Advice on a "used" crib mattress.

Urchin

Reaction score
We used a rocking crib with my little boy, and still have the mattress. It has been stored well, and I have washed it in the washing machine today to have a close look at it.

All my family are saying to just air it outside a lot when it's dry and use it again, but I was wondering , would you?

I know there's been loads in the news about mattresses, but I'm sure in other countries babies get on fine on old mattresses, and even in boxes and on the floor in the third world.
Is it really worth me buying a brand new crib mattress?
(I chucked my cot matress so will have new one in a few months anyway)

Any advice please?

if its not got mould or signs of mildew then i see no reason why not mate

I think the biggest risk is using mattresses from other families. Apparently if it's from a family baby it's not too bad :?

WOuld have thought it would be OK. After all it's not like you would have used it for months and months nd months the first time. I think it's just matresses in cots that they advise new ones.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks guys. There's nothing wrong with it at all, and a new one would be an expense I don't really need this side of Christmas.
Looks like I'll be using it.

Hi Urchin

I can understand why you're in two minds whether to use the mattress or not, there's so much written about SIDS etc that it's hard to know what the actual risks are and what are the best preventative measures.

My mum had a moses type basket for my younger sister which was then used by my older sister for her baby boy and then by my sister in law for her baby girl (my younger sister is only 3 years older than her nieces/nephews).
All used the same mattress and washed it before using it each time.

Lucy
26 + 6

we were using a moses basket and to make it more cosy, alana slept on a folded up fleece, she loved it and we had no problems, now she sleeps in cot but still on her fleece folded up. i will remove it when she wriggles more.

i just think these days they make you worry to much and make u wrap ur babies in cotton wool. like sterlising bottles until they are 12 months lol when they start crawling they will put any thing in their mouth :roll:

i will be using mine again for mosses basket and cot, I think it maybe if you buy a second hand cot, crib etc then buy a new matress, just like with car seat's you don't know it's history

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back