reusable nappies

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
I have decieded that these are what i want to use. A friend has recommended motherease nappies to me but i have been looking around and they are so expensive. It costs £300 for a birth to potty pack which contains 20 nappies and everything you could need. i know it works out much cheaper in the long run (and greener etc) but it seem like an awful lot to shell out in one go, especially with everything else we're gonna have to buy.

Does anybody know any other (cheaper) brands?

Thanks

Little Lambs are probably the cheapest option for now but they are sized so you'd have to buy another lot later.

Motherease are birth to potty which is why they cost a bit more. I know it seems a lot but they do pay for themselves VERY quickly.

Beyond your weekly savings imagine how many quids in you'll be if you have more children. AND you can even sell second hand ones on Ebay and you'll get 50%+ back.

Lots of members here have used LL successfully but my vote goes to ME as their wraps in particular I found very reliable. Have fun picking! :D

i can not afford them out right so i am buying 2 a week, its slowly building up x x x

i got my little lamb birth to potty pack for £200, this is what it had in it:
40 shaped cotton nappies
40 washable fleecy liners
20 Littlelamb wraps
20 night time boosters
400 paper liners on two rolls
2 lidded nappy buckets

here is the link to it (you'll have to scroll down, its the one titled 'CLOTH NAPPY KIT A & C')
http://www.littlelamb.co.uk/itemlist.ph ... r=products

I used my sure start maternity grant to buy them
:D

Thanks for the input. Another thing is im quite miffed by all the different bits (im prob being really dumb) but my understanding is you have to use a liner then nappy then wrap. but some liners are fleece and some aare paper, do you use them both or pick your fave or what :think: :oops:

Each have their benefits.

Paper's good as you can throw/flush it and not touch much poo but fleece is nicer for the bottom as it stays dry and draws moisture away.

I use fleece (just buy some material and cut it up - pennies) and chuck them in the nappy bucket! :D

It depends on where you are anf if the service is available but here in Cardiff theres a nappy service where you get a weeks supply of clean re-usuable nappies delivered, then they come and collect them to wash and drop off a new batch. All you need to buy is the nappy bin to store them in, and any nappy covers you might want to use over the top. It costs around £20 a week but obviously depends on where you are if there is anything like this. I think its a fantastic service and I'll definitely be using it!

Maybe try a google on something like "*insert town here* nappy delivery service"

Hellokitty said:
dionne said:
i can not afford them out right so i am buying 2 a week, its slowly building up x x x

Same here! :D

i hadn't thought of doing that!

will do now though! cheers ladies

We've bought the bambino mio ones from John Lewis, and they were about £40 a pack. We've bought the newborn and the small sizes, which should last us a few months, and you can buy extra wraps as you need. We now have about 24 nappies, and I'm doing a wash every day or every other day. One of the problems I'm finding is that the packs only give you about 3 covers, and as the nappies can leak, you do need more than 3 covers, hence us buying more, which adds to the cost. Having said that, Debs does seem to poo an awful lot lol, but according to our HV breast fed babies do poo more lol. We're changing her nappies at every feed, sometimes twice, so we're getting through about 10 -12 nappies a day. When Debs is older we will need to buy bigger nappies which will probably be another outlay of about £80 (for two packs of 12 nappies, including 3 covers) plus any extra covers that we need. So in total birth to potty will have cost us about £200.

Thanks gingerpig, i think that makes more sense to spend £50 odd now and then as you go along rather that the whole lot in one go. thanks for that, im gonna have a look around now.

Thanks everyone for your answers :D

Hi TD!

This is a favourite subject of mine and one I've been reseraching for ages. We are lucky in that we live close to a real nappy agent who came round last Saturday morning with loads of different brands of cloth nappies and went through everything with us and this was fantastic and I had LOOOOADDDDS of questions.

Here is her website:-

www.purpur.co.uk

She recommended the Motherease wraps and Tots Bots nappies - using fleece liners (but she said paper were also good) with nappy nippers (not velcro). She recommended using rewashable wipes too. She also recommended using eco-disposables while out and about or for overnights.

I hope this is helpful - I am finding it so interesting making my decision and am really into this whole real nappy business!

Valentine xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back