Sacral dimple

Lou

Reaction score
Hey

Just wanted to know if any of you or your babies have a sacral dimple? I have spina bifida occulta and Isaac was born with a sacral dimple. After Isaac was born my boyfriend told me I also have a sacral dimple but he had never mentioned it to me and even my mum didn't know I had one!!

Isaac had a spinal scan and he got the all clear but I wanted to know how common this is and if any of you have it?

( if you haven't heard of it it is an indentation at the base of your spine which is usually harmless but can be an indication of spina bifida)

Lou

sorry i dont know if u r worried ask ur HV or GP. i hope he is all ok tho

sarah and braydon x x

Hi sarah

No i'm not worried I was just asking out of interest. Thanks for replying though :)

Lou

Alex has one (we like to call it his second bum) - the paediatrician that checked him over when he was discharged didn't know what it was and had to call in her senior. She said to us that as she could see the base of the dimple, his legs were strong, she was happy for Alex to be discharged without any further tests.

When I first noticed it in my dosed morphine state, it was really deep, and I thought it was a second bum hole and we'd have two lots of poo to clean up :? :shock: The base of it has come to the surface more as he's grown and laid some fat down so it doesn't look quite as scary.

I don't have one, but I have a deviation (which I didn't know about until Callums paed looked) which is related. Callum also has a deviation, hairy birth mark and had ante-natal ventriculomegaly, after loads of scans and tests he was given the all clear. It's probably really common, but one of those things that nobody ever mentions - I'll let you be the first to stand in the supermarket asking to see peoples bums :wink:

Tracy xx

Hi Tracy

Yeah we call Isaac's his second bum too! How weird though that we never knew we had it ourselves!?! And I'd been for genetic counselling and been examined. I only found out I had it after reading my own medical records a few years ago. They never told me because they see it as insignificant! Apparently a huge chunk of the population have spina bifida occulta wthout ever knowing!

Isaac is having his hips scanned in a week or so because I have clicky hips. They found my spina bifida occulta when they scanned my hips when I was 13 because they were hurting me when they clicked. I have abnormal shaped hip sockets but they don't hurt me anymore and I gave birth naturally so I'm sure Isaac's hips will be fine.

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back