Dating Scan

cfw1981

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site....
I found out I am pregnant last week but unsure how many weeks I am. This is my first pregnancy too.

I have seen my GP and referred myself to my local hospital and I received a letter over the weekend for a dating scan. Is this just a scan to confirm how many weeks I am? And will I still have a scan at 12 weeks?

I think I am probably about 8 weeks at the moment.

xxxxxxx

Hi,

Massive congrats on your BFP!

The dating scan is the 12 week scan (well I know mine is anyways!) - when is you're scan? It will confirm your due date based on the baby's measurements as the GP only gives you an estimate based on the first day of your last period.

xx

Thanks for your reply.

My scan is this saturday, I wasnt sure whether it was too early.
I did say on my referral form that I was unsure of when my last period was, but I still received the letter for the scan.

I'm slightly confused as you can imagine!!! xxxx

Your most likely get to go back again if it is to early to see much they may also try an internal scan ,but either way you should know something by the end of it and you may get to see your tiny bub ,how exciting, I wish you all the best congratulations . xx

Normally they do the dating scan and the Nuchal testing together at 12w and you see the midwife before or on the day for your booking in appointment. If you don't know how long you've been pregnant (they usually date provisionally from last period, but this is difficult if you are very irregular), a scan is probably the only way to tell. The Nuchal scan has to be between 11 and 14 weeks though, so if you do turn out to be 8 weeks, if you want the Nuchal scan you will need another around 12 weeks.

Personally I would ring the department who sent the letter and just check what their plan is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back