Right or Wrong?

Krystal

Reaction score
I have seen this discussed elsewhere and wondered what you guys thought...

Clicky

Poor Chou Chou doll is not feeling very well, she is crying and her cheeks have gone red. Make her better by taking her temperature with the thermometer. Give her medicine from her spoon and she will make drinking sounds. Listen and actually hear her heart beat. Soon she will feel better and laugh. She also has a pink bruise which disappears and reappears.

The parts highlighted above seems to be what people have an issue with. The doll is too young to have a bruise and people seem concerned it could cause kids to bruise each other in order to apply the 'magic plaster' and it teaches children how to give medicine when we should be teaching them to keep away from medicine.

Anyway I haven't made my mind up, I can see the points people are making but at the same time I think jeez it's only a doll.

What do you think?

i have had an issue with this doll frm the day i first saw it on tv and thought it was sick that a baby would have bruises and that a child had to make better :shock:

It's wrong in a way but then little kids wouldn't understand what is wrong and would just want to play 'mummy' to the baby...

:think:

Exactly a child wouldn't understand, it's our job to teach them right from wrong etc and surely we shouldn't be teaching them to give medicine to a baby? Maybe if their friends have rosy cheeks or something they might think oooh i'll give her/him some medicine cos it works on my doll. Thats similar point that was made and I kinda agree :?

i can see both arguments but my opinion is that its a doll, my daughter pretends to give her dolls medicine and puts plasters on them because thats what i do to her and her sister and her dolls arent specifically for that it just comes natural when playing the roll of a mother. she wouldnt give a child medicine because i have told her that only adults give medicine and she understands dolls are pretend etc. i think it depends on age of child you are giving doll to really, my DD1 is 5yrs and she treats her dolls like that anyway.

i think the bruise is a buit uncalled for as babies dont normally have bruises but tthey do get scratches and nicks so could need plasters, or when they have needles they have plasters so children do see babies with plasters on but i think the bruise is uncalled for really.

its just role play at the end of the day and they are playing mummy making baby better, my dd also has nurse sets with syrings and medicine and bandages but she knows she should never go near medicine in reality, its just pretend, and its our role as parents to teach them the difference between this.

xxxxx

I put its fine its only a doll.

I'm sorry but things like this kick up a fuss all over nothing, i used to play with dolls with my sister and when we fell out the first thing i did was to throw her doll downstairs head first, it doesn't mean that i would then go ahead and throw my own child or someone else downstairs head first.

Its imaginative play thats all, make believe.
Its up to the parents to tell the children what is right and wrong, but all they want to do is play with their dolly.

Its only a doll.

Childrens imaginations are way better than any toy an adult can dream up for them.

If they want to give there doll medicine it will be a drink from a cup.

If they want to play with guns they will pick up a stick and go bang bang.

chickadee1976 said:
Its only a doll.

Childrens imaginations are way better than any toy an adult can dream up for them.

If they want to give there doll medicine it will be a drink from a cup.

If they want to play with guns they will pick up a stick and go bang bang.

my OHs younger brothers are 10 and 7 and they have full size deactivated (right word?) ex-military machine guns that they got given for Xmas... :oops: They play out in the garden in full army gear for hours with them an I think that it's nicer to see boys 'being boys' than holed up inside on a playstation like my little brother :roll: (11)

I don't really agree with it BUT they know that guns are what soldiers use- not something you would use to kill someone. I can't explain it but the way they've been bought up tells them that shooting someone is wrong- no toy guns/violent video games are going to convince them that they can shoot someone.

I had a doctors set when I was a kid with syringes in! :shhh:

I dont agree with it, a baby feeding another baby (the doll) medicine and also it shows a bruise, it promotes totally the wrong message! Say for instance a parent accidently left medicine on the side whilst doing something else, say the child wanted to feed its doll it and then have some itself, may sound very unrealistic but I'm sure it could/has happen/ed, and a bruise, why?...its not needed!

I think its wrong... I know I wouldnt let my kid have it. However I can see both sides.. I still dont like the idea of it. So I voted 'its wrong'.

I could see it being useful for children who are ill or are going into hospital maybe? I think sometimes as adults we see wrong in childrens toys and play whereas they don't see it the way we do, I don't think it would harm a child but maybe how we reacted to it would :think: Personally I wouldn't buy it for any child.

i voted both arguments as i can see everyones point of view. however, i would definately not buy it. think the bruise is totally uncalled for and its not nice to have a 'poorly' baby so wouldnt want Ami giving her dolly medicine anyway.

I put it's only a doll. As others have said it's only pretend and parents should teach their children the difference. I had a nurse's kit when I was younger with syringes/blood pressure cuff and pill bottles but all the real medicine was kept out of my reach by my mum and dad as it should be and like kimmumof2 said I knew that it was only pretend and would never have given medicine to a real baby. It's important for children to engage in imaginative play some of the time and not just have all structured games.

Well if that doll sends a bad message... what message does this doll send??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eilatan/150046632/ (I LURVE some of the comments :rotfl:)

Tbh gimme chocolate... :rotfl:

Nah... girls play act with dolls all the time, and they will re-enact ANYTHING that they see mum and dad do... Its not the doll that gives out the wrong signals... Because I have to take a lot of meds I have had to be quite regimented in explaining medicines to Tia... and she is very good about medicines... even her vitimins which she can take her self, she will still come and ask me what dosage she should take.

I think the doll's expensive IMO for what it is... but I'd much rather buy that then the current favorites in our house Bratz dolls :roll: which really DO send totally the wrong message... :shock:

And babies can have bruises and not because of bad parenting :( ... lil miss' hands were black and blue when she left hospital from all her blood tests for over two weeks... :( and she got one after her jabs.. and mummy kissed it better. :D Tia thought it was hilarious

I put gimme chocolate!

I havent seen the doll advertised, but going through it i have decided to sit on the fence for this one.

At the end of the days its a doll, if people dont like it then just dont buy it your child simple as, then they wont get wrong messages. That barbies hillarious :rotfl:

I cans see both arguments.
First thing that went through my mind was "who punched you, chou chou doll??"
but then it's only a toy so i think it was blown out of proportion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back