Nappies

lulu

Reaction score
Hi,

I am debating at the moment what kind of nappies to use, terry's or disposable?

My partner likes the idea of Terry's due to the expense of disposables and the environment factor and I agree, the expense of buying nappies and just throwing them away kind of sounds mad to me especially as we will have to survive on just my partners income.
The easiness of disposables is also appealing but does that justify the cost and waste?

Any one have any advice?

Also, where can you buy terrys nappies, you dont see or hear of them these days.

Thanks, Lou x

Hi,

Im the same, but think im going with disposiable as i will be back at work after 6 months, could be to much work getting the terrys one washed etc for child minder! I think you can get them from the governament as they are trying to encourage it, maybe mothercare too!

Natalie x

that a good point about going back to work, maybe you could start with terrys and then change for convenience???

I want to start my nurse training next year, my partners mum has offered to child mind which is good as she only ever used terrys but I guess sometimes I will use the uni creche and disposables will be easier although I guess some other mums use terrys as well.

So much to think about!!!!

Hi lulu, I have debated this one as well, and after weighing things up have opted for diposable. Reasons being: we dont have a tumble dryer and cloth nappies take ages to dry so we would end up with years of nappies drying all round the house for days on end (which is the main thing that put me off) we looked into using a nappy laundering service but it would have all worked out more expensive than disposables. plus it is in depate whether it is even better on the environment after all as it pollutes the water supply and hormones can upset sea living creatures. and it takes a huge about of power to wash and dry nappies that you end up with higher electric bills, which is also harmfull to the environment.

If you are intersted in getting them though, there are alsorts of modern cloth nappies around now and a lot of manufactures will sell you a trial pack, so you can see what works best for you before commiting a large initial outlay to some that you may not find very good. Try looking in the ads in the back of pregnancy and baby magazines or online. there are some sites that give you rating on the different types and makes as to which are the best, as some are better for newboarns where as others are better for todlers etc.

Hope this helps!

Hiya

Well I havnt debated this one cos i know 100% that I will be using Disposables after having Five children. (at one time 3 were in nappies) However I think its great if you use Terrys, but its certainly not for me.

Dont get me wrong I am interested in our environment, I wish that they would stop putting the nappies in land fill sites and have incinerators or something else..?? I dont know enough about this though if im honest.

I also think that one other thing that Disposables is fantastic for is that you rarely get nappy rash, as it takes away the wee from the babys skin.

Think again its a personal thing, you can get some great terrys these days in bright colours and they cost around £7.50 each..and obviously you can use them again with other children.

But..Not for me.....

Ragna xxxxxxxxx

I read something the other day about the effect on the environment of different nappies. It said that there is no difference.......

Disposables may take years to biodegrade but use no power to do so.

Because we wash terry nappies at 95 degrees we are using so much power that it makes no difference.

Just what I read, so don't jump on me if its wrong!!! :wink:

I personally have worked with women who have used both.......I used pampers with my first two and will do again this time.

Kerry said:
I read something the other day about the effect on the environment of different nappies. It said that there is no difference.......

Disposables may take years to biodegrade but use no power to do so.

Because we wash terry nappies at 95 degrees we are using so much power that it makes no difference.

Just what I read, so don't jump on me if its wrong!!! :wink:

I personally have worked with women who have used both.......I used pampers with my first two and will do again this time.

I heard that too kerry, what with the chemicals in the washing stuff and the electric used to wash them they are all much of a much-ness.

Hi Lulu, terrys nappies are not cheap as they used to be as they don't come in one size any more you will have to keep buying different sizes and that becomes expensive. Anyway its only up to you at the end of the day :)

Hi Lulu, terrys nappies are not cheap as they used to be as they don't come in one size any more you will have to keep buying different sizes and that becomes expensive. Anyway its only up to you at the end of the day :)

Hi

I think evryone has this debate!

i recently got a leaflet through the door about the council operating a nappy washing service. They colect them once a week and wash and dry them for you. It costs £7 a week but not sure if its just a trial thing. sounds like heaven!

I use Desposibles,
I have noticed that lots of baby clothes now days arnt designed for clothnappies, so you end up having to buy bigger clothes to fit them in,

also if your having a winter baby cloth nappies can make the baby cold as the nappy is wet againts there skin, and of course it gets cold,

you have to change the baby about 3times as often as you would in a disposible,

and If your really worried about the envroment, the jelly stuff in the centre of the nappies can be put into your compost, as it will absorb water and help in the garden ( i read this is a baby mag)

Hi,

I read that report about the high washing temp of non-disposables too Kerry but when I checked out who had commissioned and paid for the report it turned out to be disposable nappy companies- you can't trust much these days! Also if you soak the nappies before washing you don't have to put them on a high temp. I've started buying bits on ebay (not new) since I'm not too fussed about them being new- I had fifth hand nappies myself!! They can be about a third of the price on there...

+++

Due to us being on one income i will be using mainly terrys but when out and about will use disposables so that i'm not carrying dirty terrys about with me, you can still get the terrys that are one size you just fold them differently to fit your growing baby, as for nappy rash everyone i know has used disposables and the babys have still got nappy rash. You can now get the ready folded terrys nappies but these would work out expensive as you would have to keep buying new to fit baby as he/she grows.

Hi Manda,

how are you? How's it going?Hope all is well.

+++

Hi Kerry I heard about the cost diffence between washing & Disposables, we will use disposables too, after washing all our clothes and baby clothes, will be fed up by nappy time we are also going to sort out our dryer (In the garage since moved house) so may help, we are lucky to have a wholesale place in the next town bulk nappy time!! will make them fit!! Hopefully our council will not change our bin day to every other week like on the estate! POOOOOOO!!!!!!

hi everyone, thanks for your replies!

Not sure about that' council nappy wash scheme' thing, would feel weird and would rather wash them myself but then Im abit funny about things like that!

Guess I will have to talk to my partner and weigh up the pros and cons!!!

Good point about using disposables when out, guess it would get a bit smelly! :lol:

Hi,

Our bin men have just gone to every two weeks but they are giving us BIG wheely bins......still dreading the whole nappy thing though as I remember just how many you get through!!!

The only other thing I don't like about the cloth nappies is by the time you have them on they almost seem to splay babies legs where there is so much bulk in between them..........there must be research somewhere which says this is fine for their hips but I wouldn't fancy it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back