Really Upset....

KarolinaMoon

Reaction score
Just back from my doctor, and to be honest I left in a worse state than when I went in. Honestly don't know what to do anymore. I've had little or no support from my hospital, and my doctors surgery are just so flippant and can't wait to get me in and out as quick as they can!!

I have been off work with nausea and dizziness for the last few weeks, and went to see my doctor today firstly to get a check up as they hospital didn't check my urine, bp or anything last week, but also to get my sick line for work renewed. My doctor wasn't going to give me another sick line, and said that really they can only sign pregnant ladies off work if they are so ill they have to go into hospital. She said that some women just have nausea and dizziness the whole way through and said that they just have to get on with it. I'd also told her about the stress in my work, and how I was finding it all a bit too much taking abusive phone calls from the public now that I was pregnant. I told her that I hadnt gone into work today as I was feeling really sick and light headed, and would need something to cover me for today anyway. She then wrote me a sick line for a week.

I then told her about the cramps and pains I have been getting low down, and she just said 'that can be normal'. I then asked about a urine test as I hadnt had one done at the hospital, to which she replied you are better giving a urine sample in the first half of the day. So I asked her for a sample tube...to which she replied, get it from the nurse. And that was it.

I arrived home in tears, and am sitting here sobbing and feeling even more stressed out. I feel like I am getting no support whatsoever. I really don't know what to do. I keep thinking that maybe this is normal for my area ( I am in Belfast), and I am over reacting. But it's making me feel so stressed and down. :(:(

What does everyone think? Is this normal care? Anyone receiving antenatal care in the Belfast area, are they receiving the same type of (non existant!!!) care?

xxx

sorry u feel like this hun !!!! suprised ur gp was not wanting to give u a sick note normaly they r pretty good !!! x

:hugs:
I've not really had any experiences which I can relate to yours with but I just wanted to send you some love! Sounds like you're having a rubbish time of it. Try not to stress about it (easier said that done!) and run yourself a nice bath and have a nice meal. I really hope you feel better soon :) xx

I know, it suprised me!! I came out feeling like the doctor didn't believe me that I was actually feeling sick!!!! Esp after telling her my work was stressing me out, I know doctor's have signed people off work for stress at work when they aren't pregnant!!!

Thanks Missy....I've actually had 100 times more support and advise from the ladies off PF than I've had at my hospital or doctors surgery!! I don't know what I would do if I didn't have this forum to turn to!

Oh my no! I'm in Belfast too and haven't been treated that way at all! Where is ur docs surgery??

Any time I have been to the hospital for appts, they have been fantastic (I'm in the royal) and the community midwives at my docs surgery are really helpful and happy to help out in any way and answer any questions I have.

I can't comment on the dr though as the only dealings I've had with a doc throughout my pregnancy was when I was admitted to hospital at 9 weeks. But no, that is absolutely not normal for Belfast, and I'd make a complaint if I were u.

So sorry ur feeling so low, hope u start to feel a bit better soon, and hope u get everything sorted xox

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that you have been treated this way, it doesn't sound supportive at all. Could you switch doctors? Hope you get sorted soon and are feeling better. xxx

regardless...you dont need to be signed off sick by your doc if your pregnant.
If your sickness is preg related your employer cannot sack you or dismiss you for it.
I had over 17 occasions and 40 days off sick before even starting maternity leave.
If you feel you cannot work, just call in sick - reason - preg related. They cannot ask more.
If you are sick because you caught the ''flu'' or you have ''sickness'' because of a normal bug - that can go down on your normal sickness record.
I found that I was waking up for early shifts feeling like crap and getting to 4/5pm and feeling fine. I got the doc to give me note to set/change my hours which your employer has to do.
Hope you sort it and this helps x

Sounds like an awful experience. Can you change which GP you see or book under another midwife/hospital. Hope you are feeling better today xx :hugs:

I would definitely consider changing doctor/midwife, that's too many times you've felt unsupported. Look at it this way, if something worse were to happen, would you trust their judgement? I know I wouldn't. I would start looking around to see what other GPs are taking on patients just now. Hope you feel better soon xx

Aww babe this sounds awful its not nice when everything comes together and makes you feel like crap! I don't think this is normal at all to be treated like this! Do you have a midwife appt coming up soon maybe they would be more helpful? I would deff make a complaint we are growing a life if there is anything wrong they should worry or at least give us the reassurance we need. Taking time off work is a pain but at the end of the day hun you and baby are far more important so try not to let that worry you too much...hope you start feeling better soon xxx

Jayjay you sound like you have had a completely different experience to me, I am with the Royal too, under shared care though. I think I have just been very unlucky. I have only actually had three appointments there, and each one I have been rushed in and out. The one I had last week was my last one I was told. For some reason they put me in a clinic for high risk pregnancy for epileptic mothers to be, and I was waiting two hours to see a m/w, then was rushed in and out.

