallow breathing, as opposed to finding a baby hours later cos you just assumed the slept through.

Where I got mine not a massive expence to me xx

Plus wet lung isnt common but does happen and if mw hadnt noticed at the last minute she wasnt breathing right she could have stopped later that night without the oxygen. Its not just sids -- I suggest everyone takes a minute to read up on baby CPR its two fingers in the middle of there chest and light breaths like your blowing out a candle two breaths 30 pumps until ambulance arrives. Not trying to scare anyone its very unlikley but better to know just in case xxx

I totally agree, I've done first aid and I will be reminding myself of the procedure for babies. We don't want to obsess about bad things happening but it's good to be prepared.

Yeh I think people forget that sometimes there is something u can do, and lets face it of everyone in the world told u there was.nothing u can do if it actually happened would u listen or try everything in the world to try. Im so depressing but I had a dont bother attitiude with Alice but when something happened with temperance you couldnt get me to the shop fast enouhh, I was literally walking out the door the mw only came In to say bye, it was so close my baby was blue! Unbenown to me who didnt have a clue. Poor thing was born sobbing lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back