Raspberry leaf tea....

NatEvz

Reaction score
Well i was chatting to my overdue pregnant friend the other night and asked if shed started drinking raspberry leaf tea and eating hot curries, walking lots and having lots of sex etc, and she said that her midwife had told her to stay clear of raspberry leaf tea as it can cause baby to pass meconium in the womb. Now its the first time ive ever heard anything like this and i was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything of the sort, as i was planning to go out and buy some tomorrow.

Thanks ladies xxx

To be honest, I've never heard of anything like that, and I have asked my midwife about RLT. She just said "each to their own".

Some MW's are really fussy though, and will try anything to get you to do what they think is best.
Ask your own, and see what she says - then do what you think is best.
That's probably the best advice I can give! x

Thanks Leah. I just thought i would ask, as ive never heard anything like it tbh. Ill speak to my midwife when i see her, although im not seeing her till a week on wednesday xxx

I have a ParentCraft session this Wednesday, I could ask then for you if you like?
Or maybe even give your MW a ring, they usually don't mind that :) x

i was talking to my mum about raspberry leaf. Not just tea but apparently u can get tablets too. She said she was tols that it helps to speed up labour. My sis took forever and she said when she drank it with me i was a short labour....

:/ im gunna drink it. What harm can it really do?

If you get chance hun, just mention it. If i had a regular midwife i could ring them to ask but i havent seen the same one twice through my pregnancy as they rotate. I shall ask whoever i get to see the next time i go in lol xxx

i was talking to my mum about raspberry leaf. Not just tea but apparently u can get tablets too. She said she was tols that it helps to speed up labour. My sis took forever and she said when she drank it with me i was a short labour....

:/ im gunna drink it. What harm can it really do?

Yeah this is basically the information ive heard too hun. It does nothing to induce labour but can speed up the second stage and can lead to less complications xxx

At the end if the day it's only tea, I can't see how that will make the baby poo

exactly.

They say only take it from 32w onwards and if u want it to have a proper effect then either drink the tea from 32w 1 cup a day and slowly increase it to 4 cups a day by 36/37w if not then to take the tablets as they are much stronger, so you can leave it later to start takin them.

I drank RLT from 32 weeks and done a lot of research beforehand. There is a lot iof mis-information out there, but in all my research I never once came across it causing the baby to poo. Castor oil can, but not RLT.

It also doesnt help to induce labour. What it DOES do very well, is help your uterus prepare for labour. There is a tonne of anecdotal evidence, including my own, for it helping with the 2nd stage (contractions easier), reducing the risk of tearing, and helping your uterus to contract back down afterwards. I cant recommend it highly enough for that!

My MW's advised I did drink it - which I did - and with one involuntary push he was born!

It also doesnt help to induce labour. What it DOES do very well, is help your uterus prepare for labour. There is a tonne of anecdotal evidence, including my own, for it helping with the 2nd stage (contractions easier), reducing the risk of tearing, and helping your uterus to contract back down afterwards. I cant recommend it highly enough for that!

This was my thought.... :D well now im 32w im gunna go and invest in my first box!
I used to drink this stuff loads when i went to my nans as it was the only hot drink she liked... :/ lets hope pregnancy hasnt turned me off it!

With DS I drank more than the recommended daily dose with two tea bags in as i developed quite a taste for it!! I did this from 35 weeks (are you able to drink it from 32 weeks now?) and he was a week early, although I don't think that was anything to do with it but the 2nd stage wasn't too traumatic and quite quick with no stitches or grazing. I will deffo be drinking this again!

With DS I drank more than the recommended daily dose with two tea bags in as i developed quite a taste for it!! I did this from 35 weeks (are you able to drink it from 32 weeks now?) and he was a week early, although I don't think that was anything to do with it but the 2nd stage wasn't too traumatic and quite quick with no stitches or grazing. I will deffo be drinking this again!

Me too, I really quite like the stuff!!

Thank you ladies :D Anyone enlighten me as to what it tastes like?xxx

Thank you ladies :D Anyone enlighten me as to what it tastes like?xxx

A little like bitter hot blackcurrant so I had sugar in mine. Brought on Braxton Hicks while drinking it!

Oh, this is exciting! I drank RLT while TTC and now will drink it during my last month of pregnancy. Anything to helps labor be more productive.

I found I really went off the taste in the last few weeks, so I started making up a jug to put in the fridge and would drink it cold instead - tastes so much better cold and its a lovely refreshing drink to have during labour too :)

I found I really went off the taste in the last few weeks, so I started making up a jug to put in the fridge and would drink it cold instead - tastes so much better cold and its a lovely refreshing drink to have during labour too :)

I used to do the same thing. I'd add a bit of stivita and it was good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back