My GP surgery is on the Ormeau rd, and I am seriously considering changing, they dont have any community midwives so I have to see the doctor anytime I go. I was just so shocked at my doctor's attitude, surely my health and that of my baby is more important than rushing me back to work?!

xx

Absolutely KM, I would definitely change, sooner rather than later so you can get a chance to get used to them for LO arrives. Best of luck xx

I understand your pain Karolina. Did you get your Matb1 sorted with your employer?? I went to the GP and they felt the baby's heartbeat and then checked mine to make sure it wasn't mine as they couldn't tell the difference between 150bpm and my 60 bpm, then i said i had massive circulationissues and they said just keep your feet up. They are so indifferent sometimes.

yeah got the MatB1 form off, and rang them to let them know I was getting it sent!!! Fingers crossed it wont cause any problems being a bit late!!
Your doctors appointment doesnt sound like it went great either Calphurnia!! You'd think circulation problems would be something they would take more seriously, than just telling you to put your feet up?! How are you feeling in general? i hope your circulation issues resolve, but wouldnt let it lie if it continues to cause you trouble!
My Hubby has said he is coming in with me to my next doctors appointment (I only have 2 more with my doctor anyway!!), just to make sure they do what they should be doing! I'm not sure if changing docotr at this stage is a good idea as it can take weeks to register at a new one...so I am thinking I might leave it till after LO is here.
I think some doctors just have this attitude towards pregnant ladies, thinking we are hypochondriacs or something lol.

xxx

yeah got the MatB1 form off, and rang them to let them know I was getting it sent!!! Fingers crossed it wont cause any problems being a bit late!!
Your doctors appointment doesnt sound like it went great either Calphurnia!! You'd think circulation problems would be something they would take more seriously, than just telling you to put your feet up?! How are you feeling in general? i hope your circulation issues resolve, but wouldnt let it lie if it continues to cause you trouble!
My Hubby has said he is coming in with me to my next doctors appointment (I only have 2 more with my doctor anyway!!), just to make sure they do what they should be doing! I'm not sure if changing docotr at this stage is a good idea as it can take weeks to register at a new one...so I am thinking I might leave it till after LO is here.
I think some doctors just have this attitude towards pregnant ladies, thinking we are hypochondriacs or something lol.

xxx

its good your hubby will go with you at your next appointments - i always feel braver when mine is with me to speak my mind.

My GP is a joke, so i'm glad i only saw him at the very beginning when i had to tell him i was pregnant, and after explaining my history of 2 miscarriages he asked me a few times over and over again if i was sure i wanted to keep the baby! They just dont understand.

It might be a good idea to move surgeries once lo is here anyway, that way you wont have to deal with them again and you wont need to rely on them to look after lo too.

If I were u, I'd write a letter to the surgery explaining exactly how u feel and how u feel uv been neglected in a way. And defo change docs once baby is born!

I can't understand why ur appts at the royal have been so rushed either, mine have all been fab.

My only problem is that one of mw's at my docs surgery is so scatty and every time I go in, she asks if we've met before! I'm like 'yes...ur my community midwife!!' And she keeps writing the wrong number of weeks in my notes, and she had to stab me 4 times to try and take blood, and eventually got the nurse in cuz she couldn't do it herself lol.

But yeah I'd definitely let ur surgery know ur not happy! X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Jay Jay, I think I have just been unlucky with my experience at the Royal....I think it just depends on who you get for the appointments sometimes. My appointment last week happened to be on a very busy day, and the fact I'd been put into a clinic for epileptic mums certainly didn't help!

As for my gp surgery, I think I might just complain, being made to feel even more stressed out than when you went in to see the doctor really isn't good for anyone, pregnant or not!!

By the way...hope you are feeling better today than you have been lately!! xx

xxx
Okay I am glad yu are finally being sorted. Yeah I Also forgot to tell her sometimes my hands go numb and tingle then the are okay, should have mentioned that to my GP but she's so uncaring and blaise about things didn't seem to make a difference. She just says that circulation gets worse during pregnancy. I am glad your hubby is supporting you so that they don't reat you crap.

Well I am buying a fetal heart monitor so I can measure my heart as the GP seems to not be great at this. Well my circulation I have gone before I got pregnant and they just feel my legs and say I don't have DVT so I am just tired of that same approach I just hope i'll be okay. I am low risk pregnancy and will just hope for the best. I am also appalled though they wouldn't sign you off, I've known people being signed off for their mother's brother's cats sister's son from dying. OH my god it is difficult to be treated this way. Let's just support each other and hope for the best LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back