Was your 2nd Labour Easier/Shorter?

ButterflyBoo_x

Reaction score
Hi All!
Those who have 2 or more babies, was your 2nd labour easier/shorter than your first.

My first he was back to back, and was delivered by forceps, with a 16hour labour. i'm hoping for a easier labour this time! how did yours compare? was there anything you did different 2nd time round? x

My first was also back to back, but luckily I didn,t need any intervention. I was in labour for 13 hours and had a second degree tear. I also had my waters broken, rather than letting them go on their own.

The second time I knew was in labour for just under 5 hours, it started at 1 30 in the morning and I was already 6cm when I got to the hosp at about 1 45, so I,d slept through half of it!! I had a hands off water birth and it was brilliant, the water was very relaxing and coz it was hands off it ment the midwives left me too it apart from regular heartbeat checks. When he was born I got to cuddle him untill the placenta was ready to come out which I prefer, the first time I was given the injection to deliver it which I didn't want but at the time I didn't know I didn't have to have it. Owen was lying normally and I didn't have any tears or grazes which I was worried about. Over all it was a much better experience.
I,m defo going for another water birth if the pools are available.

Last edited:
Hi All!
Those who have 2 or more babies, was your 2nd labour easier/shorter than your first.

My first he was back to back, and was delivered by forceps, with a 16hour labour. i'm hoping for a easier labour this time! how did yours compare? was there anything you did different 2nd time round? x

My first was 31 hour labour, but my second was back to back with forcep delivery and 30 hour labour. Different for everyone.

My first was 7 hours and my second was just 2hrs and 45 mins! xx

Last edited:
My first was 5hrs and 55mins in established labour and second was 6hrs 5mins, my second was definitely harder than my first x x

My first was 5hrs and 55mins in established labour and second was 6hrs 5mins, my second was definitely harder than my first x x

I agree with you, my second was harder than my first.

My first was 3 days in slow labour at three cms 8 hours established labour and was very very rough . My second labour was 46 mins long and was a breeze :)

My first labour was terrible. LO's heart stopped beating & they thot we would lose her, was prepared for section but her heart started again & she was born normally. Was 10 1/2 hours from the start of induction (which was waters being broke & put on drip)

Second was easier but longer, had contractions for 4 days & at the pushing stage it only took about 30mins. LO was born 40mins after us leaving 2 go to hosp.

All in all second was better.

:)

Each of my births have got easier (overall, I had some probs with this one, lost all my waters without knowing and hb was dropping every contraction for 3days and I didn't know.. Was induced in the end and had an epi) and faster.. 13,7,4hrs..
Second was back to back..so much more painful.. But with no waters the first contractions were like almost at the end kind of pain! With my second I was more mobile where as with my first I stayed on the bed.. Gravity helps :)

My sisters first she needed forceps and had a traumatic time, she was 7.2lb.. Her second was much better (I watched while 30w preg lol) she was in the pool etc jut as she had been with her first.. She panicked alot that he would be the same as her daughters birth but it was fine! And he was 8.8lb! And mw said his head was as big as they get! He's still massive only 17w and growing out of his 6mos clothes!

Every labour is different babe don't worry.. Just relax and let your body do what it has to.. The fact you've done it all before will give you the confidence that u can do it no matter what and you know what to expect.. With your first there's alot of panic with the 'unknown'

After my second I swore I'd never have any more and as soon as I got my bfp (unexpected!! And really at the wrong time) my first thought was omg I have to give birth again!! But I'd do it all again tomorrow!!

Also my girls got smaller.. 7.6, 7.5 and 7.4! 5,3,4days early too..

Thanks everyone for your answers! :D J Was 6lb13.5 so around that weight again would be nice.
Managed 6cm's at home before any pain relief so hoping i can do same again, and hopefully can get in a water birthing room and have baby in the pool. fingers crossed its shorter than last time with no assistance :) xx

Thanks everyone for your answers! :D J Was 6lb13.5 so around that weight again would be nice.
Managed 6cm's at home before any pain relief so hoping i can do same again, and hopefully can get in a water birthing room and have baby in the pool. fingers crossed its shorter than last time with no assistance :) xx

Spent the last few hours of my 2nd birth in birthing pool and it was amazing.
Really helps with the pain, felt the difference the minute i came out it.

First was 4 hours and second was 1 1/2 and easier, I wouldn't have known I was in labour with my second until last few mins apart from my waters breaking but he was early and smaller than my first.

My first was 9 hours and my second was 2hours 49 mins! First I had epidural, second I had a tiny bit of gas and air at the end :) xx

my 1st i got 2 9 an a half cms at home then went to hosp an took 13 hours to get 2 10 had him naturally although tore an he was 8lbs 9. this time got 2 6 cms at home then went in took nearly 20 hours 2 get 2 10 cms he got stuck they had 2 cut me turned in 2 an emergency situation cos he wouldnt come out the cord was pulled an the room filled wiv 13 docs etc i passed out as my pulse was dangerously high an he was born not breathing took ages to recussitate him they were close 2 giving up an he was 10 lbs 2!!!! hes fine now

My first was 23 hours 0cm - birth and my second although I kept stop starting was much easier no pain relief and was 5hours no time for hospital as progressed too quickly as went from not very painful too wanting to push. Much easier b quicker second time round x

I was wondering this myself as my first labour was relatively 'easy' as i was 5cm when we got to hospital and i hadnt even known i was contracting! 4.5 Hours to get her out from geting waters broken at 6cm. Im worried that it'll go too quick for me to get to hospital or i'll be at home alone with my LO this time around =/ x

Have you looked into a home birth? It might put your mind at ease with a homebirth plan x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back