Scratch Mitts Question

Mildly

Reaction score
How long do babies wear scratch mitts for? Is it just until you cut their nails for the first time? I got an ebay bundle of about 10 pairs of scratch mitts but I'm wondering whether I'll actually need all of them.

Some people find they don't like them at all but we found them to be a godsend and Clark was still wearing them to sleep at about 5 months! It all depends on your LO, some babies struggle to keep them on.

Caitlyn does still wear them sometimes, you will get thru them though hunni, Caitlyns didnt fit her and we had to sellotape them on, you could see just how dirty they were, she does still scratch her self now, but her arm movements are alot more co-ordinated than they used to be

you will need loads lol they always go missing, thomas still wears them now sometimes as he suffers from ice-cold hands so they keep them warm lol
i cut his finger nails 2 days after he was brn but they grow back quick, hes never really been a face stratcher so dont have to wear them for that reason but some babies do stratch alot so the need them on to protect there skin even if you cut there nails :)
hope that helps
xx

I got given scratch mitts but i have never used them.

I have a few pairs but never used them. Never needed to. Find them to be a pain and so didn't bother.

We got sleepsuits with turnover cuffs (Next sell them) that could cover his hands if we wanted but I didn't bother with them much either. Used to use the turnover option when it was cold and I wanted to keep his hands warm, never to stop him scratching.

He's had a few little scratches on his face since birth but tbh nothing to worry about.

I nibble his nails down when he sleeps usually.

She likes to have her fingers spread so i generally dont put them on Tally, shes only worn them when its ben cold to keep hands warm so atm they're useless, she only scratches herself when she gets wound up wanting food but as her nails are freshly filed down she cant scrath atm

I got given loads, but i only used them on cold nights to keep her cold hands warm.

Thanks ladies :D Sounds like it depends on your baby, well at least I am prepared (and they didn't cost the earth being ebay bargains :cheer: )!

i had loads and never used them cos connor would flap his hands til they came off :roll: he ended up with a few scratches on his face, but they soon healed.

Callum just pulls shakes them off
Always has
Dont bother anymore

We were bought loads and just didn't use them. Mainly because she just didn't scratch herself.

I guess it just depends on the baby!

Oliver still wears them, he scratches at his face a lot when he's tired and cuts his face/pokes his eyes badly if he doesn't wear them.

neither of my kids took to scratch mitts. Lydia used to suck on hers so within minutes they would be sopping wet and need changing, and Alex's just used to come off all the time, so I gave up with both of them after 2 days.

Bought a few pairs before Louis was born but never used them,,, his hands have never been particularly cold and he has never scratched his face,,, so no need for the mitts :)

I had some but didn't use them as they fell off all the time but the Hayden scratched his nose in his sleep and it
was bleeding- it upset me and his nails were too soft to bite/too small to cut! so i had the idea of using socks instead
they stayed on :) only used them sometimes but it just depends on your baby- some babies scratch themselves and some don't- some prem babies get cold hands easily- its up to you :)

LO has always liked to have her hands free so they were off within seconds. Never really had a major problem with her scratching herself so never tried to use them for any length of time.

Some babygros, like the ones from Next have them built in!

You can turn the cuffs of the babygro down over the hand so that they form a scratch mitt, very handy. I found that mitts just kept falling off. They can get some big scratches though if you don't use them.

I used them all the time with all my 3 and probably will this time but a lot of them are rubbish and fly off! I remember I had to find which ones stayed on and stocked up on them! Sometimes we used socks too! lol (if we lost ones that stayed on and we couldnt get more for whatever reason)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back