Regrets/wishes about hospital bag

this might be a stupid question buy why have u all got the knickers in massive size compared to what ur earing now?

is it to keep the pads in place or do you get miles bigger in the last week?

this might be a stupid question buy why have u all got the knickers in massive size compared to what ur earing now?

is it to keep the pads in place or do you get miles bigger in the last week?

I took larger aizes because I had a section and needed them bigger to go over my scar rather than irritating it

Drinks!! Ribena kept me going thru the tough bits of labour. Also totally agree re pants and pads. For about an hour after birth the blood was running out of me :sick: I took in a couple packs of pads and still needed more. Disposable maternity pants are good too.
Magicool spray - I didn't have it but wish I did x

I drank ribena the whole time too! I was nil by mouth (can't remember why now) for over 24hrs so drank loads to get me through it!! x

I also ran out of nappies for Jack, I had the silly idea i'd give birth at 9am and be out at 5pm lol Ended up staying in 2 nights with him so make sure you have plenty just in case. Oh and a hand held fan was a godsend for me as the keep the maternity ward I was in like a furnace for the newborns. Not sure if it's the same in every hospital though x

Definitely the fan!

I wish I'd taken a THIN nighty though! i just had an old tshirt, but it made me so hot I ended up being more comfortable in a hospital gown throughout labour!

I really underestimated how many pads I'd need too, had to get my OH to bring more in for me!

Also lucozade was a really good idea, I got sick of being offered water and tea the whole time I was in hospital!

xx

I second the size 20 knickers after a c section. You need something that's big enough to go up to your waist so it doesn't sit on your scar tissue.

Defo drinks. I was in for induction for 2 days before having lo and went through that blue energy drink, powerade, like no ones business beforehand.

Feminax wipes were a god send as well. I felt really self conscious about my down below after toilet trips when it was needing to be inspected so often!

xx

Make sure you have a large bag of car park change for the OH in the car ready!! Esp if you end up staying a week and he is back and forth twice a day , (more for ladies with kids already, so OH can't stay long).

A Phone top up card or voucher, so you don't have to have your credit/debit cards in your purse, you can't be worrying about valuables on the ward, they could go missing. My phone was my lifeline for my OH and mates when I was in on my own.

To prevent having to take everything in - esp if you know your in for a section prepare little carrier bags with babygrow, bodysuit, few nappies, pants , change of nightie , mat towels etc , so your OH can grab it, without making poor
choices for you!!!

Have a (non seethrough) plastic bag for your oh to take home wet or dirty laundry in!!! or to fillup in your bag

Last edited:
With my labour being so quick, I didn't need half the stuff i took. All I needed was towel, wash stuff, clothes for me and lil man. But I suppose it was better to be prepared.x

NIPPLE SHIELDS!!!!!! That's if u plan on bf!! Godsend!!! And snacks and a sugary drink for energy those are a must!!!

Two bags are handy one for labour and babies first bits when he or she comes out and a bag for after, spare clothes for baby and extra nappies etc and a hange of clothes for u and mags etc if u have to be kept in. :)

Does anyone know if you have to take your own milk/bottles if you dont plan on breastfeeding? :)

Take loads of knickers and loads of pads, the night time ones work just as well as the maternity ones and are cheaper. I also took loads of nappies but its not essential because they can provide them. I was in for just over a week with amelia though.

My advice would be to bring those pre steralized bottles of formula that you can get in mothercare. I was too ill to feed harry myself for a few days and although I let im suck to stimulate the milk he wasnt getting anything so they were a god send as I didnt have to go to the milk room to steralize bottles etc (I couldnt walk and was hooked up to a drip)
ALso make piles of stuff that hubbie can just grab if you are in longer than expected, I was in a week in total and poor hubbie had to work out what I needed each day so I wish I had sorted it out before hand.
xxx

I wish I had taken more clothes for myself. I was so fed up of being stuck in my nightie but stupidly I only packed a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt to go home in. Oh and the hospital was absolutely freezing at night and I only packed a thin dressing gown. I only just bought enough baby clothes too, underestimated just how many outfit changes they need. xx.

Oh and a few people recommended freezing a bottle of water and taking it with you on the day or a mini fan and I didnt think I'd need it but you do get very got during the contractions and I was stood by the window trying to stay cool but I had to lie down and stay on the monitor (Angel HB kept fluctuating and I was induced) so I was boiling hot lol so def recommend a fan or freezing water x

A range of sizes for baby. We only took newborn & 1st size as Mw reckoned she'd be 7lbs and I had a neat bump. We were all shocked when a 9lber popped out and barely squeezed into her clothes. Hubby had to bring bigger ones in. more food, didn't eat in labour but after was starving and only got a free sarnie as canteen shut etc so ate all my snacks then and overnight. Also breakfast was tiny so all the fruit and nut bars were very much appreciated! Arnica, start taking it straight away. I used most stuff in ny bag when I got home as was useful to keep by the bed for a day or so

Great thread will be adding these ideas to my bag! Size 20 knickers :) haha! Food and water I need to put in xx

I didn't use 95% of what was in mine!!

My labour bag with snacks, fan etc didn't get opened till I decided I wanted lunch the next day.

At 7lbs she's too little for first size - gonna have to get some tiny baby.

And I came home with most of my pads and knickers unused. Lol.

Def worth separating into different bags though, cos with all the unused stuff it took ages to find things in my big bag. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back