Rhesus negative- having bleeding/discharge

Ragdoll

Reaction score
I've had no bleeding etc throughout the whole pregnancy( I'm 15 weeks tomorrow) . On Tuesday in the morning when I wiped I had watery maroon blood , so I went to A&E. I had a cervical exam which they said was fine, some mucus with red patches came away on the speculum. I also had an ultrasound and everything was good with baby. What is bothering me is I was only informed that day that I'm rhesus negative and they gave me an anti d injection. Surely having had treatment (IUI and IVF) they would have mentioned the complications? I'm still intermittently bleeding/ discharging. Today it is a light brown and is watery, the midwife said if it's the same tomorrow I'm to go back to hospital. The midwife said the initial bleed could be because I had intercourse on Sunday, so I'm to abstain for now.

Has anybody else experienced bleeding/this sort of discharge? Was everything okay? I'm worried that even though I'm in the second trimester I could still lose the baby and that it will be my fault. I'm sure I'm panicking over nothing but it's taken me so long to get pregnant I'm overly worried something is going wrong.

Hey Hun I am rhesus negative and I have bled constantly throughout the whole of the first trimester from 5 weeks! Bright red and sometimes enough to cover a pad. I also had the same with my other pregnancy and bled until 16 weeks on and off. They said if I bleed in the second trimester then I would need anti d injection. This is an ivf pregnancy too. They never seem that concerned about the bleeding and can never see it on the scan! It's scar seeing blood though and it does put you on edge I know.. But it does not always mean anything bad is going to happen, I have bled loads!! Xx

I'm rhesus negative too and I had a couple of bleeds with my first baby - 12 weeks, 19 weeks and 26 weeks. I was given an injection each time. Now she's two and fast asleep upstairs.
Try not to worry, they can check your blood for antibodies if you're really worried x

Thank you ladies that is really reassuring. The hospital have booked me for another scan Tuesday 1st Nov . I think I panicked more because I had no idea I was rhesus negative , that along with worry about my father in law also, he has terminal cancer. Very on edge in general right now. I know it's not good and I'm doing my best to relax and stay calm.

Did you both know your blood type before conceiving or were you told later down the line?

Thank you ladies that is really reassuring. The hospital have booked me for another scan Tuesday 1st Nov . I think I panicked more because I had no idea I was rhesus negative , that along with worry about my father in law also, he has terminal cancer. Very on edge in general right now. I know it's not good and I'm doing my best to relax and stay calm.

Did you both know your blood type before conceiving or were you told later down the line?

No I didn't know until after 12 weeks with my first baby after my booking in bloods. I obviously know now so if I continue to bleed will ring them about having an anti d injection.

I am not surprised you are on edge HUN you have a lot going on :( don't worry I was really anxious with my first baby and I am worse with this one and my first baby was always fine, everyone says relax but life is not like that and you can't always relax, you feel how you feel but your baby will be fine as long as you eat and sleep and rest when needed xxx please don't worry about having to be relaxed x

I did know because I donate blood but I had no idea what it meant during pregnancy x

I was told I was negative in my 1st pregnancy. It turned out it was a lab error but didn't know that until later. I did loads of research about it. I had spotting at 7 weeks and bleeding under the placenta which showed on my scan at 13 weeks. I was never offered an injection so was concerned about it. It seems early in pregnancy you don't need an injection even if you have bleeding. That is because the baby is so tiny the chance of its blood getting into yours is extremely remote. Different doctors take a different approach as to when to give injections and many prefer to be overly cautious. By 15 weeks the baby is a bit bigger so it makes sense you would get one then. The injection is to stop your body developing antibodies. As long as you don't develop antibodies there is no risk to having negative blood and its just like a normal pregnancy. They will test a couple times during pregnancy for antibodies and if they are found they will monitor it carefully. If the levels get too high then it can cause problems for the baby. The good thing is that even in the unlikely event you do develop antibodies it is unlikely for your levels to get high enough during this pregnancy to cause any big problems for your baby. The most the baby is likely to need is treatment for mild jaundice at birth. Once you have the antibodies the levels get higher with each pregnancy so the biggest worry would be for future pregnancies. Although there are still some women who go on to have several babies without the levels getting to dangerous levels.

Last edited:
Glad it's not just me Cjj ! Trouble is that there are that many things that can go wrong you don't want to read about them all !

Thanks BunnyN that's useful to know x

On an update note , definitely improving- very watery pale brown discharge now in small amounts. Think it's on it's way out !

Glad it's improving. Bleeding is always a worry.

It is , I'm sure I'll handle it better if it happens again. Just ready to get back to enjoying being pregnant !

Thankfully all was well and bleeding stopped. Feeling much better now !

Thanks for the update. I am glad things are looking okay.

Thanks again for the advice ! More prepared for if it happens again !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back