Second Vs First Labour

Wednesday

Reaction score
Hi ladies

My first labour was 22 hours and I'm hearing a lot that a second labour tends to be shorter - I so hope this is true!!

How long was your first and second labour?

My first labour first niggles til being born was 10hrs 45mind but ended in c section at 7cm. My 2nd labour was just over 6hrs from first niggles to being born. My 3rd I was induced and labour was 38mins long!! So mine got quicker each time xx

I was induced for both and they were almost identical labours and deliveries. I was also told many times that my second labour would be easier and quicker but unfortunately everyone was wrong, if anything my second labour was slightly longer than my first. I don't think you can predict it x

According to the labour summary paperwork the hospital issued me, my first labour was 4hrs something and my second was 1hr and 37minutes!!

My second labour was most definitely much faster! So much so we almost didn't get to the hospital in time! I arrived at 2.10 and delivered her at 2.12!!

XX

Most stories I've heard it's been people saying their labours were quicker with each pregnancy. I'm really hoping this is true! With my first from first proper contraction to him being born was 42 hours, a really complicated long drawn out labour. Even if I could have a labour half that time this time round I'd be happy!! Xx

Oh goodness Mrs S! I don't envy you, I thought my 22 hour labour was bad enough! Xx

Oh goodness Mrs S! I don't envy you, I thought my 22 hour labour was bad enough! Xx

Yeah Wednesday it wasn't fun :lol: I was so glad I didn't have a birth plan as nothing would have went the way I wanted! I'm going to stay at home as long as I possibly can this time and pray when I get to hospital they don't say 'I know you've been contracting for 20 hours but you're only 3cm' :lol: xx

My first was 5 hours and my second was just under 3 hours

My first was 24 hrs nice smooth calm lovely I got to 3cm without even noticing anything gad started! my second was 48hours. 40 hours from regular contractions 5-10mins apart with 8 hours of full on active labour and a full hour of pushing at the end. Hellish x

Last edited:

Yeah Wednesday it wasn't fun :lol: I was so glad I didn't have a birth plan as nothing would have went the way I wanted! I'm going to stay at home as long as I possibly can this time and pray when I get to hospital they don't say 'I know you've been contracting for 20 hours but you're only 3cm' :lol: xx

Lol that happened with me and then I finally got to 5cm.... then 4hrs layer I was back to 3cm again :wall2:

With my first I was induced at 13 days over. From first contraction he was born 8hr but only 2hr after waters going and being 5cm. He came 9mins after active pushing.

With my second I had a sweep and went into labour. From first contraction I was a total 30 hr. I contracted Fri night, all spent all Sat in the bath and on the ball then went to hospital and was 7cm got to that point on paracetamol. Then I spent 4hr in the pool with some G&A and then I got out pushed him out and we were home after 6hr.

If I was to have another labour tomorrow I'd have the second all over again longer yes but painless, peaceful and to plan. The first was out like a cannon and it hurt like hell and was a shock to the system lol.

You just never know what you'll get lol.

xxxx

I really hope it's true!

My first was 12 hrs with epidural and all was fine until the pushing started ans DD' shoulder got stuck... Lets hope 2nd is faster and more straight forward x

First labour was 51 hours from timing contractions to delivery (almost 15h from arriving at hospital and delivering. And I was 5cm when I arrived!!!)

Second was 4 hours from waters going to delivery. (95 minutes from arrival at hospital to delivering)

Hope it doesn't end up being too much quicker for number 3!!!

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1st labour 8 hours, 2nd 2 hours, 3rd 1.5 hours

I'm so ultra jealous that you seem to have easier births 2nd 3rd time round. I'm not gping to try for no3 as mine seem to get progressively worse! Don't think I could survive a 72hr labour!!!

I can't believe how different mine were.

With Cam, I was on the drip to keep things moving due to meuconium in my waters. I was asking for an epidural although ended up on just g&a and diamorphine. With Eleanor I was only heading to the hospital as I wanted to get in the pool and have some g&a for pain relief. I had no idea I was so far along! I guess that's why it was hurting so much! Lol!

XX

I think it's true. Was in labor for more than 6hrs on my first and just 2 hrs on my second.

I’m loving that for most of you, your 2nd labours oneard were shorter, I’m due my second next year and was induced with my first and ended up with whole number of issues and a 38hr long labour, and third degree tare which almost led me to theatre after giving birth, But I think the worst part of all was having the epidural and it only making my legs numb, so I still felt every single contraction yet I couldn’t move about like I felt i needed to was hell lol. I’ve been told however that there’s a 98% chance I’ll need a c-section this time due to having a brain hemmoraghe last year, but I’m still so desperate for a natural and hopefully short labour, got consultant appointment the end of this month so I’ll know the plan then, fingers are crossed xx

I really hope for me it’s much much shorter than last time. With DS contractions started on the Saturday night, by the Monday night I was still getting strong contractions and was only 1cm! Went in on the Tuesday morning and 2 doses of pethadine and a 5 hour nap later and I was 7cm! They moved me up to the delivery suite where I had gas and air and an epidural and eventually DS was born at 8:30pm via cat1 EMCS

Hopefully not only will this time be quicker but it’ll be smoother too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back