Raspberry Leaf Tea/Tablets to get labour started

violet-glow

Reaction score
Ive just bought some Raspberry Leaf tablets off ebay, they arrived today... but before hand I did a little research on them.
As you can see below. Heres the link to the website:-

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnan...gyourbabysbirth/raspberryteaeaselabourexpert/

Ive started taking one tablet a day and seeing how I go with that

In a study carried out in Sydney, Australia, 192 first-time mums were given at random either a 1.2g raspberry leaf tablet or a placebo twice a day from 32 weeks of pregnancy. The herb had no harmful effects on mother or baby, and those women who had taken raspberry leaf tablets were found to have a shorter second stage of labour and a lower rate of forceps delivery (19.3% versus 30.4%). However, far more research is needed to confirm these results.

It is very important not to use raspberry leaves until the last two months of pregnancy because of their stimulating effect on the uterus.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Start with one cup of tea a day or one tablet and build up gradually to a maximum of four cups of tea or tablets daily.
The tea can be sipped freely during labour, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

You can buy raspberry leaf tablets from health food stores. However many women prefer to make a tea from the dried herb, which is available from some health shops and from herbal suppliers, such as Neal's Yard Remedies. It can also be obtained from a herbalist.

The tea, or infusion, can be made as follows: put 25g/1oz of the dried herb in a pot and pour on 600ml/1 pint of boiling water. Cover and infuse for 15 minutes. Alternatively, add 1 teaspoonful of the dried herb to a cup of boiling water.

thanks for the info violet, i was actually going to ask someone what the raspberry tea was used for, you must have read my thoughts :lol: .

Also just to let others know that in the last six weeks of pregnancy you can prepare your perineum (the bit between your fairy and your bum-hole) for labour by massaging it with olive oil or wheat germ oil to help prevent tearing. :D

is it too late for me to start taking it now then? :doh:

Sorry to pee on your parade, but I mainlined this stuff for 2 months and still went over with an unripe cervix! :D

Having said that, others rate it (Budge for one) and it's not TOO foul so maybe it's worth trying anything!!

Plus I wasted so much time massaging my perineum (not that OH thought it a waste of time :wink: ) only to end up with an episiotomy! Oh well! :roll:

Eblinx said:
is it too late for me to start taking it now then? :doh:

I dont think its ever to late hun... I think Budge was still taking it even though she was overdue :D

PLUS, since it helps tone the uterus, it's supposed to be good for those who know they're having Ceasarians.

My friend had an elective C-section and wasn't going to bother because she didn't need a ripe cervix but when she heard this she did and said it helped her recover! :D

Raspberry Leaf tea and olive oil tonight then! :lol:

I love that word 'Bum-hole' always makes me chuckle! What a saddo lol.

I have heard about massaging the oil and the RLT I think il give them both a bash, its something to do anyway :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back