Reusing a mattress in cot.

ss79

Reaction score
We bought a 2nd hand travel cot today. It has a small piece of foam built in but they also gave us the mattress with it they had been using to make it extra comfy.

The mattress has been used every now and then when they go on hols for the last 3 years. Its perfectly clean but I'm still a bit wary as I've heard you should always buy new.

Any thoughts on reusing a mattress for a cot/travel cot, would you do it with your baby?

Thanks.

Wondering how they packed it up small to travel with the extra mattress, sounds bulky?

Travel cots are never very plush to sleep on longer term as for ocassional use and so useally okay with just what they come with.

I would probably wash /clean it up thoroughly, and use without extra mattress myself.

I am re-using a cot bed with the mattress it came with, has been used for 4 babies in their first years only (not mine) before my new baby used it. I know both families really well and both are non smoking , and the top of it is a washable zip on topper, so I washed it, so happy to re-use.

Really depends on you tho

Last edited:
If you have any doubts at all hun I would just buy a new one - I got mine for just under £30 but think I could probably have gotten it cheaper on ebay only didn't think at the time.

I plan to put the petite travel cot downstairs instead of a moses basket (i don't know why but I hate moses baskets!) and have bought the normal sized travel cot for our bedroom. They are fab! Baby has so much room which i think is good training for when baby is moved to cot x

My opinion, I would replace the mattress, especially as it is someone elses 2nd hand goods, I am reusing my 1st babies mattress but its a cot bed mattress and was only used for about 6-7 months, but I definitely wouldnt use someone elses used mattress, also they are quite cheap to buy new... (I actually do have cot death in my family, so just wouldnt risk it hun, its not worth it)...
Siany1982

thanks everyone. I will get a new one rather than risk it. I don't know the history of it other than what they told me but would rather be extra safe. xx

tbh the whole travel cot brand new is £20 in the asda event all the time so dont pay more than that as u cud buy the lot brand new! :) xxx

NO, like you said, Id get a new one hunni xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back