Reusable nappies....

Rosieroo

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I felt really bad for planning on using disposable nappies, but in Take a Break the other day it said that the Environment Agency have confirmed that it is just as bad for the environment to use reusables because of the amount of energy used by washing them etc.

Don't feel so bad now, and gleefully told Fil this nugget of information as he was going on about us using reusables! :lol:

Hi

I read that too!!!! I was going to use both as I know you get £100 worth of resuable nappies for free from the government!!! but disposibles are much more convienant

Natalie x

Free reusable nappies from the government - how do you get them?!!!!

I think it's only as bad if you wash them at temps of around 60 degrees, if you soak them first and then do them at normal wash temps it is better for the environment. It's in response to a study that was funded by the main disposable nappy companies who obviously would rather we used their products. My Mum soaked and washed my nappies at 30 degrees apparently and they were fine so as long as you use an environmentally friendly soak and dry naturally as much as possible then it is still better for the environment.

+++

There is also a debate about the amount of polution to our water supply etc, due to the increase in washing!

Hi Lisa,

I got a booklet in my pregnancy pack from my midwife which gives vouchers for free nappies and £30 towards washing them over an 18mth period, ask your midwife about it, she should be able to get you the forms to complete, unfortunatley you cant get them until you send a copy of your baby's birth certificate so you wont have them straight away!!

Natalie x

I think its one of those things that both ways harm the environment but its whatever suits you. I'm hoping at the minute to use the re-usable ones as it is cheaper and due to the fact our bins are emptied every other week I need to keep down the rubbish. However I did look on the internet and I think I need a degree in engineering to know how to put it all together as it looks so complicated, and thats without the wriggling crying baby!!! So after about 2 days I'll probably be using disposables :lol: I hope they have a nappy changing class as part of my antenatal otherwise it'll be like that scene in 3 men and a baby (where the nappy falls off and the baby wees all over him). Has anyone used them, if so how did you find them? I have heard that there are more enviromentally friendly disposables but can't find out any info about them as I thought they might come in useful for when we are out and about etc??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back