• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scan at 15 weeks??

Allie_B

Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie so be gentle with me :D

I'm nine weeks pregnant with my first :bump:
Last year I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks and admit this time we are terrified, even more so that I'm 43 years old in Sept this year.

I had my first MW appointment last week and all went well. Very nice lady and very helpful.

Just this morning I've received an appointment for a scan on the 8th August. That means I'll be 15 weeks pregnant by then and not sure if I can cope with the worry for that long.
My hubby (bless him) is doing his best to reassure me that they mustn't be worried and is the reason for a later scan, but I can't help think they are just leaving it longer to see if i miscarry (irrational I know)

Can I ring the MW or hospital and insist on an earlier scan?
My hubby has private medical through his job that also covers me, he'll inquire on that front Monday morning.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks,
Allie
:wink:

Last edited:
Hi Allie, yey and fingers crossed for this pregnancy, welcome to PF! There is an older mum's thread on the pregnancy chat thread if you haven't seen it and want some support from there! I would def push for an earlier scan, I tried our private insurance and it didn't cover anything to do with pregnancy :(. I considered and many of the others girls have had private scans arranged themselves (costs vary but in the region of £100 ish I think), might be worth it if you can afford it and are worried, esp if hosp isn't much help! Good luck and looking forward to hearing more about you! xx

Hi there,
Thanks so much for your reply x x
Will see what MW and hospital say on Monday. OH says if I want to go get an earlier scan private somewhere then that's no problem.
Will keep this little thread updated.

Also thanks for the older mum thread tip, have made a reply over there.
Thanks again, much appreciated.

Allie
xx

Hi Allie, yey and fingers crossed for this pregnancy, welcome to PF! There is an older mum's thread on the pregnancy chat thread if you haven't seen it and want some support from there! I would def push for an earlier scan, I tried our private insurance and it didn't cover anything to do with pregnancy :(. I considered and many of the others girls have had private scans arranged themselves (costs vary but in the region of £100 ish I think), might be worth it if you can afford it and are worried, esp if hosp isn't much help! Good luck and looking forward to hearing more about you! xx

Hi Allie

I'm almost 41 and hoping this will be my first!!

I am suprised your scan is that late as things like nuchal measure and CVS tend to be in the 11 - 13 week range.

Have a word with your midwife she may be able to bring it forward.

I think 'terrified' seems to be the normal status in Tri 1 :hug:

xx

I would ring midwife! Like cazza says most of the tests need to be done between 11and 13 weeks.

Welcome to the forums and congrats! It does seem a bit late, esp as you mc before and the nuchal screening is done between 11-13 weeks, which is obviously quite important for us older mums. I would ring and explain to them you want an earlier scan hopefully they will be able to squeeze you in somewhere.

Hi everyone.
Really, thanks for all your replies.
I'll ring the MW tomorrow and see if she can move me forward.
You're right there Cazza, terrified doesn't cover it really.

Allie
xx

As everybody else here has said, I would try and get the scan moved forward, especially if you want the nuchal scan done. If you just want the dating scan, I suppose it is less crucial to have it earlier, although important for peace of mind. With my first, I had my dating scan at 16 weeks (although I was only 26 at the time, so I don't think it's to do with age), and the good thing about that is that you see so much more than on the earlier scan. But still, it is very difficult to wait for such a long time without any reassurance that everything is fine. I had a private scan at 6 weeks as well because I was so worried, it cost just under £100 and was very reassuring, although by now I am freaking out again...

Last edited:
Hi ladies, so sorry for late reply. Been on my hols and then busy back at work.
Turns out the appointment given for around 15 weeks is an appointment with a consultant, just because I'm an older mum.

Just had dating scan today, seen the little one kicking and squirming around, heart beat and so on. Amazing, me, my OH and my mum-in-law were lost for words.
I'm 12 weeks + 2 days, due date is 28th January.
Also had the nuchal translucency check, which measured 1.7mm and a blood test.
We'll hear in a few days of the risk. Fingers crossed.

It all seems so real now, we can start buying stuff. Woohoo.

Allie,
xx

Ooops, sorry I forgot to show a piccie,

12weekscan.jpg

thats good it didnt sound right that you would need to wait that long. Its something else isnt it when you see them moving around you just cant believe it. Congrats hun hope all your tests come back low risk

Aww, How lovely.
I was reading the top then thinking thats a long time to wait.
Glad your scan went well. x

Another January baby :) Glad that everything is fine :) Lovely scan photo... xx

hi girls,
Just received the letter from the hospital today regarding the scan results.

Low risk for Down's and no further investigation is required :dance:

So so so relieved. Been on a knife edge all week.
And with that, I'm off to Tri-2 as I'm 13 weeks today. :wave::wave:

Allie,
xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen