Disposable vs reusable

MrsR

Reaction score
Starting to think about nappies as we got a voucher for a free pack of newborn huggies so I'm going to pick those up but I was wondering how many, if any, of us are considering reusable nappies? I'm thinking of using a mixture of both disposable and reusable and will be looking out for any help or information on reusable nappies from mums that have used them. What's everyones opinions?

Hmmm I've been thinking the same about using reusable for Jacob now as he only wears 4-5 a day now!

We're using terry nappies, it's always been my plan as the idea that each disposable nappy take between 500-700 years to biodegrade totaly put me off using them. I'd rather do the extra bit of hard work if it means that my baby can grow up in a world with a few less nappy mountains. Infact, I bought my first ones today!

:)

Im going to use cloth nappies and am in the transitional period of moving Rosie over to them aswell :) Also using homemade washable wipes and they are superior to disposables :)

That's what's making me really think of doing reusables though will use disposables when going out x x I hadn't thought about reusable wipes x x

All you need is a wet bag for nappies whilst out - just as easy as disposables :)

Got any more info on those re-usable wipes RM? Would love to go even more green :)

xxx

I just used terry material, stitched a hem on my machine - although they still frayed a little bit when I washed them I trimmed them and they are fine. You can get loads of info online if you do a search but I put mine in a solution of water and lavender oil; I find it only lasts a day not much longer before it goes a bit musty so I do a fresh set every day. Ive been using them for a few weeks now and can guage how many I need. When they are used I soak them in a Napisan solution until I have a load ready to wash and then I put them in with it. When I do my towells on a 60 degree wash I put them in with that too regardless of wether they are clean or dirty, that seems to give them a good thorough clean :)

This is a rough guide but there is so much info out there:

http://www.fill-your-pants.com/washablewipes.html

I also bought a Cheeky Wipes kit for the new baby which is gorgeous :)

The wipes are delicious and so much nicer on Rosie's skin, she hasnt had one bit of irritation at all since I started with them and we have saved £8 already in only a fortnight :)

I LOVE my cloth nappies and reusable wipes. I made my own wipes by cutting up a £2 fleece from Ikea and buying 2 boxes from there too - less than a tenner! I make my solution with camomile tea and lavender oil (MrsH's recipe) and the are WAAAAY better than normal wipes! Cloth nappies are easy IMO and I started thinking I'd mix (sposies for out and bed)and now we are 100% cloth :) I wash every other day and the modern nappies are unbelievable for absorbancy and wash up like new :D

what type of re-usables do you girls have? i have loads of different types - going to see how we get on!

Thanks guys that's really really helpful x x I can't sew and don't have a machine so hemming is a no no for me, would any terrie fabric do? x x

Terry frays like mad as I discovered, you can always use other material. I find it has the best traction against skin though :)

Itti Bitti, Issy Bear & Wee Notions mostly but I have had allllll sorts! Tots Bots Bamboozles and Fluffles, Blueberry, Bum Genius, Pop In........I bought a few of each type and then started working out what I like and what worked from there :)

Cheaper fleeces have good 'traction' or purchase as I call it!! :lol: They are a bit scratchier when wet than a fine micro fleece and they dont fray. I used pinking shears to make them pretty :) and they dry almost instantly - just bung them back in the tub straight from the washer.

OT - Rosies Mum - do you think its because you are using terry that you got the musty smell? Did you sort that? I wonder if it;s because they wont dry as quick as my cheapo fleece??

Last edited:
Ooooh and how do you keep the wipes wet? Like when you go out? I just said to OH 'what do you think' and he immediatly said 'what do you do with the pooh?'

You would have a wet bag for the dirty nappies so you just put them in the nappy like you would at home then the nappy and it's contents ie the wipes, go in the pail when you get home - simples :)

If you use cloth (or sposies) you tend to use the wipes and bung them in the nappy right? So when you use cloth if you use normal throw away wipes you have to fish them out of the nappy and bin them - or use reusable and they go in the pail with the nappies :)

I'm interested in this thread too girls, as I will have no money after baby and wonder how much this would save, does the extra wear on your wash machine and solutions outweigh the savings?

Do you take a spray water bottle in your bag to wet the reusable wipes or carry them damp already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back