Sacral Dimple + Spina Bifida? - Pic Added

Momma`Kat

Reaction score
Alanna has one of these dimple things on her back.. Forgot to mention it to the health visitor (whos says she is developing fine) but looked it up..

Now for the issue of the dimple at the base of the spine, also known as a sacral dimple or the fancier term, “coccygeal pit” — these are also almost always innocent and not related to Spina Bifida providing ALL of the following are true:
  1. The dimple or pit is located within the crease between the two buttocks (also called the natal cleft or gluteal cleft).
  2. The dimple is within 1 inch of the anus and is not bigger than ¼ inch in size.
  3. The base of the dimple can be seen.
  4. There is no hair, skin color change, blood vessels (telangiectasias), or blood vessel tumors (hemangiomas) around the spine.
  5. There is no fatty mass felt under the skin.
  6. The buttocks crease (gluteal cleft) is straight.
  7. There are no abnormal neurologic findings on exam (i.e. weak legs, abnormal reflexes)
If ALL of these statements are true, then the baby can be followed. Quite rarely, the dimple itself can grow a hair or become infected, which would need further evaluation. Otherwise, nothing needs to be done, and problems are so infrequent that a preventive surgery is not advised.
Now if ANY of the above statements are not true or there are dimples higher up on the back (above the buttocks crease), further testing is advised. [/quote]

Now the first two.. Dont apply to her.. Does anyone else baby have one?

Last edited:
Im sure they would have picked it up in the hospital, but if you are worried I would get it checked out

When I next change her i will get a picture of it.. Im sure its nothing as it isnt directly on the spine. but still cant help thinking Lol I cant believe i forgot to ask the HV.

edit : pic, its a bit blurry , had to use my phone.

Attachments

• Sacral Dimple.jpg
    Sacral Dimple.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
H i think has one of these but it's right above the crease in the middle!! Noones ever said anything about it to me!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back