Recurrent miscarriage?

flisstebbs

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I don't know if this is the right place to be, and I don't want to upset anyone by lodging myself in here.

I guess I am LTTTC as I've now been trying to have a baby for 2 years ish, not including a 5-6 month time out.

I had a MMC last year at 12 weeks, and just had a "failing pregnancy" which was managed as an ectopic with methotrexate. This in conjuction with a MC DH and I had in our early 20s (which we were grateful for at the time!), they are counting as the 3 strikes, so going to have all the tests done.

Although I won't be ttc for 6-8 weeks, I thought you ladies in here might have the best knowledge on what the tests are like and how to cope, and they will probably be going on while we are WTT.

Here's to a BFP that will bloody well stick.....

Hi hun,

Sorry to hear this, it's a shitty thing to have to go through. Once is bad enough but mulitple losses is just soul destroying!!

I sadly know fair too much about recurrent miscarriage and am happy to let you know what we experienced in terms of tests?

The ladies in LTTC are amazing, and were always a huge help to me.

I had 3 miscarriages in the space of 7 months last year (@ 8 w, 5w and 6w) so they were all early and all occured naturally. That doesn't change the fact I was in bits and thought I'd never manage to have a healthy pregnancy

GP referred me in November 2011, we had our appointment in Jan 2012 and got results in March 2012.

We went to UCH in London and the main things they tested for were

1) Womb abnormalities - internal scan for me
2) My blood - blood test
3) My Egg quality - blood test
4) Chromosome disorder - blood test for both me and OH.

They also looked at my hormone levels, my antiboidies, my thyroid and a few other things. I had two internals on certain cycle days and I gave 14 vials of blood in one sitting (it wasn't that bad :shock:). I also had to go back for a few more blood tests on various cycle days.

They did advise us that only 30% of recurrent miscarriages have an actual cause and that for most couples it is purely down to rotten luck!

I was also advised that if there was a problem with any of the above I'd need treatment. They said treatments could be:

1) Womb abnormalities - If I had cysts or anything wrong I could need surgery to correct
2) My blood - If I had sticky blood I would need a series of injections
3) My Egg quality - this could lead to IVF
4) Chromosome disorder - this could lead to IVF.

We got our 4th BFP the day before we got our results and as it turned out we fell into the 70% that just had rotten luck!! Our tests showed no reason at all for our losses.

The consultant said there was no reason for this pregnnacy to be successful and he gave me a prescription for high dose Folic Acid (I had to ask for this)

So far so good, so please don't give up hope just yet hun!

If you have nay more questions just ask

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks that's amazing. Dh is just relieved its only a blood test he has to do :)

Thanks that's amazing. Dh is just relieved its only a blood test he has to do :)

This was just what happened at our hospital and it can differ so use it as a guide hun!

They tend not to test sperm if you can get pregnant - my OH was the same about having to give a sample! They are so silly aren't they? :lol:

xxxxxxxxx

Hi hon, I've probably just got much the same advice to offer as nat, but I didn't get as far as the tests because thankfully our 4th bfp stuck too, just before our fertility dr appointment was booked. I too can relate to the sadness and frustration of recurrent pregnancy loss, but I feel very grateful that all mine last year were early, although consecutively so I felt like a complete failure month after month.

Anyway, loads of people here for support as you know, happy to help in any way xx

Hi girls my friend is about to go to the recurrent miscarriage clinic after 4 mc. My question is does she IVF on the nhs if she needs it? Xxx

Hi girls my friend is about to go to the recurrent miscarriage clinic after 4 mc. My question is does she IVF on the nhs if she needs it? Xxx

I think it depends where you live. Different places have completely different rules. Where we are (Surrey), they will do one cycle on the nhs if you've been trying more than 3 yrs, and meet a load of other stuff with regards to neither partner having children, BMI, smoking etc.

Best thing to do is contact local PCT and they will be able to tell you what the rules are. Some even have them on their website.

hi hun sorry your going through all this it really is rubbish. i had my 5th mc about 3 weeks ago. i have had lots of tests and they do know i have a problem with my blood clotting but am having more tests done again now. cant really add much to what the other girls have told you but wanted to wish you lots of luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back