Early scan...

Luckybean27

Reaction score
...anyone had one?

Before I was pregnant I always said that I would have an early scan at around 8 weeks.
now I am here I can't decide what to do.

I think I am scared that I won't see anything and I have imagined my bfp! and because I still can not believe I am pregnant I am not dying to tell anyone so feel I can wait till 12 weeks. (even though would still wait until 12 weeks till I did tell anyone if I did have an early scan) But the other part of me wants to know so badly that everything is ok and that there really is my lucky bean is there.

Any words or wisdom or advice would be greatly received xxx

I feel exactly the same!! I have booked an early scan for 31st October (I will be nearly 8 weeks by then) but I am soooo scared that when I get there, there will be no baby and that I have imagined the whole thing! Quite ridiculous as I have had 2 BFPs and I have some symptoms and no AF for 6 weeks, so I do know that I am pregnant, I just won't believe it until I see it!

I say book the early scan, mine only costs £50 and it will put your mind at ease :) xxxx

upto you hun but the later you leave your scan the more you will see as the baby has had time to develop x I haven't had an early scan as I have never had a MC. I had my first scan with my son at 13 weeks and was put back a few days but it was lovely to see a little baba floating about in there x

I was (almost) talked out of an early scan by my midwife.

I explained to her that I was really worried about things after having a miscarriage. She said to me that the scan will reassure you for a day and then you will be worried again. She also said that it could still go wrong after that and how would you feel about that if you had already seen your baby?

I had a scan at 10+2 anyway because I was going on holiday 2 days after my 12 week scan. I didn't want to get to the 12 week scan and find out that I had a MMC or blighted ovum or something and have to pass the pregnancy whilst on holiday. If I wasn't going away I would have not bothered with the early scan. I was a bag of nerves before my 10 week scan, seriously. I was in a right state. And then again at my 12 week scan I was a wreck as well. Hubby was cross because if we hadn't had the early scan I wouldn't have been in a state twice.

Tri 1 is just an awful waiting game really. The chances of something going wrong decrease massively after 12 weeks. I got through it by taking each day at a time and as long as I didn't have any signs telling me otherwise like bleeding etc to trust in my body to do its job.

Hang in there hun x

Also, if you have a scan at 8 weeks you might not see what you are expecting and they might say come back in 2 weeks. I have been in this situation, it is not pleasant.

If you are going to have an early scan, I'd wait as long as possible.

i had to have an early scan at 6 weeks and there wasnt much to see plus i have to be rescanned next week at 8 weeks to check baby is doing ok, am absolutely bricking it, as much as i loved seeing it at 6 weeks it does make you feel more attached if something was to happen x

I had one cos I had no idea how far along I was....turned out I was 9+3 and baby looked like a bald hamster lmao.

It's up to you sweetheart, it's your pregnancy and some people find a lot of comfort in seeing it, others just panic even more. You do what feels right for you xxxxxxxxxxx

(Oh and being pregnant means you can change your mind whenever you want with no explanation what so ever)

i had an early scan at 6 + 4 days which i hadnt planned on having. What i saw was the smallest thing ever nothing that resembled a baby but he/she did have a very faint heartbeat nothing u could hear but u could slightly see the little sac just pulsating. I dont see anything wrong with having an early scan if thats what someone wants then why not its your baby ! Plus i will say if its an internal scan they arent the most pleasant of things :)
xxx

Thanks all, really good advice. Still haven't decided what to do but this really has helped, xx

Hi Hun I had a scan at 7 weeks and saw the flicker of a hb :) it really did reassure me BUT I then had brown discharge in week 8 so my reassurance only lasted one week :( me being me then booked in for another private scan at 8 +3 and all was well. They both served a purpose to me but don't expect all the worry to go away!!
I've attached scans at 7, 8 and 12 for you to see the difference :) xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319093585.109349.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319093585.109349.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 7
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319093686.194149.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319093686.194149.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 8
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319093729.057622.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319093729.057622.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 10
Wow sue those pics are amazing. I really want an early scan too was thinking 8-9 weeks. :) hoping I can get one done by the epu but I know they could say no. I'm not sure I could go to 11 weeks again not knowing what was going on xx

Hi,

We had an early scan at what turned out to be 7 weeks +6days. It was amazing! I was so worried there would be something wrong, and really wanted to have it done just to put my mind at rest for the next 5/6 weeks until our 12 week NHS scan. It honestly was the best £70 I spent. Just seeing our little beanie on the screen with their heart pumping away was amazing.

TORino is right though, you still worry! I have my 12 week scan on 3 November (when I'll be 12 weeks +4days according to our early scan) and I'm counting the days now...and then I'm sure I'll be the same leading up to our 20 week scan too!

I would say go for it if you want your mind put at rest, even if just for a few weeks.
x

I'm desperate to have an early scan but so scared something will happen after it!! I'm thinking of having one done on the 5th november (9weeks) hubs said we will book it few days before if all is ok!
I'm still waiting for my nhs scan date to come through for the 12 week one. Last time the mw sent it without me seeing her so hope she does the same. If it's before the 25th November we may wait but my folks get back from Thailand (they live out there) on the 27th November so want them to see a pic as we are not telling them until they come home xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back