• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Question about cleaning baby after birth...

BellaRiven

Reaction score
Hey ladies

I was wondering if you need to pack any baby bath stuff for after you have had baby, I know they clean baby off but I was always out of the rom when they did that bit with my neices and nephews :)

or do they just wipe them down and then you get them dressed?

Thanks in advance :)

For their first few baths it's just warm water and cotton wool anyway. Some babies don't get their first bath til they get home from hospital. They are cleaned off really well not long after being born x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was advised not to wash any vernix off, my LO only had a bit of blood on her head and the hat they put on her got most of it off by the time I took it off x

I'm still spot cleaning Albert, he hasn't had a bath yet and apart from e45 for his dry skin I don't use any products, tried the bedtime lotion and it woke him up too much lol. The mw's and hv have told me no products til he's 4-6 weeks although I do use sudocreme if his bum is sore.

My midwife said not to properly bathe LO, ie in a bath, with soap etc until he was 6 weeks old. We topped and tailed and cleaned him with cotton wool and warm water as needed, and touch wood, have never had any problems with his skin x

Last edited:
With Cam they rubbed him down with a towel, slid him down my top for a cuddle and then after I was sorted, they made him into a burrito. He wasnt bathed for 10 days as they suggest to leave them cause the goo helps their skin x

hey hun

with both of mine they were just rubbed down pretty much till there was no goo or blood on them, then dressed!! if you to the wards they usually recommend giving LO a bath and ususally show you how if ur first time mum, but they wont let u use any lotions or soaps etc as they expect you to just use water :)

hope this helps xxx

My midwife said not to properly bathe LO, ie in a bath, with soap etc until he was 6 weeks old. We topped and tailed and cleaned him with cotton wool and warm water as needed, and touch wood, have never had any problems with his skin x

Funny how different areas of the country have different guidelines. I was told just cotton wool and warm water till the cord dropped off then we were fine to bath her. We used johnsons 2-1 bath stuff (and still do) for her first proper bath with no problems.

I was told to only take cotton wool into hospital, i cant imagine not bathing my baby for weeks, think i will though but maybe just use warm water x

No way I am not bathing LO for weeks. I will use a mild baby soap from the first
Bath and if that irritates Los skin take it from there.

I used soap with Sophie when she was a week old and at first it dried it out but the second bath I put baby oil in and massaged her and since then we've had no dry skin.

I didn't bath Tyler for a week. He had an amazing smell and I had to make the most of it. After that we just used water and olive oil (as he had bad dry skin)

Yeah they really don't need products - Devon is now 15 mths and still we only use Dermacare sensitive or zero bath bubbles sometimes and othertimes just water ( Devon rubs all the skin off from behind one knee and ends up having to have it covered with sudocream and tubigrip or he will continue to shred it with his other foot or fingers till he is bleeding everywhere !)

In hosp I just used cotton wool and water - don't get cheep balls for hosp, get more expensive makeup squares of cotton wool. much easier for the eary baby poos being all slippy, (you don't need the greif in hosp!)
We used them for 6 mths at home, and so much nicer for babies bum

Zero bath bubbles? Is that good for skin as Tyler has dry patches and ignobly use aquerious (sp?) on him but treat him to one johnsons bubble bath a week. I've never heard of zero.

Hey ladies

Thanks for all your responses :)

I only asked as I wasn;t sure if I should take anything with me.

My friend who just had a baby gave her son a bath a few days after he was born but I am thinking I will go with the advice here unless Riven poops all over the show :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back